PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman national HOF discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edelman won MVP tonight. and had huge games with clutch plays in both previous wins vs seattle and atlanta.

he's breaking post season records for WR. he absolutely belongs in canton. one could argue that this 2nd dynasty is in large part thanks to the emergence of edelman, and hes even more important than gronk

No. His career regular season stats, whether over time or at their height, compare unfavorably to guys like Terry Glenn, Joey Galloway, Stevie Johnson, and Keenan McCardell. Guys who have no shot of ever getting in. Welker is a longshot and he was a better player.

Think about all the receivers he'll be competing against who will be up after he retires: Torry Holt, Hines Ward, Reggie Wayne, Steve Smith, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Brandon Marshall, AJ Green, Wes Welker, Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, Jordy Nelson, Demaryius Thomas, eventually Julio Jones and TY Hilton. Not all of those guys will get in, and - homer goggles off - is there any of those you wouldn't have traded for Edelman straight up at their height?

Edelman's been a tremendous player and truly clutch in the playoffs but playoff stats simply mean little to voters except for quarterbacks. And Edelman also doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame. He's not an all-time great. He's never been among the 5 best WRs in the league. He's not Randy Moss, he's not Jerry Rice, he's not even near Cris Carter or Andre Reed. Cliff Branch has far better regular season stats, All Pros, three rings, comparable playoff stats, and was only a semifinalist twice and has no chance of ever getting in. Edelman has no chance.

But he is an all-time great Patriot. He'll get that red jacket and deserve every thread in it. We'll never forget him.

Only Hall of Famers from this era of the Patriots are Brady, Belichick, Gronk, and (insofar as he counts) Revis. Slater will be a semifinalist or whatever as they nod to special teams mattering but never sniff a finalist bid, just like Tasker. It's a while out but White could sniff it too. Lots of truly memorable players for all of us though. But let's be honest, the lack of the Hall of Fame or even All Pro caliber players beyond the QB and coach hint at just how great Brady and Belichick have been.
************, anyone who would bring up Terry ****ing Glen in this conversation!.

************, anyone who would bring up Terry ****ing Glen in this conversation!.

His regular season statistics are comparable to Edelman's. He had several seasons over 1000 yards and 5+ TDs. Edelman has one.

Before last night I was firmly in the "no" camp.

His post season performances (which is why you play the game) are making me rethink my position.

I don't think much changed in his case to be honest.

He put himself into a position now to get that ProBowl ticket next year with that added exposure of a SB MVP title if he has another big season. If he can add another huge postseason with a second SB MVP on top of that he might be able to overcome the lack of regular season accolades.

But honestly his biggest problem will just be the logjam at WR. Unless the HoF changes the way it does things I just don't think the numbers will ever work out in his favor.

Hopefully he can have a couple more SB runs in him before he goes. Every game he has like this, in the most pressure packed games, makes me love him even more. The guy elicits the personality, resilience and tenacity that makes it impossible not to appreciate.

I think he has a great chance based on his postseason performances

I don't think he makes it : which makes me wonder "why even have a HoF" ? You play to win the game... not the September 24th game. THE game.

Probowls are as important as the stats to HOF voters. Edelman has none so no shot.
Actually, championships more so. If you ever get to Canton, check out the busts and the descriptions, there are a great deal of multiple champions. for every Marino and Kelly ( no rings) there are guys like Swann and Stallworth whose post season heroics got them in.. Not saying Edelman can get in but 3 rings bolsters his cause...

This was Edelman's best season -- if you prorate his numbers to 16 games -- they end up at 1133 yards, 8TDs

If he had 5 seasons like this, he'd be in the HOF discussion.

As this was a prorated season though, he's only had 2 seasons with more than 1000 yards. He's never had a season with 8+ TDs.

He's been reliable for a long time, but he's not there yet. Welker put up bigger numbers consistently, with more ppl to share the ball with.

I don't think he makes it : which makes me wonder "why even have a HoF" ? You play to win the game... not the September 24th game. THE game.

Because it is a team game and the HoF acknowledges the best of the best individuals. While the postseason adds hype in the end those are just another set of football games and don't erase what you have done over the length of the previous 16-18 weeks.

Look I get that Edelman is a clutch player but he has not yet met the threshold to be considered a historic player. Add in a big season, a pro bowl ticket and another SB MVP and maybe he can be talked about from the angle of how "you can't tell the story of the NFL without mentioning him".

Because it is a team game and the HoF acknowledges the best of the best individuals. While the postseason adds hype in the end those are just another set of football games and don't erase what you have done over the length of the previous 16-18 weeks.

Look I get that Edelman is a clutch player but he has not yet met the threshold to be considered a historic player. Add in a big season, a pro bowl ticket and another SB MVP and maybe he can be talked about from the angle of how "you can't tell the story of the NFL without mentioning him".
I agree with you : he won't make it.

What is the diffence between he and Swann ? Both VG regular season players with amazing SB wins.

I don't think much changed in his case to be honest.

He put himself into a position now to get that ProBowl ticket next year with that added exposure of a SB MVP title if he has another big season. If he can add another huge postseason with a second SB MVP on top of that he might be able to overcome the lack of regular season accolades.

But honestly his biggest problem will just be the logjam at WR. Unless the HoF changes the way it does things I just don't think the numbers will ever work out in his favor.
Yea, see....I think he already has.

What is the diffence between he and Swann ? Both VG regular season players with amazing SB wins.

The logjam of players ahead of him with new ones becoming eligible every year in a league that is getting more pass friendly every season. Well that and 3 APs if I recall correctly.

If there ever is a lull in terms of players for whatever reason and some of the backlog of deserving ones gets cleared he has a shot.

On the one hand he doesn't have the volume stats the voters love and there is the previously noted log jam at receiver. On the other their is the precedent of Swann and Stallworth neither of who were regular season heroes. More recently Art Monk.

His regular season statistics are comparable to Edelman's. He had several seasons over 1000 yards and 5+ TDs. Edelman has one.
And Edelman has the second most catches and yards in postseason history and a SB MVP.
Edelman also has TWO 1000+ seasons, and 3 others that would have easily been over 1000 if he'd played the entire year. And 3 seasons of 6+ TDs, 1 less than Glenn in 3 fewer seasons.

More importantly, he's a game changer. From the slot no less. Glenn was a shiny hood ornament that Parcells managed to drag to one SB. His rookie year. He never had another season as good as that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST