Not open for further replies.

QuantumMechanic

Burn it all down!
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Saw this interesting tidbit in Reiss's Sunday notes:

Mike Reiss said:
2. Receiver Michael Floyd has stated his hope to return to the Patriots in 2017, and while that could still happen, it isn't the slam dunk that I previously envisioned. I now don't see the Patriots extending too far financially to retain Floyd, who at 6-foot-2 and 220 pounds brought a different type of physical presence to the receiving corps after being claimed in mid-December but also wasn't always on the same page as quarterback Tom Brady as he learned the team's system on the fly. If another team ups the ante with Floyd in free agency, I'd be surprised if the Patriots get into a competitive situation to retain him.

Given Reiss's usual style, that reeks of someone on the team handing him info on how the team views Floyd.

I read that, but not as a major negative. I saw it as the Pats would not break the bank to keep him based on his limited time with the team and positive (but imperfect) performance.

If another team sweeps in with a big contract, then I would fully expect the Pats would not match it in the hopes of his continued development (more so with the off field issues). I expect Floyd was brought in with the hopes his skills would make him immediately useful if needed given receiver injuries (despite lack of playbook familiarity). Keeping him was secondary.

Pats supposedly brought him up in the Chandler Jones trade.
My thought is its 50 50 really depends if Floyd wants to compete for a spot,or be guaranteed a 2nd or 3rd receiver slot elsewhere.
Im in the camp that says keep him for no more than 3 Mill.
I dont want to sniff a rookie receiver til late rounds.

Yeah, I was reading this. I mean I wouldn't pay too much for him I agree as our D is the main focus right now and keeping those pieces together. And if a team wants to outbid us for Floyd. It will suck but it is what it is

We are kinda loaded at wide out with Edelman, Hogan, Dola, and Mitchell. I don't think I'd re sign if I were Floyd.

I'd like to keep Floyd. The position he's in he is not going to be expecting a huge contract. He brings a certain toughness to the game. Not that our receivers aren't tough guys but Floyd has the big body and can play nasty.

Pats supposedly brought him up in the Chandler Jones trade.
My thought is its 50 50 really depends if Floyd wants to compete for a spot,or be guaranteed a 2nd or 3rd receiver slot elsewhere.
Im in the camp that says keep him for no more than 3 Mill.
I dont want to sniff a rookie receiver til late rounds.

3 mil is a lot for a player that is more then likely going to miss time this season due to suspension. when does his incarceration start?

We are kinda loaded at wide out with Edelman, Hogan, Dola, and Mitchell. I don't think I'd re sign if I were Floyd.

Passing through waivers (almost) may send a warning sign to Floyd he is viewed as a big risk. If Floyd were to get on the same page with Brady and clear the off field stuff, then he may see far better options in free agency. The belief he can be better than some of the options on the Pats may drive him to reach that end. He is also physically different, so he may believe a niche can be found despite the crowd.

He doesn't want to end up like DeAndre Hopkins, who easily could be a 100/1500 guy but has caught more than 100 receptions in 1 of 4 seasons with the Texans. While Hopkins is already a star (and can weather a down year), Floyd could fall off the cliff with a contract that puts him in a situation like that.

Saw this interesting tidbit in Reiss's Sunday notes:

Given Reiss's usual style, that reeks of someone on the team handing him info on how the team views Floyd.
No given reiss' history as an "analyst" it just seems like him speculating.
Nothing in there is new or different.

Passing through waivers (almost) may send a warning sign to Floyd he is viewed as a big risk. If Floyd were to get on the same page with Brady and clear the off field stuff, then he may see far better options in free agency. The belief he can be better than some of the options on the Pats may drive him to reach that end. He is also physically different, so he may believe a niche can be found despite the crowd.

He doesn't want to end up like DeAndre Hopkins, who easily could be a 100/1500 guy but has caught more than 100 receptions in 1 of 4 seasons with the Texans. While Hopkins is already a star (and can weather a down year), Floyd could fall off the cliff with a contract that puts him in a situation like that.
That was at the end of the season though with like 4 games left. Different than getting a guy for a whole season.

Edelmans contract is up after 2017. Amendola needs to take a 5mill paycut to stay.
Mitchell is a rookie who was a later round pick and seems injury prone.
There is plenty of need at WR.

Edelmans contract is up after 2017. Amendola needs to take a 5mill paycut to stay.

I really miss the poster here years ago who was unable to stop writing "injury proned"

I totally agree with this.

I don't know that Floyd is the right guy for this team, but looking down the road, I think there's real need at WR.

- Amendola is 31 and needs to take a pay cut to stay here. His contract is also up after 2017.

- Edelman is 30 and has taken some hellacious hits during his career so while we all love the guy, I don't really know how long he can be considered our #1 WR. Plus, as you point out, his contract is up after next season.

- Hogan is solid but is 28 and is signed through 2018.

- Mitchell is young and on a rookie contract and seems like the real deal but sometimes receivers regress after their first season. Wouldn't count my chickens with him quite yet, though I'm very optimistic.

If Floyd can get the system and be paid a reasonable contract, that's definitely something I'd like the Pats to pursue.

Or it just means they have a certain amount they'll go to and if Floyd is looking for more then "see you later"

I really miss the poster here years ago who was unable to stop writing "injury proned"
My friend used to think it was passing interference for some reason lol.

From our perspective sure, but from his and his agent couldn't he find a better opportunity with a chance to be a #2 or even #1? I think Titans are hurting at wide out.

Maybe the Pats still trade for Deandre Hopkins?
They tried before maybe they offer their First or Jimmy Straight up for him?

Maybe Houston isnt interested trading him however the fact we tried to trade Collins for him tells me the Team really thinks he would fit here.
However Im in the lets just Keep Floyd club

I am not worried either way. Edelman, Hogan, Mitchell (year 2 jump), Amendola. Seems fine to me. I guess Floyd be nice but not needed. I would rather spend mostly on D anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back