PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eli Manning benched

Bruce Arians, his QB, and the entire Tampa organization are clown cars, and damn them to hell for allowing the disgusting, rancid Vagiants & their Goober Jr QB to over-take them for the win. Now the other New Jersey swamp franchise thinks they're somebody...Jason Light should've been FIRED the microsecond yet another drafted Place-Kicker missed another easy FG.
Taking a delay of game to have your kicker 5 yards further ON PURPOSE.. WTF??? TB deserved to lose.....

Taking a delay of game to have your kicker 5 yards further ON PURPOSE.. WTF??? TB deserved to lose.....

It does make sense to do that, sometimes. That just didn't apply in this case. Arians outsmarted himself.

1) I agree that Jones did not win the game. The TB coach and kicker did that.

2) The giants are truly an awful team. Some of the mediots suggested that Jones replace Eli as soon as it became clear the giants were done; other said after the giants were 0-2. The giants were right to start Jones.

3) Eli should be retiring.

The Giants did not win because of Daniel Jones. The Giants won because the Bucs pissed the game away. The biggest difference between Eli and Jones, besides Jones playing against the weakest defense the Giants have seen this year, and besides the Bucs not having video on Jones in order to design their defense against him, is that Eli wasn't gifted a Winston pick or a GWFGA miss.

1) I agree that Jones did not win the game. The TB coach and kicker did that.

2) The giants are truly an awful team. Some of the mediots suggested that Jones replace Eli as soon as it became clear the giants were done; other said after the giants were 0-2. The giants were right to start Jones.

3) Eli should be retiring.

I'm with you on points 1 and 3. I'm not with you on point 2, but only in the sense that I'd say that they should either have started Jones week one, or Gone with Manning for longer than they did. Changing after 2 games is not good, IMO.

It does make sense to do that, sometimes. That just didn't apply in this case. Arians outsmarted himself.
Sometimes, it does. However when he has already missed 2 XPs from the same longer distance, it was "too slick by half" as you said, he outsmarted himself. kick would have been good from 29 likely....

When does it make sense to do that?

When does it make sense to do that?

If you're in very close and on the hash mark, you can run into situations where you've got a kicker who much prefers one side over the other. So, if you're in close enough where the 5 yards isn't of much import, you'd take the trade off.

If you're in very close and on the hash mark, you can run into situations where you've got a kicker who much prefers one side over the other. So, if you're in close enough where the 5 yards isn't of much import, you'd take the trade off.

Okay, but isn’t that running an actual play to get to the other hash (losing yardage doing so), or does a delay of game penalty allow you to change the spot too?

Okay, but isn’t that running an actual play to get to the other hash (losing yardage doing so), or does a delay of game penalty allow you to change the spot too?

I was using the game at hand for most of the example. In the game, Arians followed up the taking of the penalty with a play to move the ball to the middle, which resulted in an additional 2 yards lost. But, for a hard angle, even if you keep it on the same hash mark, geometry shows that you'll improve the angle by going backwards. So, if you're going to kick from, say the 8 (snap from the 1), and you move back to the 13 (snap from the 6), you're increasing the margin for error in terms of width, without making the length of the kick much of an issue (it's still less than a 25 yard attempt).

But, normally, if you've got the time, or the timeouts, you're just going to snap the ball and go to the ground where the kicker prefers it.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back