Final 53 man roster thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

luuked

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Reiss just posted what I would expect is his final projection:

Patriots' 53-man roster projection includes surplus of receivers

And it more or less matches my own opinion. I don't want to give it all away since he works for those clicks but here are some nuggets:

He keeps 3QBs:

In the words of coach Bill Belichick, "Nobody needs insurance until you need insurance."
Plus, Hoyer has been excellent this preseason, not to mention that his value as a scout-team quarterback was cited by players as a key in their 2018 Super Bowl championship season.

also 6 WR (+ Slater) which leaves Gunner on the outside.

Similar to what I was speculating in a different thread he also mentions that going into only the first week (with Kendricks being back for W2, giving 2 weeks of an extra roster spot) with 1 TE would not shock him much:

The Patriots figure to be on the lookout around the NFL for help at tight end, and it wouldn't be shocking if the club keeps just one player at this spot initially.

The most interesting thing he mentions is a Elandon Roberts trade. Also has Dawson making the roster.

Since I didn't see it anywhere on the first page I just thought we might as well give it a go at our own projections.

QB: Brady, Hoyer, Stidham
RB: Michel, White, Burkhead, Harris, Bolden
FB: Develin
WR: Edelman, Harry, Gordon, Dorsett, Thomas, Meyers
TE: Izzo
OL: Wynn, Thuney, Karras, Mason, Cannon, Skipper, Froholdt, Ferentz
DL: Bennett, Guy, Shelton, Butler, Cowart, Wise, Parry
LB: Hightower, KVN, Collins, Bentley, Winovich, Simon
CBs: Gilmore, JMac, JJones, JJ Williams, JC Jackson, Crossen, Dawson
S: DMac, Chung, Harmon, Brooks
ST/K: Ghost, Bailey, Cardona, Slater, Ebner

I know 1 TE looks really, really thin but Kendricks will be back from suspension in W1 giving them one extra roster space as his first week back he will have a practice exemption. And Watson is coming back 3 weeks later.

I am sure I forgot someone obvious as is tradition. I was also thinking about leaving 1-2 spots empty for some players other teams cut but this year's group is pretty strong.

EDIT: This is assuming that Andrews is gone for the year which is the safest health option, Calhoun starts on IR. No clue about Rivers... IR, trade or cut.

Last edited:

And it more or less matches my own opinion. I don't want to give it all away since he works for those clicks but here are some nuggets:

He keeps 3QBs:

Similar to what I was speculating in a different thread he also mentions that going into only the first week (with Kendricks being back for W2, giving 2 weeks of an extra roster spot) with 1 TE would not shock him much:

The most interesting thing he mentions is a Elandon Roberts trade. Also has Dawson making the roster.

Since I didn't see it anywhere on the first page I just thought we might as well give it a go at our own projections.

I am sure I forgot someone obvious as is tradition.

I would kick off Dawson for Obi.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think 11 DB's are too many and 1 TE is not enough......otherwise pretty good......

I'm concerned about the LB group lacking in coverage ability

These are both good rosters. Any debate is really over a couple of spots.

I think it's more likely they keep Hoyer now with Andrews and King on IR. Easier to protect a couple of the young players.

Reiss agrees with me that seven OL to start. I see no need to protect a JAG week one, just to have 8. There's likely a trade or waiver pickup on the horrizon.

You went with Izzo as the one TE and cut Munson?

I still think Calhoun was doing enough to make the roster before he was hurt.
Pup or IR?
Is this the end of Derek Rivers Patriots career?
I think they should IR him and give him another off season if he's hurt that bad I like the kid.

Brady, Hoyer, Stidham
Michel, White, Harris, Burkhead, Bolden
Develin
Edelman, Harry, Gordon, Dorsett, Meyers, Thomas, Meyers
Izzo, Lacosse
Wynn, Thuney, Karras, Mason, Cannon
Crosten, Froholdt, Skipper
Bennett, Guy, Shelton, Cowart, Butler, Wise
Hightower, Van Noy, Bentley, Collins, Winovich, Simon, Calhoun
Gilmore, McCourty, Jones, Jackson, Crossen
McCourty, Chung, Harmon, Brooks
Gostowski, Bailey, Slater, Cardona, Ebner

You went with Izzo as the one TE and cut Munson?

Yep. After thinking about it I went with Izzo instead of LaCosse because of the blocking we both had been talking about. Kendricks and Watson will be back pretty soon and with 6 WR we might make it through one week without a real receiving TE.

Maybe I am too optimistic thinking Munson might make it to the PS. It was between Dawson and him.

I can’t see Jones and Dawson both being on the squad. I think Jones will either get traded or Dawson will get traded/cut outright.

Last edited:
Yep. After thinking about it I went with Izzo instead of LaCosse because of the blocking we both had been talking about. Kendricks and Watson will be back pretty soon and with 6 WR we might make it through one week without a real receiving TE.

Maybe I am too optimistic thinking Munson might make it to the PS. It was between Dawson and him.

Our only disagreement is both Skipper and Ferentz over Munson or Calhoun. Or even Dawson.

But who know what trade occurs or waiver pickup???

Our only disagreement is both Skipper and Ferentz over Munson. Or even Dawson.

But who know what trade occurs or waiver pickup???

I thought with Karras projected to be starting at center you will need maybe both Skipper and Ferentz just as depth options. If Andrews had stayed healthy and we had Karras to be an emergency option all over the line it would have changed a lot.

Dawson / Munson was just a coin flip. No strong opinion either way.

He keeps 3QBs:

I know 1 TE looks really, really thin but Kendricks will be back from suspension in W1 giving them one extra roster space as his first week back he will have a practice exemption. And Watson is coming back 3 weeks later.

I am sure I forgot someone obvious as is tradition. I was also thinking about leaving 1-2 spots empty for some players other teams cut but this year's group is pretty strong.

EDIT: This is assuming that Andrews is gone for the year which is the safest health option, Calhoun starts on IR. No clue about Rivers... IR, trade or cut.

My toughts exactly. Kendricks is a week 2 insurance. B. Watson will be ready week 5. Beck is PS eligible and we have a bunch of JAGS that we can scoop around the league.

QB (2) T.Brady, J.Stidham > Hoyer traded for a late pick.
RB (5) S.Michel, J.White, D.Harris, B.Bolden, R.Burkhead
FB (1) J.Develin
WR (7) J.Edelman, N.Harry, J.Gordon, D.Thomas, P.Dorsett, J.Meyers, G.Olszewski
TE (1) R.Izzo
C (2) T.Karras, J.Ferentz
G (3) S.Mason, J.Thuney, H.Froholdt
T (2) M.Cannon, I.Wynn
DE (4) M.Bennett, D.Wise, C.Winovich, J.Simon
DT (4) L.Guy, A.Butler, B.Cowart, D.Shelton
ILB (2) J.Bentley, E.Roberts
OLB (4) D.Hightower, K.VanNoy, J.Collins, C.Munson
CB (7) S.Gilmore, J.McCourty, J.Jackson, D.Dawson, J.Jones, K.Crossen, J.Williams > They don't give up so easily on 2nd round picks. That's why Dawson makes it. And he is playing a lot on ST.
SS (2) P.Chung, T.Brooks
FS (2) D.McCourty, D.Harmon
ST (5) S.Gostkowski, J.Bailey, J.Cardona, M.Slater, N.Ebner

IR (2) D. Rivers, D. Andrews
NFI (1). Y. Cajuste
SUP (2). B. Watson(4weeks), L. Kendricks(1 week)

PS (11)

J.Johnson FB
B.Berrios WR
D.Skipper OT
C.Croston OT
U.Kamalu DT
C.Sam OLB
K.Webster CB
A.Howard FS
A. Beck TE
N. Thurman DT
T. Gauthier OC

Trade candidates for me are Jon Jones, and Bentley. I’d assume they swap one of them for another lineman or a TE.

I would hate to see Dawson make this roster basically because he’s a second round pick. Bill doesn’t normally seem to operate that way and DD has been terrible so I hate to say it but I’m hoping he’s gone.

I thought with Karras projected to be starting at center you will need maybe both Skipper and Ferentz just as depth options. If Andrews had stayed healthy and we had Karras to be an emergency option all over the line it would have changed a lot.

Dawson / Munson was just a coin flip. No strong opinion either way.

I don't think they dress 8 OL game one, but maybe

It will be Mason backing Karras with Skipper as backup tackle, or Ferentz behind Karras with Thuney backing the tackles.

Or maybe they trade Roberts for a swing tackle.

So many balls in the air.

I think most of us undervalue STs and that BB values it as much as any person that has ever existed. That said, while I figure Ebner is an excellent locker guy and that he does his job well, I wonder if he sticks. The fact that he didn’t get the “respect cut” earlier this summer suggests he is safe. He seems like a guy BB cares about enough to “give him a chance to make a roster” if NE was thinking of moving on.

Trade candidates for me are Jon Jones, and Bentley. I’d assume they swap one of them for another lineman or a TE.

I would hate to see Dawson make this roster basically because he’s a second round pick. Bill doesn’t normally seem to operate that way and DD has been terrible so I hate to say it but I’m hoping he’s gone.
Bentley stays. I think he ends up contributing more than people think.

I cant see them trading Bentley.

I agree with him that we go light on the OL with only 7 bodies looking to add another player after the cuts or within weeks 1-4

Bentley stays. I think he ends up contributing more than people think.
Bentley wouldn't bring much back. Trading him doesn't make any sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes