PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ekuale sack on Allen

Simpelton

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score

First time I've ever noticed this guy and that sack looked very good. Solid push-pull, good motion with the feet, good use of weight to get around the OL, good grip on the tackle. Made his opponent look silly 1 on 1, got home and made it stick against a QB who's tough to sack. I think this is a practice squad guy but I think he may have earned himself a longer look.

Ekuale gets that easy lane to Allen because Barmore is drawing double teams but it's still critical for that play to work that guys win the 1 on 1s Barmore creates, and Ekuale did, and handily too. He just kinda flowed around #75, wrapped up Allen and didn't let go.

I think that was Ekuale's last practice squad elevation for the season, wonder if he might get promoted to the 53 outright next time they want to use him. He looks the part.

Somebody updated his wiki page FAST: Daniel Ekuale - Wikipedia

"On December 6, 2021, Ekuale had 2 tackles and sack in the Patriots 14-10 win over the Buffalo Bills".

I have to be honest, I had no idea who he was until he started making plays.

I think that was Ekuale's last practice squad elevation for the season, wonder if he might get promoted to the 53 outright next time they want to use him. He looks the part.
I saw he had a few reps later on...... Would like to see his snap count.

Looking at that play again it almost looks like Bill set up Ekuale on purpose with that 1 on 1 matchup. He's got Barmore forcing a double team and Judon goes out way wide, pulling a protector. Meaning there's a lot of space for Ekuale to work with to beat his man. Almost like springing Ekuale was the plan.

it's like Bill's saying, "OK dude, you want to be an NFL DE, here's a perfect matchup,, show me what you do with it."

When he has been given the opportunity to play, he has flashed. I believe he also had a sack against the Jets earlier this year. That was a big play last night.
yeah that's not the first time i've heard his name, but a few weeks ago might have been.

Making the most of the time he's been elevated from the PS. He had a sack in another game, as well. I'm pretty sure he can't be called up again, so it's either sign him to the 53-man or keep him on PS for the remainder of the season.

Ekuale is e sneaky little beast. Played well every time he was asked. Can play all over DL / all downs as legit rotational player.
Could be what they wanted with Adam Butler. Tough luck they were/are full at DL on 53 as it is.
Elevating him and benching Tavai was the first positive sign yesterday.

His regular elevations were over weeks ago, this was first opportunity for covid elevation and at just the right time.
He outsnapped C.Davis which considering game plan/opponent was not a surprise.
Id love if they can keep him for next yr. They are playing with fire keeping him on PS though and after prime time showing more so..

Keeping 5 DL on 53 makes no sense esp. with several places already taken by inactive future prospects -
still id rather have Eku safe and place Hoyer on PS, waive Tavai or even Durant despite the investment..
but i guess thats not how BB operates (esp re DL)

Ekuale is e sneaky little beast. Played well every time he was asked. Can play all over DL / all downs as legit rotational player.
Could be what they wanted with Adam Butler. Tough luck they were/are full at DL on 53 as it is.
Elevating him and benching Tavai was the first positive sign yesterday.

His regular elevations were over weeks ago, this was first opportunity for covid elevation and at just the right time.
He outsnapped C.Davis which considering game plan/opponent was not a surprise.
Id love if they can keep him for next yr. They are playing with fire keeping him on PS though and after prime time showing more so..

Keeping 5 DL on 53 makes no sense esp. with several places already taken by inactive future prospects -
still id rather have Eku safe and place Hoyer on PS, waive Tavai or even Durant despite the investment..
but i guess thats not how BB operates (esp re DL)
Love to see him in the bench rotation going forward

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back