PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Examples of why QB is most important position in sports?

The 2001 Super Bowl seems to make the case against the premise of this thread. Ravens QB Trent Dilfer beat Giants QB Kerry Collins who set the record for INTs with four in that game. But that was a long time ago. The Ravens - Niners SB was Flacco vs. Kaepernick, and again the strength of both teams was defense.

It has everything to do with it. You picked losses and with no basis said it was because of a an decision which often was a no brained.
I shared my feelings leading up to each contest, which unfortunately wound up being prophetic.
So you expect a team that wins 3 road games to get to the Sb should change QBs?
Eason threw 3 TDs on the afccg
Shula kind of learned his lesson from SBIII and replaced Morrall with Griese in the '72 AFCCG and that worked out
Groan came in in the second quarter of the Sb and threw 2 picks.
Doubt that Montana, Baugh or Unitas would have done better.
There is no chance yiunbench am mvp for a guy who hadn’t played all season. Your logic says Bledsoe should have played ahead of Brady.
Brady played all but 1 1/2 games in '01. Bledsoe an MVP? Ugh.
He was a terrible passer.
Yup, and Bill Russell was a terrible shooter.
Because no one would give him an nfl job.
That's Tom Brady if not for BB.

Last edited:
I shared my feelings leading up to each contest, which unfortunately wound up being prophetic.
Prophecy doesn’t happen in hindsight.

Shula kind of learned his lesson from SBIII and replaced Morrall with Griese in the '72 AFCCG and that worked out
That was about Griese being healthy and ready and he actually played before the SB.

Doubt that Montana, Baugh or Unitas would have done better.
Lol

Brady played all but 1 1/2 games in '01. Bledsoe an MVP? Ugh.
Bledsoe played more than Montana. Young was the mvp. You arent talking about the mvp getting healthy and playing you are talking about benching the mvp.

Yup, and Bill Russell was a terrible shooter.
I didn’t realize flutie played defense.

That's Tom Brady if not for BB.
No, not even close.

Do you believe that QB is the most important role in sports?
The past couple years have highlighted to me that a QB can make a coach look brilliant. Or horrendous.

1. Jimmy G to SF, obviously
2. Deshaun Watson in Houston. Once he went down Texans look terrible again.
3. Denver, after the Forehead retired. Now they suck.
4. Others?

I mean seriously, if you do not have an elite QB, you have about 10% chance of competing for the SB, correct?

I am sure BB could win with another QB but it would take him some time to find and keep one. In the meantime, we have the GOAT. This morning I tip my cap to TB12.

---> FRITZ

Aaron Rodgers seems like the obvious example.

I disagree. It's just as difficult to overcome mediocre to bad pitching in baseball and even harder to overcome poor goalie play in hockey.I would say it's one of the most important positions in sports. Which is what worries me about the post Brady era. It's obvious Bill feels some positions are less important than others. We know this by examining the resources he allocates to the different positions. We have no idea how Bill values the QB. When Brady is gone, do we try to find an elite QB, or are we satisfied with getting a JAG in there and thinking we can coach him up? I have to assume he considers the QB position to be crucial, especially in today's game, but who knows with him?

I wouldn't say so. In football yes, but a superstar like LeBron in basketball has a bigger impact than any player of the major sports (couldn't say for soccer) in North America.
After generations of "The Patriots stink", "The Patriots are losers", "The Patriots are unworthy" and in this century, "The Patriots cheat", and not one but two fake-Gates including a stolen first-round draft pick, among other things, each time, one can only objectively accept the fact that the National Football League is dominated primarily by ignorance and stupidity.

But if you need more evidence, observe how Brian Dowling was treated. Along with faith and perseverance, Kurt Warner had a lot of good luck to thank for getting his chance with the Rams.

Red Auerbach had no problem admitting he was wrong; otherwise, he'd have benched and traded "local yokel" Bob Cousy, as Raymond Berry did to Doug Flutie.

Some people [see above] dislike and dismiss Flutie. For some, it's his height, others, playing in the USFL, still others, because he crossed picket lines during the strike in '87. Above all else, Flutie was a winner. He suffered from none of the diva-ness, selfishness, chemical abuse or addiction or brittleness of others who were given a chance. In New England and later in Buffalo, Doug led his team to the brink of contention and was abruptly benched for no good reason in favor of inferior players, and naturally those teams lost.

Flutie signed with the BC Lions of the CFL in 1990, and in 1991, threw for a record 6,619 yards [not reflective of a 'terrible passer']. He played briefly with his brother Darren, a wide receiver, before being traded to the Calgary Stampeders, whom he led to victory in the 1992 Grey Cup. In 1994, he threw a record 48 touchdown passes [can't throw?!]. Flutie played for the Stampeders until 1996, when he signed with the Toronto Argonauts, leading them to back-to-back Grey Cup victories in 1996 and 1997. Flutie was named the CFL's Most Outstanding Player a record six times, and was named the MVP in all three of his Grey Cup victories. Flutie is widely considered to be one of the greatest CFL players of all-time.

In 1988, here are the quarterbacks I might choose to lead my NFL team over Doug Flutie:

Joe Montana
Dan Marino

But, Marino did not have the leadership qualities, intangibles or athleticism of Flutie, so I'd still take Doug.

As for Joe, he amazingly recovered from a serious back injury but how many years he had left was a question.

That's it.

So the Patriots and the NFL continued to suck.

It absolutely does

That's the dumbest saying in sports.

Reality is defense can occasionally win A championchip.

Ravens 2000, Bucs 2002, Broncos 2015 are one hit wonders. Look how quickly it falls apart.

Seattle is so lucky to have Wilson develop.

The only way teams sustain being real contenders is with an elite QB.

That's the dumbest saying in sports.

Reality is defense can occasionally win A championchip.

Ravens 2000, Bucs 2002, Broncos 2015 are one hit wonders. Look how quickly it falls apart.

Seattle is so lucky to have Wilson develop.

The only way teams sustain being real contenders is with an elite QB.
Nice back pedal with the last sentence. Are we talking about contenders or actually winning. Is it easier to win with the great defense and the average qb or the great qb and the average defense. The pats played well defensively for all 5 championships. Just look at all the teams that win! Find me the one that isn’t good on defense

Football is a team game. You need offense. But would you rather have the great qb and the average defense or the great defense and the average qb. I’m taking the latter

Do you believe that QB is the most important role in sports?
The past couple years have highlighted to me that a QB can make a coach look brilliant. Or horrendous.

1. Jimmy G to SF, obviously
2. Deshaun Watson in Houston. Once he went down Texans look terrible again.
3. Denver, after the Forehead retired. Now they suck.
4. Others?

I mean seriously, if you do not have an elite QB, you have about 10% chance of competing for the SB, correct?

I am sure BB could win with another QB but it would take him some time to find and keep one. In the meantime, we have the GOAT. This morning I tip my cap to TB12.

---> FRITZ

No I think it’s tennis player, not QB. Otherwise there’s no one to hit the ball back.

the colts in general.

with peyton they were in the superbowl
without him? last place in the league.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back