PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Encouraging news re: Gilmore

Have ruptured both my quads, one in 2015 and the other in 2019. Its 6-8 weeks of bring immobile after the surgery and basically just a long recovery.

Will he back in pats uniform next year though is the question.
I highly doubt it....this is exactly the point in time for an elite player (hasn’t shown it this year but was elite) when BB trades them....best of luck to stephon ....hope he gets healthy and gets one more payday

Torn quads and surgery. It's not good. Quad problems have a tendency to recur. When a quad tears, even partially, it means it's come off the bone. I would be very worried.
Doesn’t always mean “it’s come off the bone”. Sometimes tears are solely in the tendon and muscle to some extent, but have not caused avulsion from bone.....If he has small tear he will make great recovery. Significant tears are another story.....Wishing him the best

Should of traded him earlier in the year when he was healthy.

Why would he be cut? There's no savings there. He's in the last year of his contract with a $7m base. That's cheap.

Gilmore will count as $17 million cap for next season. If he's cut the cap hit is $7 million.

He's worth the $10 million difference, if 100%, but how many non QB's have carried that size cap on the Patriots?

They may keep Gilmore and pick up a high draft pick the following year, but I doubt they offer enough for him to consider a restructuring.

It's worth paying for 2 elite corners in this pass happy league, compared to paying for 2 expensive blocking guards ....

Gilmore will count as $17 million cap for next season. If he's cut the cap hit is $7 million.

He's worth the $10 million difference, if 100%, but how many non QB's have carried that size cap on the Patriots?

They may keep Gilmore and pick up a high draft pick the following year, but I doubt they offer enough for him to consider a restructuring.

His base is $7m, so his bonus cap hit would be $10m. If you cut him, that counts as $10m in bonus you have to account for.

According to Miguel's site, you save only $6m by cutting Gilmore.

Here are the players with big cap hits other than Gilmore:

Joe Thuney
Jonathan Jones $9.3m
D McCourty $13m
NKeal Harry $7m

McCourty won't be cut because he costs more to cut than to keep. Same with Jonathan Jones.

Jason McCourty might be in danger, as well as Lawrence Guy.

Other than these Gilmore, J. McCourty and Lawrence Guy, there's very little for Belichick to consider when it comes to cap savings from cutting players. & Gilmore is definitely worth more than $6m in cap savings.

His base is $7m, so his bonus cap hit would be $10m. If you cut him, that counts as $10m in bonus you have to account for.

According to Miguel's site, you save only $6m by cutting Gilmore.

Who am I to argue with Miguel? Other sites have the cap savings differently however.

Any explanations on this different results?

Who am I to argue with Miguel? Other sites have the cap savings differently however.

Any explanations on this different results?

The explanation is my misreading.

I was looking at a graph that stopped with 2020, which was the $6m number.

So it is indeed $7.5m.

I still say this isn't enough of a savings.

The difference between $8.9m and $7.5m is only $1.4m.

Would we really cut Gilmore to save $1.4m?

No. It's far more likely that Gilmore will seek a new contract.

The explanation is my misreading.

I was looking at a graph that stopped with 2020, which was the $6m number.

So it is indeed $7.5m.

I still say this isn't enough of a savings.

The difference between $8.9m and $7.5m is only $1.4m.

Would we really cut Gilmore to save $1.4m?

No. It's far more likely that Gilmore will seek a new contract.

I don't understand what you are saying? The savings is 9 million. The cap cost is $17 million. That doesn't sound like a number BB will want to go for.
Glad its not gonna hurt his trade value.

Which brings up a great point, that it's a tradeable contract considering there's a high draft pick, at worse, over the rainbow.

They might let his agent make the deal, and he'll re-up.

It looks to me like Gilmore's a candidate to be cut.

How does this injury effect that?

Cut? He's under contract next year, they would never just cut the reigning DPOY, they would trade him to some CB needy team that is on the verge of a title (like Tampa, GB, NO, Seattle, etc)

Doesn’t always mean “it’s come off the bone”. Sometimes tears are solely in the tendon and muscle to some extent, but have not caused avulsion from bone.....If he has small tear he will make great recovery. Significant tears are another story.....Wishing him the best

Thought I remember reading that a full tear on a quad (or maybne it was hamstring) is better than partial tear because of the healing process or something? Or maybe it was because a full tear from the bone didnt require surgery, since a partial tear they have to basically do the surgery to fully remove it from the bone so it can heal?

FYI Im not a doctor, if you couldnt tell

I don't understand what you are saying? The savings is 9 million. The cap cost is $17 million. That doesn't sound like a number BB will want to go for.

Which brings up a great point, that it's a tradeable contract considering there's a high draft pick, at worse, over the rainbow.

They might let his agent make the deal, and he'll re-up.

The link that you gave me showed his cap hit for 2021 is $8.9m.

The link that you gave me showed his cap hit for 2021 is $8.9m.

That is correct. If Gilmore is cut his cap hit is 8.9 million. If they keep him it's around 17 million.

That is correct. If Gilmore is cut his cap hit is 8.9 million. If they keep him it's around 17 million.

So, the real question is, do they cut him and save $7.5m? This would assume he can be replaced for $7.5m. Otherwise, why would you do it?

So, the real question is, do they cut him and save $7.5m? This would assume he can be replaced for $7.5m. Otherwise, why would you do it?

Agreed. Traded is most likely. Sign JC Jackson, bring in a mid range veteran, and develop younger players.

Gilly gonna be makin bid-ness decisions n sh!t these last two games now...
Should've changed that to mean the off-season...His decision about holding-out during TC will now likely depend on the progress his rehab is making...

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back