PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Football is fun again (EDIT: For Patriots Fans)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinkypete

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I don't know if I speak for anyone else here, but for me, the extreme dominance of the Brady Patriots took some of the fun away from watching the game. First the 2007 team unleashed a wave of cartoonish super-villainy on the league, then the 2011 - 2017 teams made 37 - 13 wins and trips to the AFCC game feel like a birthright. I lost my tolerance for anything short of assured destruction of the AFC.

This made 2019 (and most of 2018) particularly hard to watch. At the center of it was watching Brady as his emotions range from distant to pissed off to dejected. There is that story floating that Brady checked out in Pittsburgh in 2018. Remembering back to that game - his body language, all the balls he threw away - and comparing it to 2019, it seems about right. His last half-season was awful to watch.

At some point during the dynasty's second act, Brady became bigger than the team. I would cite the unveiling of the Brady mega-flag outside Gillette at the beginning of 2016 as the catalyst, and 28 - 3 sealed the deal by justifying GOAT status. As great a year as he had in 2017, things were never the same after 2016. The persistent drama over Jimmy G and Gurrero and TB12 and Gronk and the house and the contract reached such levels it sometimes felt more like early 90's WWE than the NFL. Brady deserves to be revered forever in this region, but it's ok to admit that the last few years (outside of those 2018 playoffs) kinda sucked.

Looking ahead, I am thrilled at what 2020 will bring. The Newton signing leaves the rest of the league clueless of what a Patriot offense will look like. Earlier this year we talked about the positionless defense, well we now have (to some extent) a positionless offense. Two WRs that can also pass, two WRs that can also run, an RB who doubles as a receiver, a FB who can catch, a TE who can play h-back, quarterbacked by one of the most explosive athletes ever to play the position. McDaniels and the Belichicks are going to sceme like mad scientists, and it will be thrilling to watch it unfold.

I have no idea if this team is going to go 6 - 10 or tear through the league and hoist #7, both seem equally likely. I am more excited about this team, not their chances per se, but at the prospect of watching a football game every week for 16 - 20 weeks, than I have been for years.

Last edited:
I...

Looking ahead, I am thrilled at what 2020 will bring. The Newton signing leaves the rest of the league clueless of what a Patriot offense will look like. Earlier this year we talked about the positionless defense, well we now have (to some extent) a positionless offense. Two WRs that can also pass, two WRs that can also run, an RB who doubles as a receiver, a FB who can catch, a TE who can play h-back, quarterbacked by one of the most explosive athletes ever to play the position. McDaniels and the Belichicks are going to sceme like mad scientists, and it will be thrilling to watch it unfold..
This this, all those teams who have tapes on us and Brady's tendencies are going to be starting from scratch. It is exciting. Glad this thread was not just about Brady but mainly about the Patriots.

Nice post ...
I agree with a lot of it ...
Some Patriot fans got to wrapped up into we need to win every year.
It would be great to win every year but at some point it becomes an obsession.
The forum back in the years before 2004 was a lot more laid back IMO.

I enjoy the team, for better or worse ... obsession with wining kind of ruins that.

So your thankful the greatest NFL dynasty in the history of the league is over because of expectations to win every year?
That is not how I read it, I read it as someone who is grateful for a new beginning and is excited for the future. He just enjoys the process and not necessarily the good results alone.

I'm in the same boat. Since like 2007 it has felt like the regular season doesn't matter and we are just watching the seeding play out. Now with playoffs far from a guarantee it really feels like the regular season is much more important. And the playoffs way more of a crapshoot

It’s absurd to think Brady checked out after the Pittsburgh game. Go rewatch the Chiefs playoff game.

I don't know if I speak for anyone else here, but for me, the extreme dominance of the Brady Patriots took some of the fun away from watching the game. First the 2007 team unleashed a wave of cartoonish super-villainy on the league, then the 2011 - 2017 teams made 37 - 13 wins and trips to the AFCC game feel like a birthright. I lost my tolerance for anything short of assured destruction of the AFC.

This made 2019 (and most of 2018) particularly hard to watch. At the center of it was watching Brady as his emotions range from distant to pissed off to dejected. There is that story floating that Brady checked out in Pittsburgh in 2018. Remembering back to that game - his body language, all the balls he threw away - and comparing it to 2019, it seems about right. His last half-season was awful to watch.

At some point during the dynasty's second act, Brady became bigger than the team. I would cite the unveiling of the Brady mega-flag outside Gillette at the beginning of 2016 as the catalyst, and 28 - 3 sealed the deal by justifying GOAT status. As great a year as he had in 2017, things were never the same after 2016. The persistent drama over Jimmy G and Gurrero and TB12 and Gronk and the house and the contract reached such levels it sometimes felt more like early 90's WWE than the NFL. Brady deserves to be revered forever in this region, but it's ok to admit that the last few years (outside of those 2018 playoffs) kinda sucked.

Looking ahead, I am thrilled at what 2020 will bring. The Newton signing leaves the rest of the league clueless of what a Patriot offense will look like. Earlier this year we talked about the positionless defense, well we now have (to some extent) a positionless offense. Two WRs that can also pass, two WRs that can also run, an RB who doubles as a receiver, a FB who can catch, a TE who can play h-back, quarterbacked by one of the most explosive athletes ever to play the position. McDaniels and the Belichicks are going to sceme like mad scientists, and it will be thrilling to watch it unfold.

I have no idea if this team is going to go 6 - 10 or tear through the league and hoist #7, both seem equally likely. I am more excited about this team, not their chances per se, but at the prospect of watching a football game every week for 16 - 20 weeks, than I have been for years.

Holy crap, but that's a godawful take on things.

It’s absurd to think Brady checked out after the Pittsburgh game. Go rewatch the Chiefs playoff game.
Not really, he may have thought it was we had no chance. Watch Do your job for that season and listen to Josh and what he had to do for the playoffs.
When Brady got to the Championship game, he was being doubted and that is what drives him. People doubting him, it is like a PED for him. I mean look at him now, not even a plague can make him spend time with his family.

Holy crap, but that's a godawful take on things.
Meh I don't think it is. I see it as watching years of Superman shows, knowing he's gonna beat the bad guy every time and any time there's a setback you know he's gonna be back cause he's basically immortal. Now his mortality is gone and it's no longer a guarantee. Kinda makes things more interesting (maybe a better word than fun)

Yeah, that is why I was initially excited about Stidham. It was a lot fun being a Pats fan in the 90's...going to the bar not knowing if the team was gonna win or get embarrassed on any given Sunday... With Cam...I am more excited and can't wait!

As for Brady...I'll always love the man and even will root hard for the Bucs this year. I will just hope that we never see him in SB 55....and that he tweaks an ankle prior to the game @ Gillette next year....and retires thereafter. I will even want to go to see his HOF induction in Canton sometime in 2026. He's one of Boston's Rushmore athletes....and played in Boston longer than anyone but Ray Bourque (23 seasons), Carl Yastrzemski (21 seasons), and technically Ted Williams (18 seasons, but WW2 duty in between).

I didn't think Patriots fans would act like fans across the league so quickly, but here we are.

I thought he was injured? MCL or elbow... Can't remember so many injuries

Watching my team win multiple Super Bowls was pretty fun, but that’s just me

I didn't think Patriots fans would act like fans across the league so quickly, but here we are.
I think most are struggling with the departure of Brady, understandably but this thread is just a bizarre take. I guess whatever folks need to get through.

In the last few years, we made two Superbowls.. winning one.

I do agree that the drama was getting a little ridiculous if you look at certain things, but at the same time it was always fun for me as a fan. It's still going to be fun even as a worse unit, but I don't agree with the take that football is fun again because imo it's always been fun watching Patriots play.... Win or lose.

I think most are struggling with the departure of Brady, understandably but this thread is just a bizarre take. I guess whatever folks need to get through.

It's refreshing actually. Or do you think it's fun to listening to your faction's constant whining and hoping for failure?

No one ever said it was supposed to be fun.

To me, that's stinky Pete.

The Tom and Bill show, which closely resembles the Bill and Red show from the 60's, gave me so many thrills with blowouts that my only worry was still having Tom in there. I couldn't believe my ears when there were NYFL fans who were whining about the Pats running up scores.

And the Tuckheads, led by their leaders, Jim Nance and George Atkinson, haven't stopped crying about a perfectly legitimate call for close to 20 years. For a team that proudly wears the motto "If You Ain't Cheatin' You Ain't Tryin' and wears black and silver with a logo of a thief, they sure do cry a lot.

And the Spybabies. Are they a barrel of laughs or what? I especially liked the way they wanted to punish the Pats retroactively by taking away from the 2001-04 teams. They needed help from the Star Trek crew or the Jetsons to make that possible.

And soon after that, the Asterjerks were born.
Then Defamegate.
The Comeback.
Silence of the Rams II

And through it all, the Tom & Bill Show prevailed. And I loved every damn minute of it and don't care to see more interesting games now.

Give me wins and make them HUGE please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing