Status
Not open for further replies.

QuantumMechanic

Burn it all down!
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
(Trigger warning - ESPN)

Long and interesting piece to the extent you believe it.

Among other things claims there is tension between BB/trainers and Guerrero and that BB had told people he hoped to one day coach JG to the Super Bowl.

Tom Brady's most dangerous game

Interesting segment:

____

"The Chiefs drubbed the Patriots on Monday night early in the 2014 season, and Brady played so poorly -- so creakily -- that talk turned to whether he was, at long last, finished. A few days later, Belichick asked running backs coach Ivan Fears to speak to the team. Fears spoke about the importance of attitude, then turned to Brady and, with the entire team looking on, said, "Your body language reeks of fear."

In response, Brady did what Brady does: He willed himself to get better. He says he "doesn't remember" Fears saying that to him, but he will always remember the necessity, at that moment, for mental toughness. "It's an attitude adjustment," he says. "Not ever being satisfied. Things obviously have not been easy for me in my career."

What ensued over the next three seasons was arguably the greatest sustained performance by an aging athlete in the eternal history of athletes growing old -- a performance so consummate that it convinced Brady that, thanks to the TB12 Method, he wasn't really aging at all. Brady credited Guerrero for keeping his body intact, and Guerrero credited himself, but the Patriots credited adjustments Brady had made to his game. He wasn't too proud to throw the ball into the dirt at the first sign of danger, and he wasn't getting hit as much. And when the team saw how fresh his arm was at the end of a 2016 season that began with his serving a four-game suspension, talk among the coaches turned to the question that will follow Brady as long as he plays: Can he do 16 games again?"

____

I definitely remember more intermittent "turtling" going on back then... and NONE... I mean, virtually ZERO, now. So not only is Brady drinking from the fountain of youth, he has also conquered fear.

A couple of comments:

1. I LOVED it when they told the story of Ivan Fear telling Brady in front of the entire team that is body language "reeked of fear". One of Brady's most endearing qualities is that he WANTS to be coached hard. This is an example of him accepting hard coaching even in his 17th year.

2. I certainly wasn't surprised by the constant cynicism the BSPN writers brought to the piece. That's what they do. I also thought that their position that the Falcon Superbowl game was the test case for THEIR position, that Brady is the LUCKIEST QB ever to play the game.

In the end they fail to mention that Brady currently is the top rated QB in the league, even WITHOUT Edelman. They ignore how critical Brady is of himself, even when he has the stats to refute most criticism.

3. They are correct in believing that Brady IS the test case to prove his beliefs. However the fact that Brady needs to be "perfect" in order to make his point, seems a high bar to overcome.....but the BSPN boys aren't interested in seeing Brady succeed. They desperately want him to fail. (Thus the Edelman injury ending to the story)

4. I enjoyed the story more than most probably because I understood the underlying agendas. It would have been worth reading if only for the Fears story.

Jesus, the aged Brady photo accompanying the article freaked me out good.

ESPN is never going to stop trolling the Pats/Brady. That photoshopped cover was just blatant trolling.

I don't get how it is trolling when it says 2022 MVP on the cover and not 2022 washed-up QB. Plus, I'm sure Tom was aware of the cover.

It reminded me of bad Hollywood aging makeup.

A lot of the cynicism is justified. Bioceramic pajamas? Believing you can avoid sunburn via hydration? Please.

Wholeheartedly agree. I love Brady. I have 4 Tom Brady jerseys. I'm a huge homer and one of the biggest Brady fans ever. When it comes to some of the **** he is talking about like avoiding sunburn I can't help but feel like he is being conned by some snake oil salesman. Makes me kind of upset about the situation. But who knows.

BSPN is a joke.

TB’s fanaticism about his lifestyle and method reminds me of people who get into things like CrossFit or paleo and then see amazing results and suddenly start preaching as if this new way is the only way to live if you are seeking a certain goal (weight loss, performance, etc.). What doesn’t seem to occur to TFB is what it is inside himself that may be the reason why this method works so well for him but doesn’t quite seem to do the same for others.

I find it interesting and somewhat foreboding if it’s true BB is fed up with hearing about Guerrero, particularly if he’s badmouthing pats trainers. BB is just like anyone on social media who wants to block the rabid cross fitter or paleo freak because they just don’t STFU. But in the case he can’t.

How does anyone even know what's in BSPN The Mag?

That mag's not even good for wiping your ass. Paper's too shiny.

IMO, it is the kind of cynicism and group think on display in this thread that robs so many people of the higher quality and longer life than they could otherwise enjoy and puts them at the mercy of the real snake oil salesman, aka “Big Pharma.” Those who make their fortunes canonizing an approach to medicine that pressures us to put absolute faith in convention and pedigree while ridiculing anything or anyone coming from an approach that isn’t dependent on expensive surgeries and/or prescription drugs are, to my thinking, much more dangerous (not to mention responsible for many more unnecessary and premature deaths) than the occasional outside-the-box guru/trainer like Guerrero who comes along.

I once had the privilege of working at a non-profit “lifestyle center” where I witnessed people from all walks of life suffering from chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, obesity, etc. return to health and wellness in just 18 days. It was a physician supervised, residential treatment program built on many of the principles TB12 teaches including (plant-based) diet, exercise (including aerobic, strength, and flexibility training), education and behavioral health counseling.

Not only did I witness hundreds of very ill people (some having been sent home to die by their doctors and ALL being treated with conventional drugs/big pharma) made well through this “alternative approach” to healthcare, I personally experienced the power of “lifestyle medicine” to change my life and future. In just a few short months I went from fat, weak, unhealthy and pre-diabetic, to fit, healthy, and strong. I remember one of our physicians always saying that “genetics loads the gun but lifestyle pulls the trigger” and that the choice was largely up to us whether we would have a “long life and a short death or short life and a long death.”

If anything, after his playing career is over, I’d like to see TB12 use his fame and influence to do more than merely help athletes recover faster, improve their performance, or increase the longevity of their careers. IMO, Tom Brady has an incredible opportunity to take his methods and his message to the masses where it will impact the lives of millions and, dare I say it, change the world.

Go drink lots of water and stand out in the summer sun for a few hours and let us know how that goes. While wearing bioceramic underwear. Then go drink some TB12 branded water and have someone slug you in the head and see how well the concussion avoidance goes. And so on and so on.

Also, if you happen to develop a case of MRSA, etc. tell us how things go after you've finished avoiding "Big Pharma" and prescription antibiotics. We'll be waiting.

I don't think a single person here has complained about eating a good diet, getting sleep, and flexibility training.

It's the other crap. And it's not like Guerrero doesn't have a documented history of peddling fraudulent crap.

Go drink lots of water and stand out in the summer sun for a few hours and let us know how that goes. While wearing bioceramic underwear. Then go drink some TB12 branded water and have someone slug you in the head and see how well the concussion avoidance goes. And so on and so on.

Also, if you happen to develop a case of MRSA, etc. tell us how things go after you've finished avoiding "Big Pharma" and prescription antibiotics. We'll be waiting.

I don't think a single person here has complained about eating a good diet, getting sleep, and flexibility training.

It's the other crap. And it's not like Guerrero doesn't have a documented history of peddling fraudulent crap.

Yeah, cuz I said nobody should take antibiotics. Carry on old chap!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back