PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking for myself, the fact that he is coming back from a broken bone in his foot after almost 2 months when normally it's a 3-5 month healing process is concern #1. Concern #2 is the cutting,planting and weight shifting to that bone. Concern #3 is JE being tackled and him carrying 200 additional pounds on his body and that foot.

Real happy he is moving around but it's not an actual game.

By that metric he can hurt anything. Hell, look at the play he did he hurt on. Other than number 1 anything can happen in any NFL game. It's also awfully close to that 3 month timeframe and who knows how he healed.

Also, why does Gronk still wear that arm brace? Same deal. Healed just why wouldn't you wear it?

Glad to just have him playing in any capacity. He will make plays. move chains and make everyone else better in passing game especially seam routes for Gronk.

It's everything. TB will be like a kid in a candy store. Kansas Ciry hasn't seen playoff Tom before. The trickle down effect coverage-wise makes every receiver better. Amendola will get the 3 or 4 CB. Take that matchup everyday.

I think we'll see a ton more Jackson this game. Run D is the Chiefs weaknesses on that side of the ball. Not that it's a terrible run defense, but they are below league average in YPC allowed. I think they'll get some use out of SJax this week.

Remember a few years back when we would consistently help below average QBs look like superstar passers? We now make below-average run defenses look like brick walls of death, so I don't see us doing a lot with the run.

Speaking for myself, the fact that he is coming back from a broken bone in his foot after almost 2 months when normally it's a 3-5 month healing process is concern #1. Concern #2 is the cutting,planting and weight shifting to that bone. Concern #3 is JE being tackled and him carrying 200 additional pounds on his body and that foot. He still has the screw in there and those bad boys can become dislodged if pressure hits the right spot.

Real happy he is moving around but it's not an actual game.

Wow RW, who ate your avocado ice cream?

It's everything. TB will be like a kid in a candy store. Kansas Ciry hasn't seen playoff Tom before. The trickle down effect coverage-wise makes every receiver better. Amendola will get the 3 or 4 CB. Take that matchup everyday.

Agreed! This isn't a regular season 4th game like last year's Monday Night Blow Out at KC, however it was exactly what Pats needed as we know how last year ended for us.
Yes there are answers that remain to be seen but at Gillette, Playoff Game against a team that hasn't been there in years and are pretty much can be one dimensional on Offense with their injury to Maclin. Our Def is no slouch and really good at taking away opposing TEs (Kelce)

So they're saying they are going to be inserting a steel plate in his shoe to prevent flexing. Can anyone speak to this? I'm picturing him running around out there with one foot unable to flex. Like a pegleg or frankenstein monster or something, or Herman Munster.

I am hearing that KC is petitioning the league to require him to wear one of these steel plates:

Alloy-Structural-Steel-Plate.jpg

By that metric he can hurt anything. Hell, look at the play he did he hurt on. Other than number 1 anything can happen in any NFL game.

Thats not fair. He is playing on a bone that is still fractured.

It's also awfully close to that 3 month timeframe and who knows how he healed.

The fact that he still has the screw in it and is wearing a protective metal brace tells me it is not 100% healed. It could be a 1% chance of a refracture. If thats the case then great.

IAlso, why does Gronk still wear that arm brace? Same deal. Healed just why wouldn't you wear it?

As I understand it, he had an antibiotic-resistant infection that slightly compromised the bone in his arm. For you and I, no biggie. For him...one wack on the same spot with the strength these players have could rebreak the arm and cause the infection to reappear.

Wow RW, who ate your avocado ice cream?

I know I'm being skiddish over this thing.

Just chiming in with my concerns. Hope its all much to do about nothing.

In theory- providing the Pats medical staff is genuinely interested in his well-being he should be fine.

BTW from researching online, it looks like Edelman is may be going to have a carbon graphite insert over an actual steel plate. It looks like a regular insert that you can buy at any pharmacy just a lot more rigid to provide support.

I am no doctor and I am only guessing, but when I did a search for "steel plate jones fracture", that is what came up. Here are a few examples:

w_1_0001254_carbon-graphite-shoe-plate-flat.jpeg

w_1_0001948_spring-plate-carbongraphite-fiber-insole.jpeg

I'm curious as to why people think the plate will be in the bottom of the show and not over the top of it.. Edelman's foot was broken from someone stepping on it. Usually, if you want to protect something like that, you put something over it, not under it.. Putting it in the sole would make it more likely to be re-broken if stepped on, imho..

BTW from researching online, it looks like Edelman is may be going to have a carbon graphite insert over an actual steel plate. It looks like a regular insert that you can buy at any pharmacy just a lot more rigid to provide support.

I am no doctor and I am only guessing, but when I did a search for "steel plate jones fracture", that is what came up. Here are a few examples:

w_1_0001254_carbon-graphite-shoe-plate-flat.jpeg

w_1_0001948_spring-plate-carbongraphite-fiber-insole.jpeg

I doubt he's getting his from Walgreens. ;)

If all the players wore steel plates, they could pay on a magnetized field. That way, the coach could just arrange them and make them do what they want. Almost as if they were on a table. :p

I'm curious as to why people think the plate will be in the bottom of the show and not over the top of it.. Edelman's foot was broken from someone stepping on it. Usually, if you want to protect something like that, you put something over it, not under it.. Putting it in the sole would make it more likely to be re-broken if stepped on, imho..

good point

where is the break/screw exactly?

you could plate below the arch or above the ridge, I just wonder if on top, how it plays into the flexing of the foot...i could see it hurting quite a bit if it flexes too hard

Good point. Based on where the Jones Fracture is, might make sense for both top and bottom?

You can see the Jones Fracture location down the pinkie toe row of bones.

fifthmetafinalillus1.jpg

Thats not fair. He is playing on a bone that is still fractured.

How do you know it's still fractured? People heal at different rates..

The fact that he still has the screw in it and is wearing a protective metal brace tells me it is not 100% healed. It could be a 1% chance of a refracture. If thats the case then great.

Once they put the screw in, they generally don't take them out.
Wearing a protective insert (not a brace) doesn't mean anything but they are trying to assure that it doesn't get injured again. It's no different from the fact that Brady still wears his brace on his knee, the O-Linemen wearing the braces on their legs knees.

Good point. Based on where the Jones Fracture is, might make sense for both top and bottom?

You can see the Jones Fracture location down the pinkie toe row of bones.

View attachment 11854

from the image, a reinforced arch that curves around the outside of the foot 100-110 degrees would seem most effective......

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST