PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First round mock and what I think teams do.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
1. CLE- Myles Garrett DE - Best overall player
2. SF- Jonathan Allen DL - Good fit in their D and 2nd best player. QBs suck tbh.
3. CHI- Malik Hooker S - This team needs D help
4. JAX- Derek Barnett DE - More pass rush. No idea if he grades out this high but he could. This was the single hardest spot for me to mock TBH.
5. TEN- Corey Davis WR - Best pass catcher in the draft to help their young QB.
6. NYJ - Dalvin Cook RB - Has been mocked a lot. Makes sense. Best RB IMO.
7. SD - Jamal Adams S - SD helps it defense out.
8. CAR- Marshon Lattimore CB - Needs a CB. A few guys could be considered the best.
9. CIN- Reuben Foster LB - Just makes sense to me.
10.BUF- Cam Robinson OT - Bills take a shot on a talented but troubled player.
11. NO- Marlon Humphrey CB - Saints can not pick enough D this draft.

12.CLE- ***Trade for Jimmy G*. After looking at QBs this makes the most sense for them. 1st & 3rd and we send them a 4th next year. Getting a 4th this year from them makes no sense.

Pats pick: Quincy Wilson CB - We may see record CBs go off the board. I was torn on who the Pats pick here and a trade down is possible (maybe likely) but I will keep it simple. Wilson is clearly a first round CB and he has a great mix of size and skill and if Ryan walks is a huge need. I was thinking pass rusher but no one i like quite enough at #12 to do it for.
Alternatives: Fournette - RB, Taco Chartton - DE, Sidney Jones - CB

13.ARI- Ryan Ramczyk OT - Tiny reach but the best option at a need position. Also not many good OTs this draft so now or never.
14.PHI- Leonard Fournette RB - Need a RB and they are glad he fell this far.
15.IND- Sidney Jones - CB - Need D help badly. This fits.
16.BAL- Taco Charlton DE - Taco rises up more before the draft.
17.WAS- Adoree Johnson - CB - Possibly besides Garrett the most talented player in the draft but needs to learn a lot about football. Washington decides to be the one to take the shot just as we enter the 2nd half of the first round.
18.TEN- David Njoku TE - Character concerns push Howard down. Titans need offensive play makers badly. Take a shot on huge upside but still a reach.
19. TB- Zach Cunningham LB - Many good options but Zach is too good to pass up on.
20.DEN- Mitch Trubisky QB - First QB off the board to the team that needs one the most. When all is said and done I think Mitch goes first.
21.DET- Takkarist McKinley EDGE - Lucky he slipped so far.
22.MIA- Jabrill Peppers S - Hybrid guy finds a home here.
23.NYG- Christian McCaffrey RB - NY needs more pass catchers and a RB. Bit of a reach here IMO but fits too well for them as he helps both problems.
24.OAK- Solomon Thomas DE - Needs pass rush help. This guy is a gift at 24. Steal of the draft but honestly I see him as the 16th or so best player so not as big a steal as some think.
25.HOU- Pat Mahomes - QB - Play maker at QB is much needed. Pat will help instantly but his upside IMO is questionable.
26.SEA- Quenton Nelson - G - I think he declares and though G in the first round isn't great it is a good fit of need and talent. Nelson is one of the rare Gs worth a first.
27. KC- Mike Williams WR - KC will talk themselves into this. I think it is a reach. He will be okay but not special.
28.DAL O.J. Howard TE - Replacement for Witten but a risky pick IMO.
29. GB- Chris Wormley - DL - People will talk CB help but the DL needs help too and unlike the CBs wasn't injured to **** :p
30.PIT- Charles Harris DE - Their coach is the issue but that aside if they plan to do the same scheme over and over they better pass rush at least.
31.ATL- Dawuane Smoot DE - Atlanta needs more pass rushers on the outside. Smooth is a fair option.

32. NE- Jarrad Davis - LB - Tough spot for the Pats. If not for the run on edge guys I think they go that direction but now the talent doesn't work as well for this spot. Walker is good but questions on attitude worry me a bit. Read about them on a tweet and it gave me pause. If not for that I would go with him here. Williams is interesting too but I don't see a great fit. Jarrad is a safer pick at a need position and good value.

Alternatives: Demarcus Walker* - DE, Tim Williams - Edge, Jalen Taylor - CB (off field issues dropped him in a strong CB class), Malik McDowell - DT/DE, Caleb Brantley - DT

Notes: I know the only trade is the Patriots one but I don't want to project non-Patriots trades. Too much to consider. Also I hate my #4 pick but after a while I had to go someone. I know Corey Davis at #5 seems high and it is a bit. But you wait. In a weak top end WR class he is clearly the top talent and it will drive his market up as the best pass catcher in the draft. In the end i mocked the 2 QBs i personally believed in the most. I have to think when said and done other teams will too. Full disclosure i have not closely looked at all these players but i looked at enough to work around that and be pretty fair. For the rest i took notes from mock sites i like and people on this site whose opinions i trust.

Last edited:
Great effort. I just wanted to point out that the deadline to declare was January 16th, so we already know the full list of underclassmen who are eligible for the draft.

Could you elaborate on Howard's character concerns? This is the first I've heard of anything like that. I thought he was pretty universally praised on and off the field.

Great effort. I just wanted to point out that the deadline to declare was January 16th, so we already know the full list of underclassmen who are eligible for the draft.

Could you elaborate on Howard's character concerns? This is the first I've heard of anything like that. I thought he was pretty universally praised on and off the field.

Found it! post 918 from Bacon in the prospect thread. And i Quote

"TE O.J. Howard, Alabama: A false start penalty, multiple dropped passes, poor effort on a catch able target, and lining up with a stance that you’d think would have been addressed at Alabama were among the things that confirmed my concerns about Howard on tape. Howard is the most impressive athlete at the position in Mobile, but his approach to the game is a detriment to his ability."

I read that and got concerned. Lack of focus or effort is a red flag for me. Looks like he had both. That to me is enough to drop him from top 20 consideration and likely off my first round Pats board.

I think in the draft sometimes we over value talent and under value mental make up.

Last edited:
1. CLE- Myles Garrett DE - Best overall player
2. SF- Jonathan Allen DL - Good fit in their D and 2nd best player. QBs suck tbh.
3. CHI- Malik Hooker S - This team needs D help
4. JAX- Derek Barnett DE - More pass rush. No idea if he grades out this high but he could. This was the single hardest spot for me to mock TBH.
5. TEN- Corey Davis WR - Best pass catcher in the draft to help their young QB.
6. NYJ - Dalvin Cook RB - Has been mocked a lot. Makes sense. Best RB IMO.
7. SD - Jamal Adams S - SD helps it defense out.
8. CAR- Marshon Lattimore CB - Needs a CB. A few guys could be considered the best.
9. CIN- Reuben Foster LB - Just makes sense to me.
10.BUF- Cam Robinson OT - Bills take a shot on a talented but troubled player.
11. NO- Marlon Humphrey CB - Saints can not pick enough D this draft.

12.CLE- ***Trade for Jimmy G*. After looking at QBs this makes the most sense for them. 1st & 3rd and we send them a 4th next year. Getting a 4th this year from them makes no sense.

Pats pick: Quincy Wilson CB - We may see record CBs go off the board. I was torn on who the Pats pick here and a trade down is possible (maybe likely) but I will keep it simple. Wilson is clearly a first round CB and he has a great mix of size and skill and if Ryan walks is a huge need. I was thinking pass rusher but no one i like quite enough at #12 to do it for.
Alternatives: Fournette - RB, Taco Chartton - DE, Sidney Jones - CB

13.ARI- Ryan Ramczyk OT - Tiny reach but the best option at a need position. Also not many good OTs this draft so now or never.
14.PHI- Leonard Fournette RB - Need a RB and they are glad he fell this far.
15.IND- Sidney Jones - CB - Need D help badly. This fits.
16.BAL- Taco Charlton DE - Taco rises up more before the draft.
17.WAS- Adoree Johnson - CB - Possibly besides Garrett the most talented player in the draft but needs to learn a lot about football. Washington decides to be the one to take the shot just as we enter the 2nd half of the first round.
18.TEN- David Njoku TE - Character concerns push Howard down. Titans need offensive play makers badly. Take a shot on huge upside but still a reach.
19. TB- Zach Cunningham LB - Many good options but Zach is too good to pass up on.
20.DEN- Mitch Trubisky QB - First QB off the board to the team that needs one the most. When all is said and done I think Mitch goes first.
21.DET- Takkarist McKinley EDGE - Lucky he slipped so far.
22.MIA- Jabrill Peppers S - Hybrid guy finds a home here.
23.NYG- Christian McCaffrey RB - NY needs more pass catchers and a RB. Bit of a reach here IMO but fits too well for them as he helps both problems.
24.OAK- Solomon Thomas DE - Needs pass rush help. This guy is a gift at 24. Steal of the draft but honestly I see him as the 16th or so best player so not as big a steal as some think.
25.HOU- Pat Mahomes - QB - Play maker at QB is much needed. Pat will help instantly but his upside IMO is questionable.
26.SEA- Quenton Nelson - G - I think he declares and though G in the first round isn't great it is a good fit of need and talent. Nelson is one of the rare Gs worth a first.
27. KC- Mike Williams WR - KC will talk themselves into this. I think it is a reach. He will be okay but not special.
28.DAL O.J. Howard TE - Replacement for Witten but a risky pick IMO.
29. GB- Chris Wormley - DL - People will talk CB help but the DL needs help too and unlike the CBs wasn't injured to **** :p
30.PIT- Charles Harris DE - Their coach is the issue but that aside if they plan to do the same scheme over and over they better pass rush at least.
31.ATL- Dawuane Smoot DE - Atlanta needs more pass rushers on the outside. Smooth is a fair option.

32. NE- Jarrad Davis - LB - Tough spot for the Pats. If not for the run on edge guys I think they go that direction but now the talent doesn't work as well for this spot. Walker is good but questions on attitude worry me a bit. Read about them on a tweet and it gave me pause. If not for that I would go with him here. Williams is interesting too but I don't see a great fit. Jarrad is a safer pick at a need position and good value.

Alternatives: Demarcus Walker* - DE, Tim Williams - Edge, Jalen Taylor - CB (off field issues dropped him in a strong CB class), Malik McDowell - DT/DE, Caleb Brantley - DT

Notes: I know the only trade is the Patriots one but I don't want to project non-Patriots trades. Too much to consider. Also I hate my #4 pick but after a while I had to go someone. I know Corey Davis at #5 seems high and it is a bit. But you wait. In a weak top end WR class he is clearly the top talent and it will drive his market up as the best pass catcher in the draft. In the end i mocked the 2 QBs i personally believed in the most. I have to think when said and done other teams will too. Full disclosure i have not closely looked at all these players but i looked at enough to work around that and be pretty fair. For the rest i took notes from mock sites i like and people on this site whose opinions i trust.

Isn't our 2018 4th rounder property of the Eagles now from the Rowe trade or did we have 2?

Soloman Thomas could go 4th. And, Mike Williams will be the first WR taken IMO. I love the Malik Hooker pick but it's been reported that he's had labrum surgery and am guessing will drop a few picks. Love a cb at 12. I'd love to get that edge at 32. Could we trade up to 26 with Seattle? Especially if they lose a pick over Sherman injury flap. If not, I'd trade down given your board.

Isn't our 2018 4th rounder property of the Eagles now from the Rowe trade or did we have 2?

I thought that was turning into a 3rd. Could be wrong. either way something will be worked out I am sure but that doesn't effect the first round at least :p

Interesting board for sure. There are so many moving pieces at this stage, it's hard to pinpoint too many picks.

If I were to work off your board, I'd be going Taco at 12 and someone for the secondary at 32 (tabor, Conley, baker, melifonwu, Williams). I think taco had the ideal measurements we will be looking for, and there is so much value later on at corner.

Good stuff.

Soloman Thomas could go 4th. And, Mike Williams will be the first WR taken IMO. I love the Malik Hooker pick but it's been reported that he's had labrum surgery and am guessing will drop a few picks. Love a cb at 12. I'd love to get that edge at 32. Could we trade up to 26 with Seattle? Especially if they lose a pick over Sherman injury flap. If not, I'd trade down given your board.

I would trade down too. Honestly you could switch the Soloman, Charlton and Barnett picks around fairly easily. They are very similar players. After the top 2 players I see a fairly big drop off (now that hooker is hurt). Not that they are bad players just I don't see a huge difference between #4 and #30 this year which is rare. There are differences though and If I was just focusing on the Pats I would do more trade downs as it makes sense but I wanted to give 1 pick to near every team.

Interesting board for sure. There are so many moving pieces at this stage, it's hard to pinpoint too many picks.

If I were to work off your board, I'd be going Taco at 12 and someone for the secondary at 32 (tabor, Conley, baker, melifonwu, Williams). I think taco had the ideal measurements we will be looking for, and there is so much value later on at corner.

Good stuff.

I agree with you mostly. Taco was the guy I was thinking about taking there too if not a CB but I just don't like him enough at 12 and rarely do you see a fairly sure CB prospect at 12 that is 6'1. I could easily change my mind though and take Taco though. It was close.

The things about my board i feel most confident about are..

#1 The QBs will fall more than most mockers think.
#2 Corey Davis WR will be the #1 WR by a huge margin.
#3 Defense will dominate the first round and teams will not over reach on this weak offensive class (weak for round 1.. the value becomes better in rounds 2-4)
#4 Jimmy G get traded at least 12 or higher cause no QB in this draft is even arguably better than him.
#5 We will see a lot of the same 30 players move up and down cause only a few players clearly separate from the rest at their position. To me they only guys that truly separate are Garrett(DE), Allen(DT), Davis (WR), Hooker/Adams(S), Foster(LB) Cook/Fournette(RB). Those guys to me are the only clear top talents that have separation from their position and a top half first round grade. Fournette dropping to 14 on this mock is very low for him IMO. Everyone else imo is subject to move up or down.

Last edited:
I agree with you mostly. Taco was the guy I was thinking about taking there too if not a CB but I just don't like him enough at 12 and rarely do you see a fairly sure CB prospect at 12 that is 6'1.

I could easily change my mind though and take Taco though. It was close.

And to be fair, I love Quincy Wilson, and would be great value at 12. He could easily find his way in to top 5 conversation given how equal a lot of the talent is in this draft.

I thought that was turning into a 3rd. Could be wrong. either way something will be worked out I am sure but that doesn't effect the first round at least :p

I don't think he met the playing time requirements this year.

But yes, didn't harm anything. Just trying to point it out. And I definitely could live with your mock. :)

I don't think he met the playing time requirements this year.

But yes, didn't harm anything. Just trying to point it out. And I definitely could live with your mock. :)

He didn't hit it this year, but can still hit it next year. More likely next if Ryan is gone.

I would love to grab a Barnett like defender at #12. Then mabye give McCaffrey a look at #32.

Nice job!

I'm a huge Q fan so I have no problem w/ the pick.

Only thing is we would've had incredible value at the Rush/Edge position and I'm not a huge Barnett fan which again makes the value incredible imho.

Love Davis as well.

Anything but Walker haha. Not a huge fan of his at all. I'd def prefer a Brantley or Mathis (I think hes gone by 20 tho)

Great effort on this mock.

I was very sad to see Harris go before we could get him at #32, but I think you are right, he will climb the draft board.

Ps: I know the packers do not sign free agents, but chandler jones is a perfect fit for what they need most.

A bit late to this, but really interesting reading, thanks for putting it together.

One thing: the Broncos taking another 1st round QB after trading up to get Paxton Lynch last year doesn't seem like it will happen.

I like the pick at 12. I would also be good with Taco there. Could be a good spot to pick up Ninko's eventual successor, and with Long and Sheard both FAs, could use a bit more depth there.

Found it! post 918 from Bacon in the prospect thread. And i Quote

"TE O.J. Howard, Alabama: A false start penalty, multiple dropped passes, poor effort on a catch able target, and lining up with a stance that you’d think would have been addressed at Alabama were among the things that confirmed my concerns about Howard on tape. Howard is the most impressive athlete at the position in Mobile, but his approach to the game is a detriment to his ability."

I read that and got concerned. Lack of focus or effort is a red flag for me. Looks like he had both. That to me is enough to drop him from top 20 consideration and likely off my first round Pats board.

I think in the draft sometimes we over value talent and under value mental make up.

Sounds like a Cowboy to me..

More generally, I don't think Denver will draft another QB that early and even if I'd would be very surprised if they are the first to do so.

Apart form that it is a good start and I like most of the picks..

Would love to grab Fournette with #12 if he fell that far, but I believe BB trades down out of #12 (if he gets that trade) for extra picks ..........Pats are pretty well set with a solid WR corps and with Gronk healthy at TE I see a nitemare for defenses to cover all the Pats offensive weapons.....Go Defense early and often along with a top OL if available in a value spot. We all know BB thinks RB's can be grabbed just about anywhere but a stud top RB would be nice ..... LGB is getting long in the tooth....

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back