PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ealy and Flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flowers was a grateful surprise. And his best games came in the later part of the season, which is huge for a young player.

I could easily foresee it a 10+ sacks season next year.

I'll wait before predicting anything over Ealy.

There are not an awful lot of flaws in this team right now. I think the Patriots actually are better built now than they were in 2007. In 2007 it was Brady to Moss -- a hell of a trick, but still only one trick. We have such a balanced and deep stable of weapons, most of them have Superbowl experience, and several of them have more than 1 Superbowl under their belts. This team just keeps getting better

We don't even need one but if we can add a good heavy power back to the mix I don't think this team will have any real holes. BB has given himself the personnel to run nearly any play he can think of. I am super duper excited to see what he pulls out of his hat this year.

Not going to get excited about Ealy playing well in one game, even if it was the Super Bowl. I'm excited about Flowers not because of one game, but because he got better as the season went on AND didn't back down once the games got bigger. Hopefully Ealy will pan out but I'm kinda expecting another Jermaine Cunningham.

Have 5.5 sacks combined between the two in the big game, along with an INT.

Better watch out if these two are in the SB next year. They know how to perform in the big games.

Since Hightower is back aren't you going to change your avatar back?

All I have ever seen where I noticed him is the SB and that was impressive.

I like his size, age and contract. We get bigger and younger with Ealy. The contract is very cheap and he is playing for his big pay day. Both he and the team will work to see that happen. I think based on his past success, age, motivation and being in the Patriots system he will have his most successful year, with the caveat that injuries are common but unpredictable. Then the Patriots will either let him go in FA for the comp pick offset or sign him.

Really like how we have gotten bigger on the DL.

Ealy/Guy/Flowers/Ninkovich might be a better pass rush line than we had last year

Not going to get excited about Ealy playing well in one game, even if it was the Super Bowl. I'm excited about Flowers not because of one game, but because he got better as the season went on AND didn't back down once the games got bigger. Hopefully Ealy will pan out but I'm kinda expecting another Jermaine Cunningham.

Cunningham was never going to be even a decent NFL player. Big difference

Just gonna put this here in regards to Ealy and Pats bringing in out of favor pass rushers the past 2 years

Why are you expecting that?

Why are you expecting that?

Because Panthers fans universally regard him as a bust, and he's a pass rusher drafted in the second round (they're different types of players though). He could be another Ayers or Van Noy (2nd round bust somewhere else, decent here), but I consider those situations bonuses rather than something to be expected.

Since Hightower is back aren't you going to change your avatar back?
Ahhh I forgot! Well looks like I avoided the jinx. :D

I'll get to it. I've kinda grown fond of this Ty Law one in the Bledsoe-era uni, though. Still the best uni of all time IMO. ;)

Because Panthers fans universally regard him as a bust, and he's a pass rusher drafted in the second round (they're different types of players though). He could be another Ayers or Van Noy (2nd round bust somewhere else, decent here), but I consider those situations bonuses rather than something to be expected.
I don't see how this guy is a bust. He has been a good rotational player who fits in very well with what we do. He is an upgrade over long/sheard.
Someone recently posted QB pressure #s for these 3 before coming here and Ely was far ahead of the other 2.
This guy will be a 500-600 snap player and will do a good job.
Plus he is not a "pass rusher" he is an all around player good vs the run.
Cunningham was out of position here after we changed the D. Ely fits an established and important role

Ahhh I forgot! Well looks like I avoided the jinx. :D

I'll get to it. I've kinda grown fond of this Ty Law one in the Bledsoe-era uni, though. Still the best uni of all time IMO. ;)
Now you've done it. Get ready for a 5000 word essay on the original uniforms.

???

You realize Cunningham had less career sacks than Ealy had his rookie season, correct?

That's a weak comparison.

I don't see how this guy is a bust. He has been a good rotational player who fits in very well with what we do. He is an upgrade over long/sheard.
Someone recently posted QB pressure #s for these 3 before coming here and Ely was far ahead of the other 2.
This guy will be a 500-600 snap player and will do a good job.
Plus he is not a "pass rusher" he is an all around player good vs the run.
Cunningham was out of position here after we changed the D. Ely fits an established and important role

You may very well be right, and Ealy was a much better prospect than Cunningham in the first place. I'm just tempering my expectations because when the news broke and I checked Panthers forums to see their reactions, they all were essentially saying "good riddance." This is what Lions fans were saying when we got Van Noy, so it's not necessarily a sign of anything, but if Ealy succeeds here I think it will count as a career turnaround.

Just gonna put this here in regards to Ealy and Pats bringing in out of favor pass rushers the past 2 years

If Ealy can have the same kind of progression, and also get the QB down once he's got his hands on him (something Sheard struggled with from time to time), then it would be a huge win for us.

Now you've done it. Get ready for a 5000 word essay on the original uniforms.

What makes you say I'm trying to do that? :rolleyes:

EDIT: Okay I can't do it, hopefully he didn't see that notification that I tagged him in this post. :cool:

Last edited:
???

You realize Cunningham had less career sacks than Ealy had his rookie season, correct?

That's a weak comparison.

They're different types of players who have both disappointed after being drafted in the 2nd round.

Ealy should be fine this year. Barring injury he should do no worse than Sheard's (disappointing) 2016. As of now, though, this is still a high priority in the draft with Ealy being a FA after this year. Barring an extension, that 8 pick drop looks like a nicely valued stopgap player to get us through this year while we have two rookies learning and developing for 2018.

the panthers defense had bigger problems......their secondary last year was the worst secondary anywhere in a very long time.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back