PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Examples of Reid’s poor playoff decisions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have any example of Andy Reid’s questionable playoff decisions? I know a lot criticism has had to do with time management. In SB39, the Eagles ridiculously did not go into hurry-up in the fourth quarter, though there have rumors that McNabb, and not Reid, was the problem.

I remember Reid’s reputation leaving Philadelphia was great regular season coach, bad big game coach, but I don’t remember specific gaffes. Does anyone recall any? And do you think this reputation is undeserved and more a result of hindsight, or is it really a pattern of clearly bad decisions? One thing I will point out is that he has rarely had the better QB in big games.

He did the same thing against us in the playoffs in 2016. They took their sweet time trying to play catch-up and were huddling up and calling run plays in the final quarter. Down 14 points, they had 6:30 left and all their timeouts and took about 5 minutes to score.

2009 Eagles Redskins @ Philly. Philly down 8 with 7 minutes left, scores a TD to pull within 2 and they get their 2 point team on the field.... and wait... and wait....and call a timeout to figure out what play to run... Total confusion on the sidelines... You have to have a 2 point play ready and they drove down the field so it wasn't a quick, " this just happened" type of thing.. I thought a well prepared coach would have the play ready and just radio it in.... Doesnt sound like much but it was typical of Reid's in game management skills.

Reid is maybe the second best coach in the league and certainly a HoF candidate. I'd be careful trying to assume that he will screw it all up just because in the past he might have shown issues with time management.

This is the best team he ever had (which improves the margin for error) and most probably his best shot at a title.

All that being said.. if you can survive the initial designed plays and first few drives without falling behind too much you are in a good position. Because above all he is a master of scripting plays but the farther into the game you get the less creativity you should expect.

He is horrendous when it comes to the two minute drill, either before the half or at the end of the game.

But what's even worse is he hasn't even bothered to improve this aspect of his game, in what- almost twenty years of coaching?

BB is ruthless at self-scouting, and that's what puts him in a league of his own.

can’t stand that fat slob, his mustache and always hiding behind that giant playcard! :mad:

Reid is maybe the second best coach in the league and certainly a HoF candidate. I'd be careful trying to assume that he will screw it all up just because in the past he might have shown issues with time management.

This is the best team he ever had (which improves the margin for error) and most probably his best shot at a title.

All that being said.. if you can survive the initial designed plays and first few drives without falling behind too much you are in a good position. Because above all he is a master of scripting plays but the farther into the game you get the less creativity you should expect.

2004 Philadelphia Eagles Starters, Roster, & Players | Pro-Football-Reference.com

First and second-round picks, Hall of Famers...

Will he get deflated into oblivion due to the cold temps?

He did the same thing against us in the playoffs in 2016. They took their sweet time trying to play catch-up and were huddling up and calling run plays in the final quarter. Down 14 points, they had 6:30 left and all their timeouts and took about 5 minutes to score.

This was also the game where an assistant stole his challenge flag:

Some background here.

I remember a lot of what others have said happening in games (and witnessed it in the SB at the end of 2004 - we were at the game and I remember whispering to the Eagles fans in front of us, "you guys are going to run out of time..."). It seems like these are the problems, generally (which are real and not just a bad rap):

Can't develop or hasn't developed a 2 minute drill (or certainly a one-minute drill) for use at the end of a half to quickly go down the field and score.
Can't develop or hasn't developed a hurry-up offense in general to use when warranted during a game; team always huddles up and takes its time getting to the line no matter what the situation.
Uses up timeouts early, way ahead of where he should in games, and thus can't stop the clock late in a half when needed.

Maybe some of these will be mitigated by Mahomes who seems to play "fast," but going fast where you are not used to doing so can also cause a lot of mistakes.

Go Patriots!!

Doesn't change my opinion in the slightest. The rules in the league now are much more suited to the style of offensive football Reid likes to play.
It’s the best offense he has ever had, not the best football team.
And actually Mahomes has enhanced what Reid wants to do and it’s surprising that Reid’s passing offense concept hasn’t constrained him.

Reid has had some solid quarterbacks before (McNabb) but this is probably the best quarterback he’s ever been paired with as a head coach

I remember a lot of what others have said happening in games (and witnessed it in the SB at the end of 2004 - we were at the game and I remember whispering to the Eagles fans in front of us, "you guys are going to run out of time..."). It seems like these are the problems, generally (which are real and not just a bad rap):

Can't develop or hasn't developed a 2 minute drill (or certainly a one-minute drill) for use at the end of a half to quickly go down the field and score.
Can't develop or hasn't developed a hurry-up offense in general to use when warranted during a game; team always huddles up and takes its time getting to the line no matter what the situation.
Uses up timeouts early, way ahead of where he should in games, and thus can't stop the clock late in a half when needed.

Maybe some of these will be mitigated by Mahomes who seems to play "fast," but going fast where you are not used to doing so can also cause a lot of mistakes.

Go Patriots!!
It's a conscience decision. Read this explanation from the 2015 playoff game:
https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/kansas-city-chiefs-andy-reid-defends-clock-management-012216

This stands out to me:
He also said that the offense didn’t hurry up as much as most thought it should have because “At that point it really didn’t matter to me. I wanted to make sure we were calling the best plays.”

What I can infer: Reid thinks if he goes hurry up, he doesn't get the best plays, and thus it's a moot point because they'll have less of a chance to score. He'd rather take his time (until he absolutely has to) and get the best possible play out there.

Now, the counterargument is that teams like the Patriots prepare for this - they specifically develop best possible hurry up plays during camp and during practices so they don't have to worry about that concern during the game.

Reid has had some solid quarterbacks before (McNabb) but this is probably the best quarterback he’s ever been paired with as a head coach

Nick Foles did better after Reid left town.

Reids Eagles teams were loaded and Andy choked every time.

In the Super Bowl, the Eagles were huddling up with time ticking away.

Reid burned all his timeouts too early vs NE this year. IIRC, they were gone around the 3 minute mark.

Up by 21 vs Indy in the post season, It was time to uses all the play clock, run and burn time. Reid kept passing and gave the game back to Indy.

I am not looking in the past too...i agree with luuked...this year seems he has more then before a chance...

I wasn’t starting this thread to imply Reid is going to mismanage the clock or choke. I was more curious about what specifically he has done in the past. I remember Marty Schottenheimer and (until he finally won) Bill Cowher would play extremely conservative in the playoffs and lose, often punting on 4th and one on opponent territory, as well as smash mouth gameplans they stubbornly stuck to even though they weren’t working.

In the Super Bowl, the Eagles were huddling up with time ticking away.

Reid burned all his timeouts too early vs NE this year. IIRC, they were gone around the 3 minute mark.

Up by 21 vs Indy in the post season, It was time to uses all the play clock, run and burn time. Reid kept passing and gave the game back to Indy.
I don’t recall Indy ever being in the game last week. The Chiefs kicker outscored Andrew Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back