PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edge Rusher Draft Thoughts

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Looking for players who dominate defensive lines, who change the line scrimmage with their play, who push the pocket; it seems to me those are the players who make an impact in the NFL playoffs. The fancy outside rushers like Beasley usually disappear and get man-handled against quality opponents but rack up sacks against bottom feeders.

Charlton
There is a major disconnect between what I see and what I read.
I read and hear that he is meh, inconsistent and not a great athlete
If you look at his games against Ohio State, Florida State, Wisconsin he dominates.
He can do anything he wants. He basically toys with the defense. He makes play after play. He has heavy hands, pushes top O-linemen around, gets low and uses leverage, can bend around the edge. I'd like to see him bull-rush more, to set up his outside rush and spin move. He is much more naturally athletic than Chandler Jones.

Charlton's game is more like Terrell Suggs/Bennett type, although Charlton is bigger than both.
Charlton has a nasty, arrogance to his game. He is an extremely intelligent football player smarter than anyone on the Michigan defense and smarter than the offensive players. Ramcyk got bullied quite a bit, to me that was a clear win for Charlton

I think his game translates much better to winning football than any other edge player by some distance.
I would be very happy if the Pats traded up for this guy. He may be getting lost in the shuffle of the fancy fast guys. If he drops to the late first early second I would love to see the Pats work some magic to grab him.
Projected Career Arc: Terrell Suggs

Garrett
Stat wise he'll get his 10+ a year but not sure he'll be the leader/captain of a playoff defense. He doesn't have the savvy, football intellect, nastiness of McGinest. In his play he doesn't seem like a very smart football player. I know he did great on the Wonderlic, but it doesn't translate to the field. He has a lack of creativity out there. He doesn't know how to set anyone up, he just does the same thing over and over and sometimes it works. His personality is flakey. He'll do well in the league and get stats, go to the Pro Bowl but I don't think he'll make big plays in big 4th quarters. Kind of like Mario Williams in terms of career arc.
Projected Career Arc: Mario Williams

Barnett
Sorry I see a JAG. He reminds me of that guy out of Tennessee drafted 5 years ago who Lombardi also loved. I think McDaniels drafted him in Denver, who was also a JAG. What was his name? Oh yeah Robert Ayers. He has no length, doesn't win with athleticism. I am truly surprised at the hype.
Projected Careeer Arc: Robert Ayers

Thomas
He's too stiff to be an edge rusher, no bend. Not very long. He's not as fluid or smart as Trey Flowers. He got totally dominated in one game I saw, it was shocking. Maybe USC. But he seems like a great teammate, great effort and motor, a try hard guy. I think he's a tweener, good college player, solid spot starter and good depth in NFL. Not a pro Bowler. Hmmm Career Arc...
Projected Career Arc: Jeremy Mincey (Jacksonville version)

Tanoh Passagnon
This guy is interesting. Remember our Marquise Hill out of LSU who tragically passed? He was so tall he got pushed around, couldn't keep his balance. Passagnon also gets manipulated because his base is so narrow, but there is still a lot to like. He shows great effort against double teams and seems to really enjoy the game and his teammates. His length alone is a great asset to a defense. Reminds me a bit of Kiwanuka, who I wish had the nasty edge to take the DE spot from that faker for the NYG Umenyiorah, instead he was so polite and such a great teammate he let his talent languish at LB and on the bench so as not to upset Umenyiorah's ego and compromise team chemistry. That was Kiwi's flaw, he was so damn polite and wasted his talent. Passagnon also seems like a polite guy, I just hope he's not too polite.
Projected Career Arc: Kiwanuka

Harris etc.
The other guys to me just look like 3-4 OLBs who need to run around people to rush the passer, which honestly is hard to take seriously and hard to evaluate. Harris, Watt and the rest of them, if they get into good situations with good coaching and good supporting casts, where pass-rushing OLB play is featured, they'll succeed, make a few probowls even, but their career arcs are very situation dependent. Nobody really pops with all-pro talent.

Last edited:
Wow super break downs. I'll watch more of Barnett, hopefully I'm wrong.

Wow super break downs. I'll watch more of Barnett, hopefully I'm wrong.

Thanks! I don't actually have Barnett's breakdown in my thread, yet, because I was largely avoiding guys who I didn't think would be available at 32 (I started the project back when all was well with the world and we had a 1st round pick, haha). I do have a writeup of Barnett somewhere, though, if I can find it . . . give me a few minutes.

Here's a quick link @PonyExpress to some pictures and a quick paragraph of info. I'll try to do a longer form breakdown on him before tomorrow night, since he's really one of my favorite players to watch. He has some speed limitations, but he's so coordinated and smooth at actually moving, and very skilled with his hands.

2017 Draft Prospect Thread

Last edited:

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back