PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman and Amendola: we should cut ties with one of them

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you think that Thompkins and Dobkins are the answer AF wideout than go ahead and expect the same. The Pats will never win with poor wideouts like that. Tate, Lloyd, Johnson, Thompkins, and Dobson??? This team continues to have poor offensive performances in the post season mainly due to Brady not having any targets to stretch the field and make big plays on the outside. Thompkins and Dobkins have very little upside.

I think that's a bit of an unfair analysis. Just because guys like Tate failed means guys like Dobson will fail as well? Dobson and Thompkins showed way more upside as rookies than any other receivers we've drafted in the past several years.

Re-signing Edelman should be a must. Brady had one reliable receiver in Welker and they let him get away. Hope they dont make the same mistake twice.

If you think that Thompkins and Dobkins are the answer AF wideout than go ahead and expect the same. The Pats will never win with poor wideouts like that. Tate, Lloyd, Johnson, Thompkins, and Dobson??? This team continues to have poor offensive performances in the post season mainly due to Brady not having any targets to stretch the field and make big plays on the outside. Thompkins and Dobkins have very little upside.

Troll says what

So you mean he was dominant against Buffalo, but wasn't after he tore his groin?

What good is a player that is dominant once a season? That's pretty much his MO. He's never been healthy his entire career. His durability isnt going to suddenly change.

In theory I like the guy, but the the fact that we got our self into a situation where we may have to keep him over Edelman due to his contract sucks.

I'm glad that we have already decided that Dobson and Thompkins are poor wideouts even after Dobson had the best rookie WR season in the Brady era including Branch. Dobson looks to be on a trend to being a good WR. He was really hitting his stride before he broke his foot with a stress fracture.

And most rookie WRs around the league struggle their rookie season. Look at Branch's rookie season (43 receptions for 489 yards and 2 TDs) or David Givens (9 receptions for 92 yards and 1 TD) vs. Dobson's (37 catches for 519 yards and 4 TDs) and Thompkins (32 catches for 422 yards and 4 TDs).

So the Dobson/Thompkins combo are already on pace for a better combo than Branch/Givens were. No way to tell if they will be, but to write either guy off at this point is stupid.

Both Dobson and Thompkins have quite a bit of upside. The improvement of Dobson week after week prior to his injury was remarkable. If he continues that progression next year, he has a shot at being a breakout player.

Chad Jackson is this close to getting the playbook... I swear to God this is the year... :) And what's Hart Lee Dykes doing these days...

J/k. I await months of personnel conversations, draftniks and F/A analysts galore. I like reading them.

historically the Pats have done best getting WRs from other teams rather than projecting from college to pro performance. I say this only because when I say anything about the Pats, the next year something happens to make me look like an idiot. By saying this I guarantee the unlikely use of a lowish draft pick to get the best wide receiver in the NFL for the next 10 years.

Wow. What a terrible post.

Actually I sort of agree. Even the 'deep threats' the Pats draft are lacking in physicality. If you look at the Chad Jackson's, Tate, Price, Dobson, etc they're all similar 6 - 6'3 guys weighing in 200 - 210.

Obviously the 6'3+ 225+ guys who run decent 40s are usually out of draft reach so I'm not sure what can be done.

Actually I sort of agree. Even the 'deep threats' the Pats draft are lacking in physicality. If you look at the Chad Jackson's, Tate, Price, Dobson, etc they're all similar 6 - 6'3 guys weighing in 200 - 210.

Obviously the 6'3+ 225+ guys who run decent 40s are usually out of draft reach so I'm not sure what can be done.

Pretty sure that's what Gronk is intended to be. Why are we hung up on physical deep threats when, let's be honest, that ain't Brady's forte. Honestly I think this WR debate misses the point. To my mind, the biggest weakness was a lack of any threat whatsoever from the TE position.

And maybe I should of been more clear: I was referring to him throwing in the towel on Dobson and KT. Then again, what else do you expect from a poster who only shows up when things go south?

Personally, I'd like to see a top TE drafted, and one of these two signed: Kenny Britt or Hakeem Nicks.

I'd take Britt over Nicks.

This is the receiving core I'd like to see next year:

Dobson, Edelman and Britt starting
Amendola, Thompkins and Boyce as backups

Given the way Patriots WR suffer from injuries so often, I think they have to keep 6.

I don't draft a WR, there's no point in that, especially when they need help on D (pass rusher) and OL as well as TE. But I'd love to see the likes of Kenny Britt sign on in New England.

I didn't read through the thread and I'm not about to think logically about this situation. If they let go of Edelman I'll be pretty upset, the guy showed us this year he's an amazing player with ridiculous heart and soul. No way I want him to walk.

Personally, I'd like to see a top TE drafted, and one of these two signed: Kenny Britt or Hakeem Nicks.

Given the way Patriots WR suffer from injuries so often, I think they have to keep 6.

I don't draft a WR, there's no point in that, especially when they need help on D (pass rusher) and OL as well as TE. But I'd love to see the likes of Kenny Britt sign on in New England.

God, why? Britt is a crappy WR with a two-cent head.

Deep threats are overrated. Look at the Broncos. They really didn't have a strong deep threat this year (mostly because Manning doesn't have the arm strength). Manning only had 13 pass attempts of over 30 yards and only completed on 8 of them. In fact, Manning only completed 18 passes from 21-30 yards. And they had the best statistical passing offense in NFL history and are going to the Super Bowl.

I don't think the Pats need that big down the field threat.

Boyce was a more productive player than Britt was this season. Let that sink in. Britt is in contention for the title of worst WR in the NFL this season. One source I found has him at 4 drops on 15 catchable balls, another has him with 7 drops on 18. Either way, that's simply pathetic. He can't get open either, thanks to that knee injury a few seasons ago. At this point, he's a guy who can't get open, can't catch, and has an inflated sense of self worth as a player. You list him as one of the top 3 receivers, which is ridiculous. He's not a better player than any of those "backups."

I think it should be Amendola, but I understand $$$ would play a huge factor here, especially since Edelman is now a FA and Amendola's under a 5 year contract. How tied up are we moneywise to Amendola?? Anyone think he's a trade option? I would much rather keep around Edelman than Amendola, keeping both of them kinda restricts our offense. We need more big play explosiveness, just like we were saying last year.... and every year it seems. :bricks:

Before posting a thread with such an easily known answer try looking at the Salary cap page first and you can save everyone's time by realizing that the Pats are hamstrung by Amendola's contract.

Before posting a thread with such an easily known answer try looking at the Salary cap page first and you can save everyone's time by realizing that the Pats are hamstrung by Amendola's contract.

For 2014, yes, but not beyond.

As I've pointed out before, if all their other WRs are on rookie contracts, they can afford $5M for both Edelman and Amendola for another year or two.

Pardon Aaron Hernandez and send two 1st round picks to Denvah for Welkah.

Boyce was a more productive player than Britt was this season. Let that sink in. Britt is in contention for the title of worst WR in the NFL this season. One source I found has him at 4 drops on 15 catchable balls, another has him with 7 drops on 18. Either way, that's simply pathetic. He can't get open either, thanks to that knee injury a few seasons ago. At this point, he's a guy who can't get open, can't catch, and has an inflated sense of self worth as a player. You list him as one of the top 3 receivers, which is ridiculous. He's not a better player than any of those "backups."

Britt was a playmaker in his early career. I think a lot of the guys problems can be chalked up to EFFORT. I don't think Britt was actually trying this season when he was benched from pretty much Day 1 of the season behind rookies.

Bring him in on a minimum contract and get BB to motivate him. If he gets cut from here, his career is over. I think he can still be a productive receiver, just needs to be given the opportunity and be around success. Maybe that will motivate him. If not, like I said cut him and there is no risk and no loss.

Britt was a playmaker in his early career. I think a lot of the guys problems can be chalked up to EFFORT. I don't think Britt was actually trying this season when he was benched from pretty much Day 1 of the season behind rookies.

Bring him in on a minimum contract and get BB to motivate him. If he gets cut from here, his career is over. I think he can still be a productive receiver, just needs to be given the opportunity and be around success. Maybe that will motivate him. If not, like I said cut him and there is no risk and no loss.

And there's nothing about Britt's character to suggest he's willing to give the necessary effort.

It's not just effort issues. He's not the same guy physically anymore and hasn't been since he tore his ACL in 2011. He's essentially a big body right now and nothing more. Even if you assume his hands improve with effort, is he supposed to be better physically three years after a torn ACL than he was two years after? It seems like we're past the point of further recovery. I see no reason to believe anything other than that he is what he is right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents