PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ekuale sack on Allen

Ekuale is e sneaky little beast. Played well every time he was asked. Can play all over DL / all downs as legit rotational player.
Could be what they wanted with Adam Butler. Tough luck they were/are full at DL on 53 as it is.
Elevating him and benching Tavai was the first positive sign yesterday.

His regular elevations were over weeks ago, this was first opportunity for covid elevation and at just the right time.
He outsnapped C.Davis which considering game plan/opponent was not a surprise.
Id love if they can keep him for next yr. They are playing with fire keeping him on PS though and after prime time showing more so..

Keeping 5 DL on 53 makes no sense esp. with several places already taken by inactive future prospects -
still id rather have Eku safe and place Hoyer on PS, waive Tavai or even Durant despite the investment..
but i guess thats not how BB operates (esp re DL)
5 IDL is more than we need, but there are currently 7 LB on the roster when we've even kept as few as 3-4 in the recent past.

Where are we paying for this level of depth? This is a 53 man roster so eventually somewhere has fewer players than normal.

5 IDL is more than we need, but there are currently 7 LB on the roster when we've even kept as few as 3-4 in the recent past.

Some LBs (as well as DB) make the roster (incl active roster) on account of ST
King is core ST
Munson - very good STer, limited backup
Tavai - decent ST, liability as backup (both Patricia & BB loved him pre-draft)

Perkins is the future project

They also have 2 activated from IR - who started practicing and Pats have open window of 3 weeks to sign them to 53:
Langi - very good ST, solid backup - possible they bring him back
McGrone - potentially perfect compliment to ILB group - strong and fast - coming back from inj., missed all offseason practices - unlikely 53

And there's Uche coming back in a couple of weeks as well.

So a bit of a log jam at position with everybody healthy atm. I do agree its too many with little contribution.

Ekuale could take Anderson's role a bit as well so i would def. try find a roster spot for him but with unusually healthy and boosted “front 7“ depth as it was i understand it is not easy.

Ekuale has bounce around the NFL because he is not overly quick or strong. Bottom of the roster guy, an OK rotational guy. He might get a few sacks a year because no offense will worry about double teaming him.

Yeah nobody's saying he's the next Aaron Donald, but he seems to have some utility off the bench

Ekuale gets that easy lane to Allen because Barmore is drawing double teams but it's still critical for that play to work that guys win the 1 on 1s Barmore creates, and Ekuale did, and handily too. He just kinda flowed around #75, wrapped up Allen and didn't let go.
Barmore looks like the Tasmanian devil pushing back that double team. So awesome.

Ekuale has bounce around the NFL because he is not overly quick or strong. Bottom of the roster guy, an OK rotational guy. He might get a few sacks a year because no offense will worry about double teaming him.

He is obviously quick enough, strong enough to play significant snaps in key game for NE as PS elevation (3rd time) despite healthy DL that plays well..

He hold his own in run D as well..

He is obviously quick enough, strong enough to play significant snaps in key game for NE as PS elevation (3rd time) despite healthy DL that plays well..

He hold his own in run D as well..

Was he two-gapping?

what do you think :)

like others played how they asked him . earned more snaps as the game went along

I have never seen Ekuale two-gap. He is always one-on-one when I see him. Different purpose than C Davis for example. Sometimes guys do not earn playing time, their skillset is better for the formation.

Not sure I love that post sack celebration though, needs work. That’s the important thing.

I hate those celebrations on a second down play. They really look stupid when the opposing team gets the first down on the next play.

Not sure I love that post sack celebration though, needs work. That’s the important thing.

my eight-year-old who doesn’t watch much football and is really more of a soccer fanatic also was very critical of the celebration.
“What adult does that??”

my eight-year-old who doesn’t watch much football and is really more of a soccer fanatic also was very critical of the celebration.
“What adult does that??”
"One who gets to play a game and make a very good living at it."

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes