PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN writer: Pats the most interesting team of the offseason

No doubts , it will be very interesting to watch how BB and the Pats go about business in FA and draft

Bill has $60million in capspace in a year when the cap is going down and alot of teams are cap crunched and are going to have to let players go. This is the year if any for Bill to get some quality players for cheaper than normal times.

but QB is a big question mark that needs to be answered.

They probably have the biggest need (QB), among the most resources (decent draft pick and top 5 cap space), and intriguing motivation given what we just saw Brady do. I'd say interesting is a great word for them going into this offseason.

Bill has $60million in capspace in a year when the cap is going down and alot of teams are cap crunched and are going to have to let players go. This is the year if any for Bill to get some quality players for cheaper than normal times.

but QB is a big question mark that needs to be answered.
At least 60 mill. And that includes “adding” Hightower and the other opts outs.
Some, like cannon 7 mill savings, won’t be back, some could be restructured cut or traded which could free another 10-15 mill and rumor is the cap may be 10 mill more so it could be as much as 90,000,000 of cap space under a 185 mill cap.
Not only is that enough to bring in half a team big given the fact that first year cap hits are the lowest of the contract it’s really even more than that.
Think about this. On a 53 man roster with 26 “starters” including vital role players (nickel, 3rd down back, wr3 etc) you are talking about the cap space to bring in 13 new “starters” and 13 new non starters.
Assuming 10 of them are draft picks taking up minor chunks of the cap, you probably now are replacing 1/4 of the roster in free agency with almost half the money of the cap.
People are not seeing the enormous opportunity this team has to rebuild and do it all at once.
This has the potential to be the strongest and deepest free agent class in the history of the NFL. (And trades can be part of that too)

Give me that Jets April Super Bowl! :D

Lots of potential. Question is who will/can we land. Will Bill pay $10 for the pastrami or look for a 2/$10 turkey.

I look for a repeat of the 2000-01 off season. Everything is aligned for it to happen. Cap space, and a likely buyers market. Just need the QB.

Lots of potential. Question is who will/can we land. Will Bill pay $10 for the pastrami or look for a 2/$10 turkey.
I look for a repeat of the 2000-01 off season. Everything is aligned for it to happen. Cap space, and a likely buyers market. Just need the QB.
I agree. Bill will do the same thing he did before and during Brady's years - go after the mid level FA who's he may be familiar with. There may be a big FA Bill covets that he will spend top dollar for (Colvin, Thomas, and Gilmore). Which guy could you see Bill surprising us and giving a big contract to? I was shocked at the Gilmore signing and didn't think he was that great in Buffalo. Loved the Colvin and Thomas signings.

My surprise big contract is to Leonard Williams or LaVonte David. I like Trey Hendrickson as an under the radar pickup.

Last edited:
Pats are 2-3 yrs away from building a SB team. Until then there is going to be a lot of pain and agita. Brace yourself. 2001 was an abnormality.

Pats are 2-3 yrs away from building a SB team. Until then there is going to be a lot of pain and agita. Brace yourself. 2001 was an abnormality.
I'm ok with losing as long as there's a plan and we're closer to seeing the outcome of the plan.

Bill has that timeframe to build a contender and he won't get more than that.

I'm ok with another losing season as long as there's a plan and we're closer to seeing the outcome of the plan.

Bill has that timeframe to build a contender and he won't get more than that.
I dont think bill lasts next season. Kraft will bend over the local media pressure. I am rooting for leftwich as our next head coach. I am okay bill being let go right away actually so we can get a head start.

• Ha Ha
Reactions: sb1
I dont think bill lasts next season. Kraft will bend over the local media pressure. I am rooting for leftwich as our next head coach. I am okay bill being let go right away actually so we can get a head start.
If Bill got through the Lawyer Milloy and Deflategate fiascos I think he can handle any kind of media pressure today.

If Bill got through the Lawyer Milloy and Deflategate fiascos I think he can handle any kind of media pressure today.
What about Bob ? :-D

Bob should worry less about what the media says about the coach and be more concerned with not hiring morons that point cameras at other teams sidelines and cost his team draft picks.
"Should" is the operative word. We know how gutsy he is . and it would be easy for him to let BB go to let the fanbase know that he was responsible for the brady decision not the owner.

"Should" is the operative word. We know how gutsy he is . and it would be easy for him to let BB go to let the fanbase know that he was responsible for the brady decision not the owner.
If he does something stupid like that then he deserves to see his team miss the playoffs for the rest of the decade and there's an excellent chance that will happen too.

This could be the dumbest take of 2021 so far.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back