PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Everyone Seems VERY Happy With This Draft So Far

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why we are so eager to get rid of Burkhead. When healthy he is the most versatile of the backs and performs well in the big games.
Key being when healthy.

I tuned into Golic and Wingo this morning looking for some commentary on the Celtics/Bucks game. I was more than mildly surprised to see Wingo say that he thought the Pats had the best draft of any team. Even more surprised to see both Golics essentially agree with him.

At first glance it looks like they’ve picked up four immediate contributors in Harry, Williams, Winovich and Harris which is only going to help the team’s depth.

Drafting the punter was a bit of a head-scratcher, but I suppose it shouldn’t be because isn’t that the same round BB drafted Gost and Cardona?

I love drafting the two OL and giving them some time to develop in the system, especially in light of it being Thuney’s contract year. I appreciate how BB plans for these types of situations instead of being forced into making quick decisions once the player leaves in FA. I like Thuney, but we may have drafted his replacement if the team decides they won’t pay him Shaq Mason money—which seems likely at this point.

The remaining players are projects which is common in the later rounds but they have some potential.

It’s fun to speculate, but that’s all it is because as we all know...we just don’t know.

My thoughts:

a.) I am happy with the draft BUT.....I am a little concerned that everyone loves our draft. I am so used to people complaining or downgrading the Pats draft. I am a bit worried that this draft might be a flop....even if I think it's the best draft we have had since Vince Wilfork slid to #21 back in '04.

b.) A BIG WR? A BIG CB? A high motor pass rusher who can set the edge....what is not to like?

c.) I liked the punter/kicker kid...maybe he makes an impact...maybe not, but I don't want 3 kickers/punters on the roster come September.

d.) A QB in the 4th....okay by me...not really excited about it either....then again I wasn't super excited about Brady on the roster in 2000 as the 4th QB...so what do I know? Thought we could have gotten more help in the 4th. Wonder if this is viewed as an upgrade to Etling?

e.) Would have liked a TE, but the fact that we didn't draft one has to mean one of three things: #1 We weren't in position to draft a starter at TE, #2 We might have a trade/FA signing in mind, OR #3 We might seriously be high on the Izzo/ASJ/LaCosse combo.

f.) WR corps: Edelman, Thomas, Harry, Dorsett, Ellington, Berrios, and Harris.....I think we can go to war with these guys.

Just some food for thought:

Taller CBs tend to tread more closely to the 'not NFL level' line when it comes to talent (usually quickness) drop off, and it's also true that the Patriots had CBs who had at least some height to them. So, I think it's a fair question to ask why such a player was higher up on the totem pole than the available WRs and TEs.

But I think we could probably ask a different question:

Why didn't BB just trade up to get one more pick out of the second round, where he could have taken one of the available WRs/TEs? I know that it's a little bit unfair to ask, since it requires a great deal of speculation, but I think the question does impact the overall logic of BB's draft strategy this year, and is thus worth visiting.

Our TE situation is easier to analyze if we consider that it is very likely that we only carry 2, and that we are still likely to bring in a free agent.

My thoughts:

a.) I am happy with the draft BUT.....I am a little concerned that everyone loves our draft. I am so used to people complaining or downgrading the Pats draft. I am a bit worried that this draft might be a flop....even if I think it's the best draft we have had since Vince Wilfork slid to #21 back in '04.

b.) A BIG WR? A BIG CB? A high motor pass rusher who can set the edge....what is not to like?

c.) I liked the punter/kicker kid...maybe he makes an impact...maybe not, but I don't want 3 kickers/punters on the roster come September.

d.) A QB in the 4th....okay by me...not really excited about it either....then again I wasn't super excited about Brady on the roster in 2000 as the 4th QB...so what do I know? Thought we could have gotten more help in the 4th. Wonder if this is viewed as an upgrade to Etling?

e.) Would have liked a TE, but the fact that we didn't draft one has to mean one of three things: #1 We weren't in position to draft a starter at TE, #2 We might have a trade/FA signing in mind, OR #3 We might seriously be high on the Izzo/ASJ/LaCosse combo.

f.) WR corps: Edelman, Thomas, Harry, Dorsett, Ellington, Berrios, and Harris.....I think we can go to war with these guys.

After a few days of watching film & analyzing our draft class, I’ve come to the conclusion that my favorite is between Winovich and Cowart’s arms :D

After a few days of watching film & analyzing our draft class, I’ve come to the conclusion that my favorite is between Winovich and Cowart’s arms :D

Thank you for sharing that. I've no idea how welcome you'd be, but we can all dream, can't we? :D

maybe well trade a cb away

My thoughts:

I feel like this is because what is being built up to looks more like a traditional bullyball team instead of something that shifts from play to play, and that's easier to analyze.

(I also hope we don't go away from the 'what the hell are the Patriots going to throw at us' type of planning, though... I think these bullyball guys -are- gonna be good at that.)

Just some food for thought:

Taller CBs tend to tread more closely to the 'not NFL level' line when it comes to talent (usually quickness) drop off, and it's also true that the Patriots had CBs who had at least some height to them. So, I think it's a fair question to ask why such a player was higher up on the totem pole than the available WRs and TEs.

But I think we could probably ask a different question:

Why didn't BB just trade up to get one more pick out of the second round, where he could have taken one of the available WRs/TEs? I know that it's a little bit unfair to ask, since it requires a great deal of speculation, but I think the question does impact the overall logic of BB's draft strategy this year, and is thus worth visiting.

About time we drafted a taller CB....

B.B. has a questionable history with midget Corners

Duke Dawson
Darius Butler
Cyrus Jones
Terrance Wheatley
Johnathon Wilhite

Asante was the only hit

About time we drafted a taller CB....

B.B. has a questionable history with midget Corners

Duke Dawson
Darius Butler
Cyrus Jones
Terrance Wheatley
Johnathon Wilhite

Asante was the only hit

Apparently you dislike anyone under 6' -- and that's fine to have a preference at corner -- but at least be honest that McCourty, Ellis Hobbs, and Logan Ryan were all hits, and that the jury is still out on Dawson. That's a pretty biased list.

Apparently you dislike anyone under 6' -- and that's fine to have a preference at corner -- but at least be honest that McCourty, Ellis Hobbs, and Logan Ryan were all hits, and that the jury is still out on Dawson. That's a pretty biased list.

McCourty is a safety, not a CB. He was so bad as a CB in 2011-2012 that they moved him to safety and revived his career. Hobbs got owned by 6’5 plaxico in the super bowl. Logan Ryan is what 5’11-6’? Not that short

Love the first 5 picks on paper. We also know that some of the lesser known players drafted or signed as FA typically make the roster and become solid contributors.

I'm looking forward to how these guys look in TC and preseason as well as a lot of our second year players that didn't get to play last year because of injuries.

Lastly, i'm fine with not drafting a TE. It's safe to assume BB didn't think any of the TEs in the draft when we picked were better than the TEs we already have. I'll take his assessment over anyone.

I'm VERY happy too.

If N'Keal Harry pans out as hoped, this is a terrific draft. He seems to have the catch strength and ball-in-hand running appetite to be a combination of Patterson and Gordon.

The two O-line men look great picks. They don't have to be Vollmer and Mankins. If Dante can turn them into serviceable players -- (say) Waddle and Karras -- that's a big win.

Williams, Winovich and Cowart all look like good picks -- nothing is certain, but they're good prospects, and, if the worst comes to the worst, there are other players at those positions.

I'm certainly puzzled by the Harris pick. OK, if you get a chance draft a player who is way above anyone else on your roster, you should always take him, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Burkhead is really good, has a different skill set and it wouldn't save much money if he were cut. Ditto White. Last year was unusual with no Bolden/running back special teamer, three RBs injured and two they wanted to bring back (so they had to keep one on the 53) -- and CP was actually a very serviceable RB when he played. Maybe they keep an extra RB, maybe Harris bumps Bolden off special teams. But I'm sure that they have thought about that.

Likewise, I'm going to assume that they know what they are doing in not drafting a TE and drafting a punter.

And in preferring Stidham over trading for Rosen, whom they could have had for not that much more.

I'm going to add that, of the free agents, Beck (TE) and Davis (jinky, jukey WR) look like they could meet a need. I was more impressed with Ryan Davis than I was with what I saw of Berrios or Riley McCarron. But sorting that out is what the off-season and training camp are for.

Go Pats!

Mike, I respect your opinions very much, you are very insightful. However, I would like to respectfully suggest that you may be pleasantly surprised by the Harris pick.

Last year, Saban gave him more carries and more passes than: i) Josh Jacobs, who was the first RB back picked in the draft at Rd 1 #22 by Oakland; ii) Najee Harris, who was the 11th ranked prospect in the class of 2017 (and who will probably emerge this year) and is one of .
the most talented RB in years.

Harris is not some JAG who have benefited from the Alabama offensive lines, he has beat out some very, very good future NFL running backs at Alabama. Saban has given him more carries because he is smart, polished, mature, a fantastic blocker and a even better leader. He just doesn't make dumb mistakes. I think he fits the Patriots perfectly. This is not a special teams pick as you implied (although he is a fantastic special teamer), I think everyone will be shocked at his contributions next year, he is already a completely finished pro. Over the long term, Michael probably has more innate talent (if he can stay healthy). However, Harris is hardly some JAG filling in, I think he will contest for the greatest impact of all of the Pats rookies because he is already so polished and mature.

You heard it first here. ;)

Mike, I respect your opinions very much, you are very insightful. However, I would like to respectfully suggest that you may be pleasantly surprised by the Harris pick.

Last year, Saban gave him more carries and more passes than: i) Josh Jacobs, who was the first RB back picked in the draft at Rd 1 #22 by Oakland; ii) Najee Harris, who was the 11th ranked prospect in the class of 2017 (and who will probably emerge this year) and is one of .

Harris is not some JAG who have benefited from the Alabama offensive lines, he has beat out some very, very good future NFL running backs at Alabama. Saban has given him more carries because he is smart, polished, mature, a fantastic blocker and a even better leader. He just doesn't make dumb mistakes. I think he fits the Patriots perfectly. This is not a special teams pick as you implied (although he is a fantastic special teamer), I think everyone will be shocked at his contributions next year, he is already a completely finished pro. Over the long term, Michael probably has more innate talent (if he can stay healthy). However, Harris is hardly some JAG filling in, I think he will contest for the greatest impact of all of the Pats rookies because he is already so polished and mature.

At a minimum, Harris will be a very, very, very good backup.

Upside is Alfred Morris in his prime.

It's all bad...it's always all bad...bad bad bad bad...the Pats will never win with BB drafting players

Thank you for the kind words, Chris (appreciated if not deserved).

I'm still a bit bemused by the pick. The easiest way to explain it is to look at three things.

1. Quality of the player Thanks for your information there. I'm a Pats fan first, so I'm primed to buy into the optimism. Would it be fair to say that the hope is "First round player for third round cost" and that he could be on a level with Sony M?

2. Fit with the rest of the roster Here's where the doubt kicks in. It looks like the Pats will have an RB rota of Michel, Harris, White, Burkhead, Bolden. I don't think it's reasonable to see Harris as displacing either White or Burkhead, although perhaps they expect him to displace Bolden on Special Teams. I do think that the fit looks much stronger if the Pats hadn't drafted Michel last year, but, say, had kept LG Blount, or if Hill had stayed health. The injuries last year were exceptional both in number (Hill, Michel and Burkhead -- 3 of 4 running backs -- out for significant periods) and impact (having to keep Michel on the roster because IR-to-return was already occupied).

3. Opportunity Cost I'm no draft expert, so I don't have a player I'm burning with frustration the Pats didn't draft. But I will say that, if you're going to take a flyer with a 4th-rounder on a possible quarterback of the future, it wouldn't have cost so much more to go up to the 2nd and trade for Josh Rosen, who looks to me like a better prospect than Stidham.

Anyway, thanks for the info and welcome to New England, Mr Harris.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back