PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Favorite Pats player pre-Parcells?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Grogs"

John Hannah or Steve Grogan on offense
Andre Tippett or Mike Haynes on defense

Steve Nelson --- great middle linebacker, tough as nails. And Mack Herron, something like 5'5'' but incredibly exciting kick returner and RB.
Loved mini Mack Herron. Second favorite after Grogan

Reading Grogan's Wiki page brings back memories and in particular, what endeared him to the Patriots faithful:
Grogan's injuries and his toughness in response to them are also part of his legacy. One sports writer for the Boston Globe, wrote of the "Grogan Toughness Meter" in 2003. The writer, Nick Cafardo, gave a partial listing of Grogan's injuries over his 16-year career: "Five knee surgeries; screws in his leg after the tip of his fibula snapped; a cracked fibula that snapped when he tried to practice; two ruptured disks in his neck, which he played with for 1 1/2 seasons; a broken left hand (he simply handed off with his right hand); two separated shoulders on each side; the reattachment of a tendon to his throwing elbow; and three concussions."

Remember when he played with that neck brace and still scrambled at the goal line? That was nuts.

He could run...
SkeletalSizzlingGossamerwingedbutterfly-max-1mb.gif

And the Jets still sucked. :)

Last edited:
Reading Grogan's Wiki page brings back memories and in particular, what endeared him to the Patriots faithful:
Grogan's injuries and his toughness in response to them are also part of his legacy. One sports writer for the Boston Globe, wrote of the "Grogan Toughness Meter" in 2003. The writer, Nick Cafardo, gave a partial listing of Grogan's injuries over his 16-year career: "Five knee surgeries; screws in his leg after the tip of his fibula snapped; a cracked fibula that snapped when he tried to practice; two ruptured disks in his neck, which he played with for 1 1/2 seasons; a broken left hand (he simply handed off with his right hand); two separated shoulders on each side; the reattachment of a tendon to his throwing elbow; and three concussions."

Remember when he played with that neck brace and still scrambled at the goal line? That was nuts.

He could run...
SkeletalSizzlingGossamerwingedbutterfly-max-1mb.gif

And the Jets still sucked. :)

Great little run you chose as you get to see Hannah (73) push down a LB like he's a little kid.

Also your Jet comment makes so much sense after watching it a couple times you see holes you could drive a truck through and you wonder who are those guys.

I always loved watching Grogan run those naked reverses. He was fearless.

I always loved watching Grogan run those naked reverses. He was fearless.

I was too young during Grogan's first few years in the league to experience it myself but my dad would always tell me what a great athlete/runner he was as a quarterback.

Clayton Weishuhn is a name that I haven't heard for a long time. I remember that he was hugely popular his second year in the league, the only year that he was able to remain healthy. When my brother and I would play football in the yard that year, he would always be Weishuhn. He would punt the ball to me and as he was in the process of blasting me on my kick return (he is four years older than I am) he would yell "Weishuuuun". I ended up with the few stitches in my lip after one of those tackles.

Easy choice would be Andre Tippet. My dad was good friends with Tim Fox so he get's my vote.

I was at a Patriots summer camp practice at Bryant College watching the OL versus the DL and watched a rookie DT rough up John Hannah after the whistle. Big mistake. On the next play Hannah hit him so hard that he flew backwards and landed on his butt. He got up and Hannah did the same thing to him. He was cut the next day.

Mosi Tatupu was another tough guy that was fun to watch

Too many to list . I took interest in the early 80's. I always had hope.

Too young for me. I started watching when Parcells arrived as a young teen.

Irving Fryar, Stanley Morgan, Grogan

Took until page 2 for someone to mention Hannah. Either the 2nd or 3rd greatest Patriot - depending on where you put Gronk. Guards get no love.

Hog was mentioned in post #5, which is also late depending upon the age of the fan making the choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back