PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First Boston Sport experience?

Loving_life35

On the Roster
Reaction score
Just curious. What was your first Boston sport experience? Patriots? Bruins? Etc

What got you hooked?

Just curious. What was your first Boston sport experience? Patriots? Bruins? Etc

What got you hooked?

One of my first professional sports memories was going to see the Pats play the Phins at Sullivan stadium as a kid with my dad. I was maybe 7 years old and we sat on those uncomfortable metal benches…the place was a dump but it had great site lines. If I am remembering correctly, the backs to the benches were supposed to be installed but instead just sat in some warehouse for decades. That story may have been apocryphal.

After the game, we tailgated with Brian Holloway and Mosi in the parking lot, which was awesome. My dad’s lawyer friend who gave us the tickets and sat next to us must have been friendly with one or both of them. Years later I remember my dad saying how impressed he was with Holloway’s intelligence. He was certainly intelligent enough to park himself next to Hannah, who carried him on his back to the tune of 3 Pro Bowls. That was also the day that Stanley Morgan became my favorite player.

Fenway Park, for sure.

The place I really miss though is the old Boston Garden. Sitting in the front rows of the upper level was the best sports experience I ever had. Watched the 80s Celtics up there, Beanpots, Bruins games. There was no other arena like it.

What got you hooked?
My first concrete memory was Mosi Tatupu scoring 3 TDs against the Rams in 1983, I have vague memories of the Celtics winning in 81 and Yaz running around after his retirement.

Watching the Pats on a tiny (13 inch?) b&w TV during the 81 season (only the road games -- home ones were blacked out!) Going to a Red Sox game in the summer of 82. Fenway Park was a great experience, but football was the game for me.

My Dad had Celtics tickets given to him. Younger brother & I were very young teens. Took T into Boston from Arlington and watched classic Celtics game from floor seats. Russell era. Saw several Celts games. My 1st favorite team. Big KC jones fan.
1st football was Pats at Harvard Stadium vs Houston oilers and Pats games Friday nights at Fenway park. Fenway bleacher (endzone) seats were something like $2. Denver's fat Billy Joe who was wider than tall rolled something like 75 yds for a TD in a Boston Patriots loss. Also saw All World Lance (Bambi) Alworth San Diego in another Pats loss. Great broken beer bottle fights in the row behind me.

1st memory was being at Teddy Ballgame's last game. I was 6.
Don't remember much.
The Old Garden. Saw a bunch of games with my Dad. Russell vs. Wilt. Harlem Globetrotters when they were at their coolest. Meadowlark Lemon. Curly Neal.
Never forget being one of hundreds of teenagers storming the gates at a Bruins playoff game.Orr Era.
Saw the Boston Patriots play at Fenway,Harvard,Nickerson,BC before Sullivan/Schaeffer was built.
Those were awesome because my only brother was old enough to go. My Dad and my bro. Nance was obviously my favorite early Patriots player. Gino a close second.
The Old Garden was the best. Rats scurrying around your feet. Smoke heavy in the air. But it was a true homecourt/ice advantage. Loud. Great atmosphere.

My dad and me, Fenway, 1971, center field bleachers. We drove down from Maine. I was 10. I'll never forget how green that grass was.

Game was great too... 0-0 until the 13th, when Rico hit a 3-run homer.

BTW, the Sox starter pitched 10 shutout innings, fanning 9. Some scrap-heap guy making his first start for Boston...

...Luis Tiant. :)

Last edited:
Italy Vs Nigeria in the 1994 World Cup. If Foxboro counts.

Late 70's, went to my 1st Pats game at Schaefer Stadium.
Sat in one of the last rows a few seats away from a young guy who mooed like a cow for 4 quarters
Don't remember who played or anything about the game, but I can still hear the guy mooing

About the same time, my father would occasionally be given free Sox tickets from a season ticket holder. Every time, the tickets were for the Minnesota Twins who were always awful. I still remember how empty Fenway was at these Twin games

My first Celtics game, bought tickets from a broker ($60 each, 10 rows behind basket) and took my folks to see the Twin Towers of Houston play against Larry God. What an era!

Sox-Angels the day after Tony C. was accidentally beaned by Jack Hamilton. 12-11 Sox.

I am not sure which moment popped my cherry, probably the Bruins' epic fights in the late 70's. Since I was hockey player at a very young age, I was obsessed with the Bruins before really discovered the Patriots.

One of my earliest memories was in 1979 when I had a game at the same arena where the Bruins practiced. It might have been Danvers, but can't remember for sure. As we were getting ready to leave, someone said the Bruins were finishing practice on the other rink. Autograph time for this 8 year old! Even better, this was less than a week after the infamous "The Bruins have gone into the stands and are fighting the fans" game at Madison Square Garden.

I remember specifically getting Terry O'Reilly's autograph and asking him how badly his skate blades were damaged by going into the stands. He could tell I thought it was the coolest moment ever. He, of course, downplayed it saying he shouldn't have done that.

Love those old Bruins teams!

Fenway Park in 1996. I was 10 and there was a benches-clearing brawl between the Sox and the Yankees.

Seeing Squish the Fish signs all over the region.
That's back when we had much cooler t-shirts. I had a few.Everything was unlicensed. Especially during that Pats' playoff run you saw some really funny t-shirts. The official NFL stuff today mostly sucks.

My dad and me, Fenway, 1971, center field bleachers. We drove down from Maine. I was 10. I'll never forget how green that grass was.

Game was great too... 0-0 until the 13th, when Rico hit a 3-run homer.

BTW, the Sox starter pitched 10 shoutout innings, fanning 9. Some scrap-heap guy making his first start for Boston...

...Luis Tiant. :)

I was already in college, Rover, but I was at that game with a great friend, we were sitting only a few rows behind the Sox dugout. Was a terrific pitcher's battle, both Jim Perry and El Tiante pitched near flawlessly, then Rico hit a 3 run Johnson in the bottom of the 13th. Got back to Providence in the wee hours, you got back even later.

I've been very fortunate. I've seen Ted Williams play, the 60's Celtic teams, the Pats from the very beginning, and the Bruins before and after the
great Bobby Orr. It's been a very fun ride.

Had to read your post twice as I thought you meant Tedy Bruschi! :)
Yeah man I got no recollection of T.Williams. I was like 6. But Bruschi of course on the very short list of my favorite Boston athletes. An even better dude off the field.

"What was your first Boston sport experience? - What got you hooked?"

The first team that got me hooked was "The Impossible Dream" 1967 Red Sox.

IMO, that team coached by **** Williams was the scrappiest and most likeable Red Sox team ever. As the 67 season wore on they kept on coming from behind to win games that made me and most Boston Fans believers. Unfortunately the 67 season ended with the RS losing game 7 of the World Series to the Cardinals. That seventh game was played on the day of my best friends wedding and at the reception we were getting updates on the score. When they finally lost the game and the series, the wedding reception became about as gloomy as a funeral. (Poor Bride) I'll never forget that season and can still name the starting lineup from memory.

BTW, I remained hooked on the RS for many years but must admit that I've become more of a "fair weather" Red Sox fan now for too many reasons to mention. Patriots have been and still are number one now. :)

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back