PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Final 53 man roster thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see Gunner being the next Edelman.
He has that quickness and toughness about him if we can teach him to run routes we could be looking at a easy succession plans.

There will also be a couple guys who make the 53 man roster initially only to get IR’d the next day so they can be brought back later. Calhoun might be a candidate; Demariyus Thomas as well if they think he needs some more time to get up to speed.

They would not have activated DT if there was a question about him getting up to speed. Unless there is some kind of setback or minor injury he will either be on the roster or cut.

We will see which players they will use (i.e. cut and resign) to smuggle others onto IR with return eligibility.

Obi has to make the roster

Why ? It is his third camp now, the time for all the talk about potential or whatever is over. At this point odds are that he is what he is. And if he can't make it over Brooks or Dawson then there is not much to feel bad about.

I think Thomas could easily play the move TE position in the Pats offense. I see him making the team.

I don't think you will see any movement until after tomorrow nights game, because you could still get an injury that will change the course of what you were thinking as far as roster building.

I could see Roberts and maybe Burkhead being moved via trade. BB has made a lot of sneaky good trades at this time (KVN, Hicks, etc.).

Also Dwyane Allen might get cut from the Phins, I could see him returning and taking a TE spot.

Good point on DT and not getting activated off PUP. He would have just stayed on it if not ready.

I’m trying to imagine a scenario where one of Gunner/Berrios gets brought back after initial cuts to handle return duties.

It’s been discussed in several places on the board but it’s still hard to see Edelman returning punts.

Good point on DT and not getting activated off PUP. He would have just stayed on it if not ready.

I’m trying to imagine a scenario where one of Gunner/Berrios gets brought back after initial cuts to handle return duties.

It’s been discussed in several places on the board but it’s still hard to see Edelman returning punts.

This makes me crazy. Edelman is a weapon at PR unlike anyone else on the roster. Having him back there leads to points (scored, and defended through field position advantage). He's in less danger there than he is on offense, running across the middle and getting pasted right after the ball arrives (which seems to happen at least once a game). Let him do what he's best at. He's only going to last another couple of years regardless. Squeeze that lemon, and hope he retires with his health.

If it comes down to olszewski vs Hoyer, who will you guys prefer? Olszewski has a pop on him and can add some dynamism to our return game, Hoyer brings stability, but the question is, can Hoyer lead this team into the playoffs in the event he is required to?
Gunner

Not gonna happen if they can't contribute in some other way and they can't right now. PS for one or both unless they're claimed.

I think you can move Olszewski to the practice squad pretty safely, so there is that. My choice however would be trade Hoyer keep the O-Man
Most projections seem to have them both getting the axe, but owing to the fact Gunner popped in crucial preseason game #3, and also considering the NFL's apparent fascination with Belichick's scouting idiosyncrasies, my guess is Berrios is the safer bet to make it PS.

But totally agree, if it comes down to it: in the long term interests of the team, O > H .

I have nightmares of Hightower absolutely getting burned on the wheelroute
Howe’s coverage stats had Hightower allowing a whole 6 yards per game last season. You probably need to chill out a little.

1) Reiss is playing with the OL to keep Dawson and Crossen. This simply gives them more time to trade one of them. We will be securing an OT and maybe an inside vet also.

2) I don't understand his position on Calhoun. If he is too injured to be playing now, then he should be on the 53, and then on the IR on Sunday. He would be useful to come back if needed. Perhaps, he thinks that Calhoun has a season ending injury.

3) I would keep Roberts, but I could see him being traded.

4) The team will assess whether Andrews can possibly return this year (I think that Okung did). If not, then he will go to IR; if yes, he should be on the 53, and to IR on Sunday.

5) I'm neutral with regard to carrying 3 quarterbacks.

6) i don't know the over and under with regard to patriot transactions in the 10 days after the "final" cut; it is higher than anyone else in the league.

Reiss just posted what I would expect is his final projection:

Patriots' 53-man roster projection includes surplus of receivers

And it more or less matches my own opinion. I don't want to give it all away since he works for those clicks but here are some nuggets:

He keeps 3QBs:

also 6 WR (+ Slater) which leaves Gunner on the outside.

Similar to what I was speculating in a different thread he also mentions that going into only the first week (with Kendricks being back for W2, giving 2 weeks of an extra roster spot) with 1 TE would not shock him much:

The most interesting thing he mentions is a Elandon Roberts trade. Also has Dawson making the roster.

I may be in the minority here, but I actually want us to keep Roberts.

I'll take a stab at it. Considering all the moving part this is my final roster. The Andrews issue changed things a lot for me.

QB (3) T.Brady, B.Hoyer, J.Stidham - May as well keep all 3 now.

RB (5) S.Michel, J. White, D.Harris, R.Burkhead, J.Develin - Burkhead is still a trade/cut candidate, but for now he sticks. I think his wheels have fallen off. He looks slow and lacks burst. Right now Bolden does everything better than him and he is a STer.

WR (6) J.Edelman, J.Gordon, D.Thomas, N.Harry, P.Dorsett, J.Meyers - No surprises

TE (2) R.Izzo, M.LaCosse/Trade - There will be some trades and this spot could use help.

C (2) T.Karras, TRADE/pick up - They will bring in someone here I think.

G (3) S.Mason, J.Thuney, H.Froholdt

T (3) M.Cannon, I.Wynn, TRADE/Pick up - I see a pick up here.

DL (7) M. Bennett, L.Guy, D.Shelton, J. Simon, B.Cowart, A.Butler, S. Calhoun - Wise will be traded. He doesn't work in our new system. This makes room for one of Calhoun/Rivers. J. Which ever is healthier. IR the other. Simon is between Edge and DL but I put him here.

LB/ Edge (6) D.Hightower, K.VanNoy, J.Collins, C. Winovich, J. Bentley, C.Munson - Roberts is traded. Not really a fit and too many people ahead of him.

CB (5) S.Gilmore, J.McCourty, J.Jones, J.Jackson, J.Williams - No surprises. Dawson stay off.

Safety (3) D.McCourty, P. Chung, D.Harmon - Obi misses out which some will hate.

ST (8) S.Gostkowski, J.Bailey, J.Cardona, M. Slater, B. Bolden, N. Ebner, T. Brooks, K.Crossen

To go over it again. The trades are Roberts and Wise. The tough cuts are Dawson, Obi and Rivers (unless he is IR'd). Still on the Bubble depending on trades/pick ups are Burkhead, LaCosse, K. Crossen, Parry and Skipper who could all make or be off the team quickly depending on the adds.

Last edited:
I may be in the minority here, but I actually want us to keep Roberts.
You are not.

Last year Roberts showed marked improvement in run lane discipline and pass coverage.

As it pertains to his standing in the depth chart, he's probably a 3rd stringer here. That's not a knock on him rather it's more of a case of how deep and talented the 1st and 2nd stringers are.

I'm totally fine if he's on the team as he has value as a good depth/rotational player

I will post my final 53 following the pre-season finale as I think:

Elandon Roberts, Rex Burkhead, Duke Dawson, and a few others will likely be trade candidates. So, if they all play A LOT in the PS finale....it could be that the team is showcasing them.

This makes me crazy. Edelman is a weapon at PR unlike anyone else on the roster. Having him back there leads to points (scored, and defended through field position advantage). He's in less danger there than he is on offense, running across the middle and getting pasted right after the ball arrives (which seems to happen at least once a game). Let him do what he's best at. He's only going to last another couple of years regardless. Squeeze that lemon, and hope he retires with his health.

He nearly blew the 2018 AFCC game.

A sheet of paper saved the Pats from losing.

I want us to keep Gunner and his spark in the return game could weigh heavily into it all. But I'm emotionally prepared to see him cut and hopefully on our PS.

I think that 13 for the defensive front 6 is a player or two light. I would add back a 315+ DT (Parry for now) and re-consider Roberts. I think that most would choose to keep Wise.

I'll take a stab at it. Considering all the moving part this is my final roster. The Andrews issue changed things a lot for me.

QB (3) T.Brady, B.Hoyer, J.Stidham - May as well keep all 3 now.

RB (5) S.Michel, J. White, D.Harris, R.Burkhead, J.Develin - Burkhead is still a trade/cut candidate, but for now he sticks. I think his wheels have fallen off. He looks slow and lacks burst. Right now Bolden does everything better than him and he is a STer.

WR (6) J.Edelman, J.Gordon, D.Thomas, N.Harry, P.Dorsett, J.Meyers - No surprises

TE (2) R.Izzo, M.LaCosse/Trade - There will be some trades and this spot could use help.

C (2) T.Karras, TRADE/pick up - They will bring in someone here I think.

G (3) S.Mason, J.Thuney, H.Froholdt

T (3) M.Cannon, I.Wynn, TRADE/Pick up - I see a pick up here.

DL (7) M. Bennett, L.Guy, D.Shelton, J. Simon, B.Cowart, A.Butler, S. Calhoun - Wise will be traded. He doesn't work in our new system. This makes room for one of Calhoun/Rivers. J. Which ever is healthier. IR the other. Simon is between Edge and DL but I put him here.

LB/ Edge (6) D.Hightower, K.VanNoy, J.Collins, C. Winovich, J. Bentley, C.Munson - Roberts is traded. Not really a fit and too many people ahead of him.

CB (5) S.Gilmore, J.McCourty, J.Jones, J.Jackson, J.Williams - No surprises. Dawson stay off.

Safety (3) D.McCourty, P. Chung, D.Harmon - Obi misses out which some will hate.

ST (8) S.Gostkowski, J.Bailey, J.Cardona, M. Slater, B. Bolden, N. Ebner, T. Brooks, K.Crossen

To go over it again. The trades are Roberts and Wise. The tough cuts are Dawson, Obi and Rivers (unless he is IR'd). Still on the Bubble depending on trades/pick ups are Burkhead, LaCosse, K. Crossen and Skipper who could all make or be off the team quickly depending on the adds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back