PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Extended Season Soon

The regular season is fine as is and the playoffs are perfect the way they are so naturally they need to be 'fixed' until they are broken, smdh. If they are that desperate for more product they should just add a second bye and increase the season to 18 weeks while leaving the game total alone.
$$

The regular season is fine as is and the playoffs are perfect the way they are so naturally they need to be 'fixed' until they are broken, smdh. If they are that desperate for more product they should just add a second bye and increase the season to 18 weeks while leaving the game total alone.
How would that add revenue? Same amount of actual games, no?

Maybe the TV revenue extra week? I think this partly has to do with the food and drink at the Stadium and tickets sold. I have often heard Kraft makes a lot from those.

Its all about the money.

The owners will eventually ruin this game with their greed.

It's like changing the Electoral College at this point. I doubt it very much it's doable.

How is it wrong to want a week of playoff games instead of a week of preseason games?

Because it wont stop there.

Bottom line is that next CBA the players are going rake the owners over the coals and take a whole lot more money from their bank accounts.

Patriots already play 19 games a year so we cool

NFL preseason expected to be shortened, with expanded playoffs likely | Boston.com

Expanded season but likely in Post Season Games. Getting closer to Multiple Super Bowl Games.
I do find it kind of funny and ironic how NFL fans, the most passionate ones, really do LOVE to complain about the NFL. It's not just this board either. I mean I love the NFL. I even like the way the pre-season builds up toward opening day, and softens the blow of the end of summer.

The NFL is partly why I love autumn and don't hate the winter until Feb.

That said the season is long enough. I remember when it was 14 games, and the Pats went 9-5 one time and did not make the playoffs. It was harder to make the playoffs, I think 4 teams per conference (3 division winners and 1 wild card) and no teams got a "bye". It was two games to the SB for all.

I actually would rather they had in that direction.

How would that add revenue? Same amount of actual games, no?

Maybe the TV revenue extra week? I think this partly has to do with the food and drink at the Stadium and tickets sold. I have often heard Kraft makes a lot from those.

It would be the same amount of games but it would also be another entire week of TV revenue. If this were about butts in seats revenue they wouldn't be looking at eliminating preseason games.

Yes, it is all about revenue. I would point out that players share in revenue on a percentage basis.

The idea is to cut a week of preseason games and add a week of playoff games.

1) Would those who pay for preseason games prefer to continue to pay for them?

2) Would the players prefer a preseason game on the roster or a potential playoff game.
=======
Fans may not like it, but both the owners and the players want more revenue which the substitute would give the teams.

Its all about the money.

The owners will eventually ruin this game with their greed.

It would be the same amount of games but it would also be another entire week of TV revenue. If this were about butts in seats revenue they wouldn't be looking at eliminating preseason games.
Actually they are saying that the pre-season has been majorly under-attended and that is a big part of the $$ issue. Beer and Food provides a lot of their $$

Actually they are saying that the pre-season has been majorly under-attended and that is a big part of the $$ issue. Beer and Food provides a lot of their $$

Think about it for a minute, adding butts in seats for 2 more playoff teams will not generate anywhere near the revenue across all 32 that an additional week of national broadcast revenue will. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if we see the additional bye and two teams added to the playoffs both happen in the not too distant future. I wouldn't mind the 2nd bye as I think the added time to heal up a bit would benefit players but I despise the thought of changing the current playoff structure.

I do find it kind of funny and ironic how NFL fans, the most passionate ones, really do LOVE to complain about the NFL. It's not just this board either. I mean I love the NFL. I even like the way the pre-season builds up toward opening day, and softens the blow of the end of summer.

The NFL is partly why I love autumn and don't hate the winter until Feb.

That said the season is long enough. I remember when it was 14 games, and the Pats went 9-5 one time and did not make the playoffs. It was harder to make the playoffs, I think 4 teams per conference (3 division winners and 1 wild card) and no teams got a "bye". It was two games to the SB for all.

I actually would rather they had in that direction.

Approximately 50% of the NCAA football teams make the postseason. To me, that dilutes the quality of the product. The best teams sit idle so long that they are rarely as sharp as when the regular season concludes. Its driven by money. Fans travel, hotels are full and bars and eateries busy.

I can envision the NFL owners milking every nickel out of the post season with 4 Division Wildcard teams and 4 division Champion teams. Thats 2 more games per Conference that could expand to 3 games in no time.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back