PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ex-Illinois coach Ron Zook lauds Tavon Wilson's versatility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as a point of fact, Tavon Wilson was not on the first team all big ten team or even on the second all big ten.

He was put on honorable mention--by the media in big ten country. No one ever mentions that except for yours truly.

None of the opposing coaches respected him enough to vote him as the top player or two (or three or four) at his position, even though he a had been three year starter.

And considering Zook's penchant for being a great recruiter but a poor coach--FOUR freakin' guys taken from his team in the top 48 this year and they go 2-6 in the Big Ten--he has been fired. Zook's teams woefully underperformed. They had the talent, that's for sure.

Tavon Wilson's versatility is not in question here.

Zook's coaching skills have no relation to this matter, Mike Gillhamer was the secondary coach, he is the one who was coaching him. Wilson was too much of a tweener CB/S to make All-Big 10, but that might be just what iis needed in the NFL right now.

Just as a point of fact, Tavon Wilson was not on the first team all big ten team or even on the second all big ten.

He was put on honorable mention--by the media in big ten country. No one ever mentions that except for yours truly.

None of the opposing coaches respected him enough to vote him as the top player or two (or three or four) at his position, even though he a had been three year starter.

And considering Zook's penchant for being a great recruiter but a poor coach--FOUR freakin' guys taken from his team in the top 48 this year and they go 2-6 in the Big Ten--he has been fired. Zook's teams woefully underperformed. They had the talent, that's for sure.

Tavon Wilson was All-Big Ten Honorable Mention by the Media. Alfonzo Dennard was the Big Ten Tatum-Woodson Defensive Back of the Year. Not bad for the Patriots to get both guys.

To be fair, the whole All Big ten selections are a joke. I know bc 2 years ago, they put a WR who tends to drop the ball and another worthless LT on that list.

And they were Buckeye players.

The Patriots talked themselves into believing he was a high-round pick just as they did for Ron "Flounder" Brace and Gansta Merriwether. However Wilson is a much higher character guy than the Gangsta probablly and probably a pretty good ...maybe as good as James Sanders...oh wait...:confused:

Can someone explain why Sanders was cut?

Did i say all star teams mattered? I'm curious what my quote and your post have to do with each other.

The guy played multiple positions which tends to not put you in position to be an all star at any one position, but obviously gets much love from your coach.

here's to versatility

versatility-versatility-demotivational-poster-1216344083.jpg

Zook's coaching skills have no relation to this matter, Mike Gillhamer was the secondary coach, he is the one who was coaching him. Wilson was too much of a tweener CB/S to make All-Big 10, but that might be just what iis needed in the NFL right now.
Right you are, except Gillhamer came in at the middle of Tavon's career at Illinois. It was not so good before then.

The point is still valid, even if the coaching at Illinois left a lot to be desired, it won't in NE. And more important TW is going to be very coachable.

I see your underlying ignorance is not limited to football.

You are just as clueless in the field of naval affairs.

That's quite the achievement.:rocker:

don't be angry

Last edited:
Okay, I can finally chime in on this.
I have a college friend who now works for an NFC team.(He asked not to name the team) He is low on the totum pole but basically he is an assistant to the midwest regional scout for this team. He did a lot of tape cut up for scouting reports and was involved in putting together the reports on players from the scouts. I was finally able to get a hold of him (took a vacation after the draft) and ask him what he could tell me about what they had on Tavon Wilson.
He laughed and knew right when that pick was made that I would be calling him about the pick, so he looked back at the notes he had worked on about him
Here is what he felt comfortable telling me.

Some of the notes they had on him was that he was versatile and underrated. Solid tackler, they liked him better at safety than corner, but liked him as a blitzer. Has good backpedal and footwork. Needs to locate ball better(that is why they liked him at safety more) Extremely coachable and hard working, high ethics, no off field issues. Strong on and off field leader. No red flags.

He would not tell me who the safeties were rated in front of Wilson but he did say that they had him in their top 5 with a 3rd round grade.

He did say that they did not have him in for a private workout that he knew of, but from the notes looks like they spent extra time with him at his pro day, would not say what his pro day notes said for some reason.

He also said that they had 2 codes on his name which were rising and undervalued.

I asked him how he could be rising and undervalued at the same time and he told me that the scout thought his play was undervalued because the tape at safety was limited. He was a riser because they got wind of several teams late in the process taking a closer look at him, did not have specific teams.

Just take this for what its worth. Like I said, he is low on the totum pole but he does have a very limited insight from an actual team in the NFL.
I asked him if he remembered him specifically remembered him when he was cutting up film work and he said he did not. He was going to try and go back and watch him in the next couple of weeks if he had time.

The Patriots talked themselves into believing he was a high-round pick just as they did for Ron "Flounder" Brace and Gansta Merriwether. However Wilson is a much higher character guy than the Gangsta probablly and probably a pretty good ...maybe as good as James Sanders...oh wait...:confused:

Can someone explain why Sanders was cut?

Yep, just like they did with Mankins and Vollmer, both wasted picks, and they took that scrub Brady with a 6th when Kiper still has 3 QB's with 3rd round grades on the board and it was clear to all the draft EXPERTS that his skills simply wouldn't transmit to the NFL. Frigging Belichick, always thinking he'[s smarter than the true experts who put so much time into evaluations, like you Fred. This team would have been so much better with you guys running it, instead of Belichick ruining it. You rock.

Ultimately, as long as Wilson can play and be a solid contributor, it doesn't matter when he got drafted. BB and his scouting department have drafted some DBs that turned out to be solid pros and some DBs have not worked out but either way, we all know that they've done their research and due diligence prior to making draft picks. I don't necessarily agree with when we drafted this guy, but I know we have one of the best scouting departments in the NFL, we have a great coaching staff and he'll be put in the best position to succeed.

.Just take this for what its worth. Like I said, he is low on the totum pole but he does have a very limited insight from an actual team in the NFL.
This might be true, but he's miles ahead of the learning curve than just about everyone here except OTG -
People point out that they could have taken Iloka or Martin instead. Guess what, for 5 plus rounds, every team passed on them, so if the patriots would have taken them in the 2nd would that have been a reach? Probably not at the time of the draft, but hindsight makes me realize just how little I know despite what I am able to watch and read from the so called experts.
This could be the most illuminating quote of the entire draft. I would have been "thrilled" if Ioki or Martin had been the Pats S selection.....as would most of Patriot nation. And those mediots and fans who might have disagreed with the pick would have done so without all the vehemence and stunned outrage that the Wilson pick engendered.

You can almost see Kiper calling the pick of Iloki or Martin "a slight reach, but understandable given the need". We then would have seen the clips they'd prepared and the night would have gone on with hardly a ripple.

Once again with the advantage of 20-20 hindsight we can see that it was Iloki AND Martin who would have been the "outrageous" reaches and it was Wilson who was the slight reach made understandable by the need. Instead what we got was wide eyed gasps and the shuffling of papers desperately trying to find out who Wilson was and trying to explain why the Pats would have drafted him in the 2nd round.

MWPF, you have done us all a great service with this info. I know I learned a great lesson with your post, and feel a great deal better about the pick. Knowledge truly is power.

Now I need you to find out how the F**k BB was talked into that horrible trade by GB, when Denver was giving away the store just a few picks later.

This could be the most illuminating quote of the entire draft. I would have been "thrilled" if Ioki or Martin had been the Pats S selection.....as would most of Patriot nation. And those mediots and fans who might have disagreed with the pick would have done so without all the vehemence and stunned outrage that the Wilson pick engendered.

Iloka, Martin and Antonio Allen all were taken significantly lower than projections. As I mentioned earlier, there were 4 safeties drafted ahead of them from powerhouse schools like South Carolina State, Maine, Eastern Washington and Samford. This says to me that teams were looking for different characteristics for the safety position than the scheme-agnostic evaluations of scouting services. Given the rise of a combo/multiple TE world, it isn't surprising.

You can almost see Kiper calling the pick of Iloki or Martin "a slight reach, but understandable given the need". We then would have seen the clips they'd prepared and the night would have gone on with hardly a ripple.

Once again with the advantage of 20-20 hindsight we can see that it was Iloki AND Martin who would have been the "outrageous" reaches and it was Wilson who was the slight reach made understandable by the need. Instead what we got was wide eyed gasps and the shuffling of papers desperately trying to find out who Wilson was and trying to explain why the Pats would have drafted him in the 2nd round.

The pick makes sense if the following is true:
1) Wilson was a unique scheme fit for the Pats (meaning Wilson, not just a safety like Wilson, was the target)
2) The Pats needed a safety to make their draft plan "complete"
3) There was a reasonable risk that Wilson would be scooped up ahead of a trade-down

Can't comment yet on #1 though we can guess the Pats felt this way. Item #2 is almost a certainty. As for #3, that takes a little detective work.

The Ravens, Packers and Cowboys all had key needs at safety. The Pats knew that Wilson worked out for a number of teams besides them...more than a late round prospect would be expected to have. The Packers (#59) and Ravens (#60) were lurking in the 2nd round. Could the Pats have traded down and still gotten Wilson at pick #62? Possibly. Was it a certainty that both the safety-needy Packers and Ravens wouldn't take Wilson before the Pats got that chance? Not 100% and enough evidence to make Belichick paranoid. They were both part of the next tier safety run in the 4th and the Ravens pick (Christian Thompson) is a similar prospect to Wilson.

This tells me the Pats were zeroed in on Wilson and the haul they could get for pick #48 wasn't worth the chance (however slim) that he would go prior to #62.

Now I need you to find out how the F**k BB was talked into that horrible trade by GB, when Denver was giving away the store just a few picks later.

That was the best offer he had at the time. Teams don't always deal the same way (or at all) with every team. This does indicate to me that Wilson was the last bit of urgent business for Belichick and he was transitioning to secondary objectives (ST, projects, sliders, etc). In this case, it was more important to get quantity than hold out for quality. Did it really matter what pick they used to get Ebner and Ebert? They likely weren't holding their breath for Bequette and Dennard, but wanted to have picks in place to get them or their like. In a nutshell, the trade-down market wasn't great and he wasn't motivated to spend the time/energy to maximize value.

:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

I miss the Matt Forte thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill