PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Embrace the Suck"

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a houseful of Georgians this weekend for a graduation event. I had so much fun torturing them. My wife shushed me more in those two days than she has in our entire marriage.

If anyone actually sees an "embrace the suck" t-shirt for sale online, please let me know. I'll have some shipped down there pronto. But don't tell my wife.

We had a houseful of Georgians this weekend for a graduation event. I had so much fun torturing them. My wife shushed me more in those two days than she has in our entire marriage.

If anyone actually sees an "embrace the suck" t-shirt for sale online, please let me know. I'll have some shipped down there pronto. But don't tell my wife.

So we are talking about a t shirt where a Falcon embraces a Jet?

I'll get right on that.

"Embrace the Suck" is a phrase that gets thrown around military circles; but it's USUALLY in one of two contexts. In one case, it could be about accepting the fact the Army sucks and you have to get through it until you ETS (end time in service). I don't think that's what he's going for here.

In the other case, it's about accepting the pain and agony that comes from constant training to be the best at what we do, seeing the "suck" of misery as an essential part of the process of rounding into a worthwhile soldier/paratrooper/Ranger/etc. It's about looking forward when suffering.

What Quinn is peddling here is looking backwards and letting a crushing defeat define them. Wrong message...

Funny. ETS = Embrace the Suck. That wasn't around when I was in or I never heard of it if it was. The going phrase back then was FTA or "F the Army".

We know they need to fully feel the disappointment as a group before they can move on; anything lingering will drag on their ability to bounce from it. This will be a test of his coaching ability unlike anything most NFL coaches every face. He's got to sense the team's mood and make the right moves at the right time. When to stop talking about it will be something that can only be sensed from inside the locker room.

As you imply the makeup of every team and player is different. Quinn needs to sense that and implement a plan that will help that player get through it in a way that is tailored to that team & individual.

However, there is also the BB school of thought which is, "It sucks. That's life. Learn from it as it will make you stronger. Move on."

I recall hearing a story shortly after SB 42 in which BB strongly encouraged every player and coach from that squad to get the hell away from football for a few weeks, let the loss settle in and if you need to, deal with it before 2008 TC. The point was he knew everyone was different but the organizational message was while he understood the loss stung hard, he was already thinking about 2008.

The Jets embraced the Suck over half a century ago. They are the embodiment of Suck. Quin should print T-shirts saying 'Embrace the Jets". Its a far clearer and effective message. Every one knows what it means. No one wants to Jet.

There was a grand total of nothing wrong with the Falcons defense. They did a hell of a job in the first half. The offense didn't play NFL football much less playoff football, overshadowed the excellent job OUR defense did at limiting the Falcons' offensive possession time, and the fact that the Falcons' OC showed no interest or fascination with playing for possession time definitely helped.

It's the same old problem with gunslinger quarterbacks, and one of the reasons Bledsoe was not the right quarterback to win Superbowls for us. Gunslingers don't watch the clock. They want the big play, so they swing for the home run a lot too much, and even when it works you don't burn enough clock. that was why the Falcons were able to put up so many points while giving Brady all the time he needed to come back. The thing the Falcons probably feel they got most right was their big undoing.

The problems the Falcons encountered were primarily offensive problems. It was the Falcons' offense that repeatedly let the Patriots back into the game. It was the offense that didn't manage the clock or play for possession, and kept a gassed defensive unit on the field. It was the offense that coughed up the ball instead of giving their team the points they needed to win.

Their defense did a fine job until the complete neglect of the clock and possession games by the coaches and players on the offensive side of the ball caught up to and exposed that defense. And the key to the offensive problems might be the offensive gameplan, but the reason for the gameplan is Matt Ryan, and this is why I honestly don't think Ryan will win Superbowls. In fact Ryan reminds me a lot of Bledsoe, both to the good and to the bad, and it was the same sort of decision making that kept Bledsoe from winning Superbowls for us. Meathead quarterbacks who exist to be a home run threat on every possession are only an asset when they have and will listen to a good coach and strategist that will get them to play the rest of the game intelligently. Bledsoe had a coach like that but wouldn't listen to him. Ryan doesn't have one.

If they are convinced the problem is defensive, then in typical also-ran fashion they're going to be going into the preseason trying to fix the wrong problem and that makes me happy, because it highlights the superiority of our coaching staff and the inferiority of theirs and means that, as good as their roster is, the Atlanta Falcons will not be back in the Superbowl.

Last edited:
The military angle is interesting:

819JQSR%2BxbL._SL1500_.jpg

But the law of trademarks uses context analysis, so I cannot see the Jets allowing use of the word 'suck' without a licensing agreement as they have so cornered the NFL market on that concept.

brace-yourself-new-g81mi7.jpg

As you imply the makeup of every team and player is different. Quinn needs to sense that and implement a plan that will help that player get through it in a way that is tailored to that team & individual.

However, there is also the BB school of thought which is, "It sucks. That's life. Learn from it as it will make you stronger. Move on."

I recall hearing a story shortly after SB 42 in which BB strongly encouraged every player and coach from that squad to get the hell away from football for a few weeks, let the loss settle in and if you need to, deal with it before 2008 TC. The point was he knew everyone was different but the organizational message was while he understood the loss stung hard, he was already thinking about 2008.

Quinn has a tough job ahead of him. In my opinion the Falcon's coaching staff blew that game and the players played well enough to win it. That has to fester in some of the player's minds. Quinn will have to deal with that which may intensify after every loss especially if those losses involve questionable play calling.

It will be interesting how they respond during the season. "Embrace the Suck??" "How about Embrace the Run when you're in field goal range?" "How about Embrace Julio Jones more than 4 times??" "How about Embrace a time out when we're huffing and puffing on the field??"

Good idea, bad presentation.

At its core it seems like this is about accepting what happened and moving forward which is, you know, the best way to handle any kind of defeat or tragedy. No different than when Belichick buried the football. Or 'We're on to Cincinnati'.

"Embrace the Suck" just seems like the worst way to term it.
Why would you want to embrace the suck? Shouldn't the theme be, "Well, that sucked Let's move on." Whatever. Looking forward to the rematch.

Quinn has a tough job ahead of him. In my opinion the Falcon's coaching staff blew that game and the players played well enough to win it. That has to fester in some of the player's minds. Quinn will have to deal with that which may intensify after every loss especially if those losses involve questionable play calling.

It will be interesting how they respond during the season. "Embrace the Suck??" "How about Embrace the Run when you're in field goal range?" "How about Embrace Julio Jones more than 4 times??" "How about Embrace a time out when we're huffing and puffing on the field??"
Not only that, but Quinn keeps saying that his players being gassed was the main reason they lost, rather than mistakes by the coaching staff. At least do it the BB way and say, "I have to coach better and the players have to play better. It's as simple as that."

They've been a loser franchise for their entire existence. Good to see that they're finally embracing it.

Hey Falcons,

7LxyeF8.gif

The concept of "We're on to Chicago" eludes him.

He wanted to say that but feared sounding like BB.

Quinn's thoughts:

Do your job - "Damn that's good.....I need something like that"

We're on to.... - "Yes Yes... Short, concise yet effective..."

"I need a motivating bumper sticker type statement"

The past is the past and the future is what you make it - "Geez sounds good but it's just too long"

Four Scores and 7 drives ago we..... " Ugh.... What did Abe know anyways..."

We have spirit yes we do...... " Too religious"

Embrace the Suck - "OMG.... That's it.....it has all the elements.....it's short...it has the embracing and the sucking....it's perfect."

"BB will be jealous"

"Bracelets and T-Shirts for everyone"

"GOOOO TEAM!!"
upload_2017-5-16_12-32-59.png

"Embrace the Suck" is a phrase that gets thrown around military circles; but it's USUALLY in one of two contexts. In one case, it could be about accepting the fact the Army sucks and you have to get through it until you ETS (end time in service). I don't think that's what he's going for here.

In the other case, it's about accepting the pain and agony that comes from constant training to be the best at what we do, seeing the "suck" of misery as an essential part of the process of rounding into a worthwhile soldier/paratrooper/Ranger/etc. It's about looking forward when suffering.

What Quinn is peddling here is looking backwards and letting a crushing defeat define them. Wrong message...

I believe this started with the 101st Airborne and grew from there so you're right on. Doing some Googling, it seems like this company has had these shirts out for years:

FB_IMG_1494952707059.jpg

Falcons fans are on board though...o_O

"Eat A Crap Sandwich With A Smile"

OT: I was reading through that thread and someone mentions that "Embrace the suck" is loosely translated from the latin phrase of "Hive Sop Dap". I googled that because it's not latin and ran into this funny ass thread.

Julio!

Basically a poster wrote an incoherent post which was in part due to being drunk and in part due to Auto Correct and got humorously destroyed for it. Give Some Dap was auto corrected to Hive Sop Dap.

This has Jets PR team written all over it.

It would actually be really cool if they did this after winning the SB.

But this, now? Nope. I realize it is a military thing, and respect that. I get it. But the optics are awful. Well done Falcons you somehow made it worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes