PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman national HOF discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s one game. Championship. Welker or Edelman. You’re a damn fool not to pick Edelman every time.

That’s all I need to know.

The totality of a career is what counts, IMHO. And in the games with the toughest competition on the biggest stages with the most online, how can those performances not matter as much if not more than what numbers you put up against the Jets?

And if the argument is, some players don't get to the playoffs so it isn't a fair comparison? Every team has a different coach, different QB, different GM and OCs, different philosophy and scheme, different competition, different depth at the position/other potent receiving targets, different freak injury occurrences, etc. There's no way to be "fair" except, imho, what you did over your career in all reg. and post season games.

Won’t happen, he’ll be in the Pats Hall of Fame for sure. Zero pro bowl selections and all pros.

But, I guess if Hines Ward is under consideration..

Nobody love Jules more than me but he's no match to Hines Wards in his day. That said I hope they extend him and make him go out with Brady.

I'd say no, right now, but there is precedent.
Lynn Swann is in because of his post season stuff. Regular season he is similar.

Lynn Swann stats

Edelman stats

Swann lead the league once in TDs and once in punt return TDs. If Edelman ever leads the league in anything (except fumbles recovered :) )...

Ian please merge if I missed another thread.

You know, part of me initially said no, just because this greatness is just Brady. You could replace Jules with WW or Amendola or Troy Brown.

But in looking at those comparisons, I think you might be on to something. His excellence in the post-season should count for something.

I love 11 just like most on this page. Pats HOF yea 10000%.. NFL HOF not sure about that

No sense in discounting the postseason when that point of the game is ... to win championships. If some don’t get there, so what.

No one has a great definition of what makes a Hall of Fame player. That's why they have the nominating/voting procedure, because if it were purely about stats, it would be simple to figure out who gets in, right?

If it's purely about stats, Edelman obviously doesn't make it. He's like, half of an Antonio Brown.

To me this is why the Hall of Fame discussion is fun, in a similar vein to the MVP award. What makes an MVP? Is it the established 'best QB of X year' formula? Or do we really try to figure out what makes a player valuable to a team, in terms of 'if they were replaced with an average player, how much does the team suffer'? And with the Hall of Fame, why should it just be stats?

I think the way he has performed on the sport's biggest stages should count for something. The guy is famous for playing football, and not just because of one or two games. He was crucial to getting to the 2014 Super Bowl, and then crucial for winning it. His efforts on defense in 2011 weren't necessarily huge, but give a shot in the arm to the 'willing to do whatever it takes for his team' argument. His heroics in the 2016 Super Bowl are well-documented. The Patriots can't win the big game the year he's injured. And then what he's done this year...

Do I think he's a HoF inductee when his career is over? Unfortunately probably not, but I think it's pretty awesome that he seems a lot closer to being considered than most people think he has any right to be, and if he can put together another season or two of great play (not guaranteed at all given his age and body type), he could actually sneak in.

The host of NFL Netork’s “Power Rankings” just said their poll showed 62% that voted said no.

The host even said “I bet even Julian would say no if you asked him”

Hmmmm....I wonder if he would

No All Pro, no Pro Bowls. He's done some amazing things, but he's never been one of the NFL's top receivers. In any year. That's why this is an obvious "sorry, no".

Yes, there are arguments you can make for him as well. One of my favorite players. But he doesn't even pass the first test for a HOF player - the best or one of the top few at his position for a few years of his career. Couldn't even get on the field as a wide receiver for the first 3 or 4 years as he was behind another player who is not in the HOF nor considered a strong candidate for the HOF.

Still love him. Huge difference maker. Lots of wide receivers I'd put in the HOF before him.

Folks seem to want a HOF for play in Super Bowls. That seems reasonable. However, the current HOF is NOT about post season play.

There may be players in the HALL who almost never played in the playoffs.

There may even be quarterbacks who didn't play well in playoffs.

Well he's in the Patriots hall of fame for sure, he's 3 time superbowl champion, 1 sb mvp and much better than Wess Welker.

I heard a good argument. An idiot is arguing for Eli Manning for HOF. The reply was make an argument without post season or tell me why not Edelman. :)

I heard a good argument. An idiot is arguing for Eli Manning for HOF. The reply was make an argument without post season or tell me why not Edelman. :)

Manning Inc. + NY Market

FWIW, if you're going to make the argument that JE is a HOFer based on his post-season play, then so is Dont'a Hightower, because I don't think the Patriots win SB 49, 51, or 53 without him.

He won't make the hall of fame. Just doesn't have the numbers or accolades. Him being a Patriot won't help either.

I've seen the comparisons between him and Welker. But two plays define both of these players tenures with the Pats. For Welker, it was being unable to reel in that catch in SB 46. Easy catch? Nope. But one he made throughout his career. For Edelman, it's not the catch against Atlanta (Though that's memorable). Instead, it's the 3rd & 15 catch against Seattle. To make that play, while getting crunched in the head, was very impressive. The Patriots were down 24-14 at that point. If he drops it, they either punt (Decreasing their odds of winning). Or they go for it (Chances of converting a 4th & 15 against that D weren't high). A failed conversion pretty much ends their chances of winning the game.

BTW records I didn't realize JE11 held:

Playoff career punt returns: 39, second is a tie at 34 between Brian Mitchell and Dave Meggett.

Playoff career punt yards: 443, second is Brian Mitchell 339

Mitchell owns all of the regular season records for punt returns. Interestingly in the playoffs Mitchell is a 9.97/ypr and JE11 11.36.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back