PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Feelings on Bill O'Brien so far?

People don't understand that it's impossible to get production this bad on offense unless you're bad at everything. If the QB were good they'd be better, if the weapons were good they'd be better, if the OL were good they'd be better. It takes ineptitude at every level to perform like this.

This I will agree. There's not a single thing they do well.

Although I do think if the OL could pass/run block would be much better.

Bill built a run first team that can't run.

The moment we drafted Mac It was like we were embracing mediocrity.
I was in disbelief you don’t settle for a QB you be aggressive and go get your guy.
Whoever is in the new regime I expect a very aggressive draft and free agent haul.

The amount fans will twist the selves into knots to defend bill is out of this world.

I legit read in one thread we are a top 10 offensive talent that is better than the bills/chiefs.

And another that Bourne/juju/parker aren't far off from Moss/welker/stallworth.

I kind of hope zappe starts so fans can see what a garbage roster Bill built

This I will agree. There's not a single thing they do well.

Although I do think if the OL could pass/run block would be much better.

Bill built a run first team that can't run.
Really hard to run the ball when the box is loaded and teams are playing down on you all game knowing they can stop both the run and the pass like that. But yeah, they don't really do anything to get the running game going either. Honestly at this point they should either turn Paharoh Brown into a traditional FB or go get one.

Bob has been given a turd of an offense and been asked to make it to a bowl of Cheerios…
The oline is awful, Mac is still making terrible decisions…the running game is non existent. I feel that he doesn’t make good enough reads and make adjustments like some of the other elite QBs in this league.

No coach in the NFL can fix this offense. They have to rebuild starting from the top, get a GM, get the offensive line fixed, get a solid WR and QB and you will be good to go.
So basically its exactly like last year. Except with a worse running game...

Remind me what we thought of the OC last year?

His offense is worlds better than what the Pats had last year, but he isn't creative enough to overcome the fact there is absolutely no talent on the offense. From the QB to the o-line to the receivers to the RB, there is no performing even slightly above average at consistent enough basis and you might get average a little more consistently. I think a more creative OC like McDaniels or what they are doing in Miami could get more out of this offense, but an OC isn't a miracle worker.

He is running plays are still a little too predictable. But the overall offense isn't as predictable as last year. And receivers are not running into each other.

I have said elsewhere I would have loved the Pats to get someone more innovative than O'Brien, but O'Brien is the best we are going to get while Belichick is head coach. No way would Belichick want his offense doing what they are doing in Miami or San Fran even if they had the receiving weapons that they have. Even with Brady, he was resistant to a lot of the pass happy offense that is prominent today. He did it at times because he had Brady, but it even under Brady he clung to the ball control DNA of his overall philosophy.

I know the line isn't very good...

But our offense has declined week by week

Our rushing game is atrocious. Last year our line wasn't that great either, but we ran the ball well. Perhaps some of those west-coast concepts fit Rhamondre better?

There's also not nearly as much imagination in the running game as I've seen from other teams.

His offense is worlds better than what the Pats had last year, but he isn't creative enough to overcome the fact there is absolutely no talent on the offense. From the QB to the o-line to the receivers to the RB, there is no performing even slightly above average at consistent enough basis and you might get average a little more consistently. I think a more creative OC like McDaniels or what they are doing in Miami could get more out of this offense, but an OC isn't a miracle worker.

He is running plays are still a little too predictable. But the overall offense isn't as predictable as last year. And receivers are not running into each other.

I have said elsewhere I would have loved the Pats to get someone more innovative than O'Brien, but O'Brien is the best we are going to get while Belichick is head coach. No way would Belichick want his offense doing what they are doing in Miami or San Fran even if they had the receiving weapons that they have. Even with Brady, he was resistant to a lot of the pass happy offense that is prominent today. He did it at times because he had Brady, but it even under Brady he clung to the ball control DNA of his overall philosophy.
Last year in the first 4 games the Patriots score

In 2023

So despite the fact that his receivers are not running into each other, and he doesn't have to start Brian Hoyer for one of the games, the Patriots have score 19 fewer points under O'Brien than Patricia.o_O

Last year in the first 4 games the Patriots score

In 2023

So despite the fact that his receivers are not running into each other, and he doesn't have to start Brian Hoyer for one of the games, the Patriots have score 19 fewer points under O'Brien than Patricia.o_O

There are a number of factors though.

First the Pats had an easier schedule the first four games last year especially the defenses they faced. The Pats have faced three of the best defenses in the league this year in the Eagles, Cowboys, and Jets. Last year, they faced the Dolphins, Packers, Steelers, and Ravens. The Ravens had a top defense last year. Steelers was above average in points allowed. The Packers were middle of the pack. The Dolphins stunk.

Second, the o-line is a lot worse this year than last. Bedard said today that Lowe's play on Sunday may have been the worst performance by a RT he has ever seen. Owenu has been awful. Strange is hurt. Trent Brown missed a game.

Third, the Pats had a good running game from the start last year. The inability to run the ball at all goes to talent more than scheme and play calling. Stevenson has become an afterthought. Last year, he could run into a wall of defenders, spin out and pick up 6-8 yards. Now he'll get stopped at the line and pick up two.

Fourth, JuJu replaced Meyers. Need I explain why that is significant?

But the Hoyer start in which he was replaced by Zappe pretty quickly. That is something in Patricia's corner.

There is stuff to criticize about O'Brien. I cannot stand that all his RPOs are all presnap reads instead of post snap for example. But his offense is worlds better than what they were running last year.

First the Pats had an easier schedule the first four games last year especially the defenses they faced. The Pats have faced three of the best defenses in the league this year in the Eagles, Cowboys, and Jets. Last year, they faced the Dolphins, Packers, Steelers, and Ravens. The Ravens had a top defense last year. Steelers was above average in points allowed. The Packers were middle of the pack. The Dolphins stunk.

Second, the o-line is a lot worse this year than last. Bedard said today that Lowe's play on Sunday may have been the worst performance by a RT he has ever seen. Owenu has been awful. Strange is hurt. Trent Brown missed a game.

Third, the Pats had a good running game from the start last year. The inability to run the ball at all goes to talent more than scheme and play calling. Stevenson has become an afterthought. Last year, he could run into a wall of defenders, spin out and pick up 6-8 yards. Now he'll get stopped at the line and pick up two.

But the Hoyer start in which he was replaced by Zappe pretty quickly. That is something in Patricia's corner.

There is stuff to criticize about O'Brien. I cannot stand that all his RPOs are all presnap reads instead of post snap for example. But his offense is worlds better than what they were running last year.
What about the Dolphins game this year? That alone is concerning considering Miami's defense got smashed by the Chargers and Bills

The running game is worse - but how much of that is due to the scheme vs the o-line? Stevenson ran well last year despite the run-blocking not being good at all.

Basically, I feel like this would still be a problem even with last year's personell

Just tossing this up in the air here.
If Belichick's success was based upon the greatness of Brady then why not O'Brien?
I remember a few stories of the game plan process when Brady was here ... it was a great read.

I posted this before ... good time to put it on page 1 again.
Tom had tremendous input and actually becomes a teacher and discusses 1 on 1 with Belichick.
So of course we are missing that now ... again and/or O'Brien is not up to the process on his own.
Perhaps my opinion here is off or wrong ... anyways a great read and would be great if others give their opinion.

1 - 5 soon to be 1 - 7

Your QB was the Cowboys and Saints MVP. He got Patricia canned and BOB won't have a leg to stand on after Corky is through with him.

31st ranked offense.

Bagdad Rob

31st ranked offense.

Bagdad Rob
Bill O'Brien...
Back To School What GIF by Rodney Dangerfield
Bear Grylls GIF by National Geographic Channel

...is exactly what the world pretended Matt Patricia was (but wasn't) last year

We need to talk...

Why was Jaelen Reagor running deep routes? Shouldn't O'Brien get blame for this?

We already know he was a bust receiver. Why make him run routes he's the least effective with?

The o-line has been holding up recently. Why not incorporate play action a little more as a result?

Personnel is still a problem, as Gesicki can't block (limiting 2 TE sets). But hasn't Pharoah Brown been productive?

Play calling has been fine but the system he’s calling is dated.

We need to talk...

Why was Jaelen Reagor running deep routes? Shouldn't O'Brien get blame for this?

We already know he was a bust receiver. Why make him run routes he's the least effective with?

The o-line has been holding up recently. Why not incorporate play action a little more as a result?

Personnel is still a problem, as Gesicki can't block (limiting 2 TE sets). But hasn't Pharoah Brown been productive?
Why is Reagor even playing

BOB's Offense sucks like Mac see what I did there??

You can't coach a team offensively with lackluster talent all around the roster - he is left with practically nothing at receiver and no true wideout (Demario is the exception) and trying to send plays to a QB who makes 90s Marc Wilson look like Joe Montana

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back