PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman Injury Seems to Now Be Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pats actually have a lot of guys who can contribute on the edge. While none of the alternative behind Solder/Cannon are great, I'd still go for a safety.

Behind McCourty, Chung and Harmon, we've got .... who?

Richards?
Travis, David Jones, Jason Thompson?

Does anyone really see a viable replacement for any of the three starters there?

While I agree the interesting question is how many layers deep can you go with replacements on the 53, though ?

On some level you have DMac and Harmon as deep safeties and then Chung and maybe Ebner as the two strong safeties.

Been thinking about that while watching the later quarters myself. He is pretty versatile in his college history. Definitely a way to keep him around.

Carr and Foster are nearly identical in size and testing numbers. Foster seems to me to have shown more consistency through these three pre-season games than Carr Foster also is in his second Camp with an entire season (minus six days) on the 53-man.

One wild consideration is that the Pats could keep both Carr and Foster if Brissett goes. While Brissett certainly has value for 2018 if/when JG goes away, the value equations that seem to suggest keeping him have changed with Edelman's loss, I think

The sad thing is you know a lot of Patriot haters are cheering this injury.

That's ok.

I hope they do.

Adversity can be great if channeled the right way.

This isn't a "good" thing by any means but this team is more than capable of overcoming this.

While I agree the interesting question is how many layers deep can you go with replacements on the 53, though ?

On some level you have DMac and Harmon as deep safeties and then Chung and maybe Ebner as the two strong safeties.
"Maybe" Ebner. Might be a bit of a stretch, though, especially if Slater goes to IR since Ebner is effectively the ST Captain in Slater's absence.

Carr and Foster are nearly identical in size and testing numbers. Foster seems to me to have shown more consistency through these three pre-season games than Carr Foster also is in his second Camp with an entire season (minus six days) on the 53-man.

One wild consideration is that the Pats could keep both Carr and Foster if Brissett goes. While Brissett certainly has value for 2018 if/when JG goes away, the value equations that seem to suggest keeping him have changed with Edelman's loss, I think

That year of development that Foster has on Carr is huge though, not only physically (strength & conditioning) but also in terms of understanding the offense and knowing what is ahead.

Personally, I think they can smuggle Carr onto the PS. I am not sure if he is that much of a known player outside the NE media bubble. I suppose the Texans would be a team to watch out for given the joint practices. I would rather try to move him onto the PS than try to smuggle JB there. He won a legitimate NFL football game and has been a QB in NE. There is no way a bottom feeder wouldnt snag him up just for the chance.

"Maybe" Ebner. Might be a bit of a stretch, though, especially if Slater goes to IR since Ebner is effectively the ST Captain in Slater's absence.

I know. Unfortunately he still seems to be the best of the scrap heap that is strong safety depth.

I know. Unfortunately he still seems to be the best of the scrap heap that is strong safety depth.

My concern is partly due to CB not being all that much better, depth-wise.

Behind Butler, Gilmore and Rowe, the "best" guys are Cy Jones, Coleman and Jon Jones (possibly Moore).

When you're relying on 5 DBs for nearly every play, with the 5th DB alternating between CB and Safety situationally, and then playing 6 DBs on a significant percentage of the snaps, it seems to me that you need a 4th guy/reserve for each position who's pretty decent. Otherwise, a couple injuries and you're kinda screwed, scheme-wise.

That year of development that Foster has on Carr is huge though, not only physically (strength & conditioning) but also in terms of understanding the offense and knowing what is ahead.

Personally, I think they can smuggle Carr onto the PS. I am not sure if he is that much of a known player outside the NE media bubble. I suppose the Texans would be a team to watch out for given the joint practices. I would rather try to move him onto the PS than try to smuggle JB there. He won a legitimate NFL football game and has been a QB in NE. There is no way a bottom feeder wouldnt snag him up just for the chance.

Just my opinion, but I think that, even WITH a healthy Edelman, Brissett's 2017 value is extremely limited, and that his primary value is in 2018. With a major passing target now (apparently) gone for the season, Brissett's roster spot may have become more valuable if devoted to alternative passing targets.

My concern is partly due to CB not being all that much better, depth-wise.

Behind Butler, Gilmore and Rowe, the "best" guys are Cy Jones, Coleman and Jon Jones (possibly Moore).

When you're relying on 5 DBs for nearly every play, with the 5th DB alternating between CB and Safety situationally, and then playing 6 DBs on a significant percentage of the snaps, it seems to me that you need a 4th guy/reserve for each position who's pretty decent. Otherwise, a couple injuries and you're kinda screwed, scheme-wise.

This is where the decisions last year to take Coleman over LeBlanc and letting KGH get away really end up being an issue. Not that I am blaming anyone because those were not outrageous decisions but in hindsight that could have been pretty nice depth.

Just my opinion, but I think that, even WITH a healthy Edelman, Brissett's 2017 value is extremely limited, and that his primary value is in 2018. With a major passing target now (apparently) gone for the season, Brissett's roster spot may have become more valuable if devoted to alternative passing targets.

Would you risk anyone snagging him up, though ? And giving him a case of the foxboro flu is also dangerous unless you keep one of the designated spots open for him specifically because if Brady or JG sustain an injury then anyone coming of the street wont be as good as JB with respect to the system.

I think where losing Edelman shows up is the Vulcan mind meld that Brady and Edelman have together.
Each knows what the other is thinking where to place a ball how quick to come back or break on a route and his fiery competitiveness can't be overstated enough that break their neck when their down viciousness that he won't back down to any player regardless of size.
No player on the roster is replacing all that.
The poster who said he is one of the players on O we couldn't afford to lose is absolutely right.
Austin Carr can run routes has hands what he doesn't have is the trust of Brady he doesn't seem to have a mean streak or that fire in Edelmans eyes.
They need to have Carr on the field with Brady running the Edelman routes and see what the results are in the next practices and preseason game.
If any coaching staff can brace for this it's the Patriots.
Any chance that the Rams would trade Tavon Austin on the cheap?
I know he disappointed so far but I feel he has a ton of untapped potential.
Chances are we use Admendola and Carr to replace the reps.
But lets see if it's even torn til we get official word it needs surgery maybe we see Jules back this season when we need him the most.
I think they use Burkhead in the slot.

Would you risk anyone snagging him up, though ? And giving him a case of the foxboro flu is also dangerous unless you keep one of the designated spots open for him specifically because if Brady or JG sustain an injury then anyone coming of the street wont be as good as JB with respect to the system.
Brisset sux

Actually His spot just became MORE SECURE.

JE could have been QB3. Now brissett imo is a lock to stick around

Is this confirmed?

Any chance it's mcl or pcl

This offense may need to go through an adjustment period in the first couple of weeks. Brady's first read on a lot of plays is Edelman. Whether that's changed with the arrival of Cooks, I can't profess to know. But going by how the passing attack has been run since 2013, Edelman's loss may force the passing attack to have to adjust. Of course, the Patriots have the depth to cover it more this year than in most other years. But don't be surprised if we see slow starts in the first couple of weeks until the offense finds its groove through the air.

The 2nd half of SB51 was your preview of how the Pats will deal without Edelman: more throws to the outside, use the RBs more in the passing game. Now it will be Gronk drawing attention between the hashes rather than JE to keep those outside routes single covered.

The Pats will find a way.

Regards,
Chris

What the hell is the hold up on the news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back