PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fantastic NFL.com Profile on Mac Jones (history, anecdotes)

Not sure where to put this but it shows a bit of Mac Jones' prankster personality, they made a funny spoof video. His teammates call him Joker for his laugh but also a competitive streak underneath:

OMG Mac Jones totally gives off a Brady/Edelman humor vibe. I feel like Patriots fans are going to grow to love him! :thumbsup::rofl:

Mac hugging Goodell and whispering 'this is what I wanted, don't tell anybody LOL!"

BG (@suggmmaa) Tweeted:
‼️

OMG Mac Jones totally gives off a Brady/Edelman humor vibe. I feel like Patriots fans are going to grow to love him! :thumbsup::rofl:

Yeah too bad Chung retired but he has the perfect combination of work his ass off and obsessed with working in Foxboro, with a positive goofy team-first attitude.

Long read.

1. He laughs a lot and is goofy, teammates call him Joker.
2. He's ultra competitive
3. He hates throwing INTs so much he refused to force passes as scout team QB which pissed off Saban.
3. He butts helmets pregame with teammates like Brady used to, he gets psyched up for games. He gets so excited after touchdowns he still holds the extra point kicks to calm himself down.
4. He models his training after watching Tom vs Time.
5. After a freshman year DUI, all he does now is live in the gym and film room and he doesn't go out.

Thanks for that great article on Mac Jones! :thumbsup:

People like to downplay Jones accomplishments because he had great weapons at Alabama. Conversely, I'd say, well at least Jones has confirmed he can drive the Ferrari at full throttle, in other words he's not going to be the bottleneck, he's going to be the guy who unleashes the full potential of the offense. I also like the part in the story where he specifically works on the deep ball with his coach in the offseason. And then because of that training he throws for an NCAA record 77% that year to go along with 41 passing touchdowns vs only 4 interceptions.

People like to throw buzz words like off-platform and freak athleticism. But they don't like to talk about fundamentals and sound football. Mac Jones hates turnovers. He hated them so much he would purposely throw the ball away even when he was scout team QB. A fundamentally sound QB avoids turnovers and favors making positive plays that are available.

Mac Jones has fast play processing speed, good decision making, a quick release, and fundamentally sound throwing technique. Those good fundamentals also allow Mac Jones to deliver a good deep ball. Check out the throw at 3:55. Mac Jones delivers a touchdown pass from the Alabama logo. Impressive stuff. You rarely need to or want to make throws longer than that in the NFL simply because longer throws have a higher chance of interception, but it's good to know that he can make deep throws to take advantage of coverages when the receiver gets open.

Overall I feel really good about this kid after reading his story. Like Brady he had to wait his chance behind Tua and Hurts. Mack Jones has the chip because he was never considered the #1 guy, he had to earn it. Mac Jones is coming into a similar situation in the NFL with a chip. He'll always look at the 4 guys taken ahead of him and want to prove the teams who passed on him wrong. With the Patriots, Mac Jones has landed in the perfect situation to take his revenge upon the teams that passed him up. Time to prove the world wrong. You were considered the least of the 5 Quarterbacks by the pundits and the NFL, Mac Jones, can you play the last Joke on your doubters?

Obviously not the diet part, and what gym was that? There one in Shipley's donut parking lot?
I like the pick, but this was over the top when the evidence is clear that he needs work on his mid section. He is young and I will not mind if he goes on Brady's diet without AG.
Those of us who have lived down here in Washington for decades remember a certain Christian Adolph Jurgensen III, better known as Sonny, who managed to quarterback his way to the Hall of Fame with a waist reminiscent of someone's beer drinking granddad. I guess people are so impressed with workout bodies, they remain oblivious to the fact that an impressive physique has little to do with being a great quarterback. This, despite seeing twenty years of evidence from Tom Brady.

Thanks for that great article on Mac Jones! :thumbsup:

People like to downplay Jones accomplishments because he had great weapons at Alabama. Conversely, I'd say, well at least Jones has confirmed he can drive the Ferrari at full throttle, in other words he's not going to be the bottleneck, he's going to be the guy who unleashes the full potential of the offense. I also like the part in the story where he specifically works on the deep ball with his coach in the offseason. And then because of that training he throws for an NCAA record 77% that year to go along with 41 passing touchdowns vs only 4 interceptions.

People like to throw buzz words like off-platform and freak athleticism. But they don't like to talk about fundamentals and sound football. Mac Jones hates turnovers. He hated them so much he would purposely throw the ball away even when he was scout team QB. A fundamentally sound QB avoids turnovers and favors making positive plays that are available.

Mac Jones has fast play processing speed, good decision making, a quick release, and fundamentally sound throwing technique. Those good fundamentals also allow Mac Jones to deliver a good deep ball. Check out the throw at 3:55. Mac Jones delivers a touchdown pass from the Alabama logo. Impressive stuff. You rarely need to or want to make throws longer than that in the NFL simply because longer throws have a higher chance of interception, but it's good to know that he can make deep throws to take advantage of coverages when the receiver gets open.

Overall I feel really good about this kid after reading his story. Like Brady he had to wait his chance behind Tua and Hurts. Mack Jones has the chip because he was never considered the #1 guy, he had to earn it. Mac Jones is coming into a similar situation in the NFL with a chip. He'll always look at the 4 guys taken ahead of him and want to prove the teams who passed on him wrong. With the Patriots, Mac Jones has landed in the perfect situation to take his revenge upon the teams that passed him up. Time to prove the world wrong. You were considered the least of the 5 Quarterbacks by the pundits and the NFL, Mac Jones, can you play the last Joke on your doubters?

He literally did the most perfect job a college QB could have done in his position. If he stays humble and works his ass off the next 24 months this could be very exciting

Those of us who have lived down here in Washington for decades remember a certain Christian Adolph Jurgensen III, better known as Sonny, who managed to quarterback his way to the Hall of Fame with a waist reminiscent of someone's beer drinking granddad. I guess people are so impressed with workout bodies, they remain oblivious to the fact that an impressive physique has little to do with being a great quarterback. This, despite seeing twenty years of evidence from Tom Brady.

The other thing people don't think about is that your 'combine' body is not going to be the body you are stuck with for the rest of your career. What made Brady great was that as soon as he landed in New England he worked on fixing his weaknesses and improving his body for the stuff that mattered - increasing his throwing strength, range of motion, mobility in the pocket, etc. You don't need to be ripped like the Rock to throw the ball well, you need, muscles in the right places, you need flexibility in your hips and arms, etc. And you don't need to be rocket arm gifted to rip the ball 80 yards downfield to be good at the deep ball, when 50 or 60 yards at most is more than enough the vast majority of plays in the NFL.

Not only is Mac Jones aware of his weaknesses, he has already adjusted his training to fix them up. If you read the Joker article, Mac Jones was an avid follower of Tom Brady's Tom vs Time video and has changed his training to improve himself accordingly. And the kid is only 22. I wouldn't be surprised at all if a couple of years from now people are saying... I didn't think he could make every throw in the book coming out of college, but now he certainly make every pass you need in the pros. That was also true of Brady, he didn't start out a stud, but methodically, tirelessly working on every weakness and finding training techniques, Tom Brady can certainly make every throw that you need in the NFL and do it with well above average arm talent and velocity, and with elite level accuracy on top of that.

Now am I saying Mac Jones can get to Brady's level? I'm not going that far, there's never going to be another Brady. But I'm saying Jones can definitely get better and he seems to have the chip, the determination, and he seems to have the right role models and situation to become a much better player than he ever was in college.

Let's just enjoy the ride and not get hung up on the 'ceiling' talk. Because there are always outliers to conventional wisdom like 'ceiling'. Give the kid some time to grow and improve. There's more to a football player than what's on the surface.

He also achieved a Bachelor of Arts in Communication and Information Sciences in December 2019 and is currently completing his Masters of Sports Hospitality with an expected graduation date of December 2020. he also had a 4.0 GPA... seems smarter than average.

The other thing people don't think about is that your 'combine' body is not going to be the body you are stuck with for the rest of your career. What made Brady great was that as soon as he landed in New England he worked on fixing his weaknesses and improving his body for the stuff that mattered - increasing his throwing strength, range of motion, mobility in the pocket, etc. You don't need to be ripped like the Rock to throw the ball well, you need, muscles in the right places, you need flexibility in your hips and arms, etc. And you don't need to be rocket arm gifted to rip the ball 80 yards downfield to be good at the deep ball, when 50 or 60 yards at most is more than enough the vast majority of plays in the NFL.

Not only is Mac Jones aware of his weaknesses, he has already adjusted his training to fix them up. If you read the Joker article, Mac Jones was an avid follower of Tom Brady's Tom vs Time video and has changed his training to improve himself accordingly. And the kid is only 22. I wouldn't be surprised at all if a couple of years from now people are saying... I didn't think he could make every throw in the book coming out of college, but now he certainly make every pass you need in the pros. That was also true of Brady, he didn't start out a stud, but methodically, tirelessly working on every weakness and finding training techniques, Tom Brady can certainly make every throw that you need in the NFL and do it with well above average arm talent and velocity, and with elite level accuracy on top of that.

Now am I saying Mac Jones can get to Brady's level? I'm not going that far, there's never going to be another Brady. But I'm saying Jones can definitely get better and he seems to have the chip, the determination, and he seems to have the right role models and situation to become a much better player than he ever was in college.

Let's just enjoy the ride and not get hung up on the 'ceiling' talk. Because there are always outliers to conventional wisdom like 'ceiling'. Give the kid some time to grow and improve. There's more to a football player than what's on the surface.

Amazing post. Yes I don't get how someone can say Mac had the highest base but lowest ceiling. What ?? Nobody knows what anybody's ceiling is.

He also achieved a Bachelor of Arts in Communication and Information Sciences in December 2019 and is currently completing his Masters of Sports Hospitality with an expected graduation date of December 2020. he also had a 4.0 GPA... seems smarter than average.

Dual major graduated early. Perfect GPA. The kid loves to STUDY nfl defenses and have the answer to every single problem. HELL YES.

I don't think the chubby photo was at the combine. But even so who cares? Not bad if he ran a 4.7 chubby. More importantly, he can definitely shift in the pocket and buy time.

Get him on Pliability. Call up Tom House and optimize throwing. Alkaline dinner. Avocado ice cream. Obsession towards film study.
You know who looks good with his shirt off? NKeal Harry and he sucks...

Are you sure he sucks? Have you seen him play with a good QB who will throw him the ball?

Are you sure he sucks? Have you seen him play with a good QB who will throw him the ball?

Yeah. He's played with the goat and been deemed a bust....

Someone made a side by side video of Mac making throws and then Brady same throws:

wow, I have seen it, but he needs help to get some zip on this throws. Brady was able to zip it in when needed, Jones seems to be maxed out at throwing velocity regardless of window, but Jones knows most of our plays under Brady already.

wow, I have seen it, but he needs help to get some zip on this throws. Brady was able to zip it in when needed, Jones seems to be maxed out at throwing velocity regardless of window, but Jones knows most of our plays under Brady already.
Gotta call Tom House, throwing guru who Brady also worked with

New video of Mac meeting the Kraft's and also an interview where he says he's looking forward to being coached hard by Belichick. Awesome.

He definitely is goofy, and I find that to be an endearing quality to have. Brady is goofy as well, and I loved him.

Long read.

1. He laughs a lot and is goofy, teammates call him Joker.
2. He's ultra competitive
3. He hates throwing INTs so much he refused to force passes as scout team QB which pissed off Saban.
3. He butts helmets pregame with teammates like Brady used to, he gets psyched up for games. He gets so excited after touchdowns he still holds the extra point kicks to calm himself down.
4. He models his training after watching Tom vs Time.
5. After a freshman year DUI, all he does now is live in the gym and film room and he doesn't go out.

What a great article. I love his passion. I think Pats fans will fall in love with Jones. I also think he’s gonna be a helluva QB.

What a great article. I love his passion. I think Pats fans will fall in love with Jones. I also think he’s gonna be a helluva QB.

Pioli revealed tonight Mac told him in January he doesn't care where he's picked but he wants to play for the Patriots. Then he told Goodell the same thing last night when he was selected, and then to the media in his press conference.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back