PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Even as the board's "Homer" I think Florio is insane on this one

Power rankings by their nature have a huge recency bias, amplifying what you did well last week and ignoring what you did poorly a month ago. But what you did poorly a month ago is still out there on tape, perhaps for someone to exploit. Maybe the teams you recently faced were just not able to exploit it.

Any way you slice it though, I think we are in the mix as a top 10 team. #2 seems a stretch.

Nobody pays much attention to NFL computer rankings, but after >10 games otr so I find them to be valuable.

Jeff Sagarin's ratings have NE #5, and #1 when using a "recent results" bias factor. By reent results the top teams are actually NE, KC, and Indy!

I once knew Sagarin, who was in my dorm in college. Nice to see that he rates the Pats highly, but the sole purpose for these rankings is merely grist for sports talk over a couple of beers.

So Florio has the Pats ranked second in this week's power rankings. The Pats have been awesome the last five weeks, but only the Cards being better than them? I am all in if you want to say they are the best team in the AFC right now. You can make a strong argument for that, but I would put at least 3-4 NFC teams ahead of the Pats at this moment.

Florio's recency bias makes the AP NCAA Poll look level headed by comparison

Florio really going for clicks from Pats fans and Pats haters alike....he knows, as does the national media, that even in post-Brady, anything "Pats" sells....

ON the train?

5va0ag.gif

...heck, you're the conductor! ;)
Rover, you've been on that train with me since it's started rolling and I love it!!!!

Power rankings by their nature have a huge recency bias, amplifying what you did well last week and ignoring what you did poorly a month ago. But what you did poorly a month ago is still out there on tape, perhaps for someone to exploit. Maybe the teams you recently faced were just not able to exploit it.

Any way you slice it though, I think NE is in the mix as a top 10 team. #2 seems a stretch.

Nobody pays much attention to NFL computer rankings, but after >10 games or so I find them to be valuable.

Jeff Sagarin's ratings have NE #5, and #1 when using a "recent results" bias factor. By recent results the top teams are actually NE, KC, and Indy!

This one's better, but I still think New England is too high.

Let them prove themselves with 3 wins in the next 4, and I'll change my mind.

Chiefs have proven they can win when it matters, as have the Bucs. Green Bays is still top five, as is Arizona, and probably LA.

After that, there are about a dozen teams who still have to sort themselves out.

Not to deflate everyone's balloon here but the 2019 Patriots were 8-0 and looked to have the 1985 Bears defense, and then just played 0.500 ball the rest of the way and had a 1st round exit.

So let's hold our horses here. It's been a good last 5 weeks. That's it. Watch this team mess up the OLine again and shoot themselves in the foot. Or, teams realize we only have 1 good cornerback and find ways to exploit our zone defense.

We don't have a unhappy, whine ass with one foot out the door at QB this year. That is a huge difference.

And I love Brady as much as anyone. But that is what he was in 2019...

Football Outsiders has the Pats 3rd in DVOA and 2nd in weighted DVOA (behind the Bucs). They also have the Pats 2nd most likely to win the Super Bowl behind the Bucs. DVOA is entirely algorithmic, i.e. no human judgment goes into the rankings.

Would love to see the TBvBB Bowl; would likely be the most anticipated game in American sports history. What's not to like? We can't lose!

Last edited:
The rankings are fine. Patriots should be top 3. The one that doesn’t belong is the Rams at #3. Here’s mine:

1. Cardinals
2. Buccaneers
3. Patriots
4. Packers
5. Chiefs
6. Ravens
7. Rams
8. Cowboys
9. Bills
10. Titans

I don't know if this has been posted, but SI has the pats rated as they're #2 pick for the Super Bowl

Sports Ilistrated has the Patriots rated #2 in its power rankings also

NFL Power Rankings: Chiefs Are Back on Top Kansas City may not be the No. 1 seed in the AFC, but they're No. 1 in this week's rankings.​

www.si.com

(tie)2. New England Patriots (7–4)​

Last week: Win at Atlanta, 25–0
Next week: vs. Tennessee

In-depth analysis, unrivaled access. Get SPORTS ILLUSTRATED's best stories every weekday. Sign up now.

This team suddenly smells a lot like the 2018 edition: power run game, efficient quarterback, dominant defense, one of those vanilla-scented car air fresheners. There’s a narrative that the five-game winning streak has come against a soft part of the schedule, but while the Chargers, Browns and Panthers aren’t elite, they’re all quality teams, and the Patriots outclassed all three.

We've won 5 in a row, are in first place and coming off a truly horrible year with potentially nothing to look forward to, thinking the Bills are going to rule the division for many years. I think it's great that fans are excited. I know I am!!!! We have our future qb, a very good defense, the GOAT as the coach. I've been on the train now for a while...if you don't want to jump on, no worries, but this team has a lot going for it. Is it the most talented, no, but I think we make up for it with great coaching and a team that has no quit in them....To me, it's even sweeter because most people were giving us 6 or 7 wins this year including many posters here......I'm loving it and to be honest, this is one of the most satisfying and fulfilling years that I've had as a Pat fan.
Oh, don't get me wrong...I am on the bandwagon too...

I just don't like how crowded it has become in the last 1-2 weeks with naysayers all of sudden anointing this team.... if we drop 2 in a row, we immediately fall out of playoff contention. The margin of error is razor thin right now....

Florio over the years has become pro Patriots. I can even say he has become a fan. The Steelers blood is there, but he has come to see the truth in how aggressive the league office goes after the Pats and how lax they treat others. He goes hard when we are in the news for the wrong reasons but overall I think he is fair in how he reacts when issues comes up for all teams.

Numbers
  • 1st in PPG differential
  • 3rd in DVOA
  • 1st in PFF grading (cumulative grades of all players)
  • top 3-5 team in EPA
Talent
  • elite OL
  • two quality RBs
  • top 10 TE
  • elite front seven
  • all-pro caliber CB1
  • three starting caliber safeties
The x-factor is the rookie QB performing like an above average starting QB

Intangibles
  • Goat HC
  • Elite ST unit - pats have the best average starting field position in the NFL
The pats are weak at WR & unproven at QB & CB. They stack up favorably everywhere else & are worthy of a top 3 team ranking outside of the superbowl participants last year IMO.

Numbers
  • 1st in PPG differential
  • 3rd in DVOA
  • 1st in PFF grading (cumulative grades of all players)
  • top 3-5 team in EPA
Talent
  • elite OL
  • two quality RBs
  • top 10 TE
  • elite front seven
  • all-pro caliber CB1
  • three starting caliber safeties
The x-factor is the rookie QB performing like an above average starting QB

Intangibles
  • Goat HC
  • Elite ST unit - pats have the best average starting field position in the NFL
The pats are weak at WR & unproven at QB & CB. They stack up favorably everywhere else & are worthy of a top 3 team ranking outside of the superbowl participants last year IMO.
Scheme - shift from press man to zone with disguise/rotation on the back-end. We almost never tried to fool anyone in the back-end over the years but it's become more and more prevalent recently.

The collective sports world just needs to pump the breaks (including many on this board). We lose to Ten and the story is going to be we can’t beat a legit team, everyone is crap, JMD sucks ass, is Bills better days behind him, where’s Tom Brady, etc etc

Me personally, I’m still I’m still in wait and see mode for this team/season

Wait until NE suffers a loss.

Folks will be running from the bandwagon.

So Florio has the Pats ranked second in this week's power rankings. The Pats have been awesome the last five weeks, but only the Cards being better than them? I am all in if you want to say they are the best team in the AFC right now. You can make a strong argument for that, but I would put at least 3-4 NFC teams ahead of the Pats at this moment.
Anyone calls you a Homer, just do what I do...claim the Iliad and the Odyssey as favorites with such quotes as "Even a fool learns something once it hits him" or "My name is Nobody."

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
Back