PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dungy: Brady 6th best QB since 1978

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shocking.gif

Norv Turner:

If Peyton Manning had New England's defenses, he would be at the top of this list and he would be 5-2 or 6-1 in Super Bowls.

Oh really? That's a very interesting insight by one of the most comical coaches in NFL history. I'm sure given seven Super Bowl games, Manning would have done just as well, if not better, than Brady.

Try this: If any quarterback in the NFL had played in the postseason for the 2006 Colts or the 2015 Broncos, they would have won the Super Bowl in each of those two seasons.

I love how the only "argument" they have remaining hinges on baseless hypotheticals.

Last edited:
Super Bowl Wins

Rodgers+Young+Elway = 4
Brady = 5

:confused:
Even beyond the Brady stuff, his thought process was very, very odd throughout. His top 3 were chosen specifically because they can/could run...
If being a mobile QB is so valuable in Dungy's (& others') eyes, then Brady's accomplishments and SB wins should only be that much more impressive to them, considering he did it all without even needing such an ability.

Last edited:
Here's the thing. You can pick a category or two out of the dozen or so that people generally use to rate quarterbacks and the apply those to "prove" a guy makes it or not. I heard Golic use the guy he'd want to start in a Superbowl to eliminate Brady. Dungy uses mobility. The problem is they ignore everything else.

“It can be tough to separate the great quarterback from the great coach,” Dungy said. “I don’t think Bill Belichick would be Bill Belichick without Tom Brady, and Brady would not have the same success without Belichick and the way they have put that team together.
So he's basically saying that if he was a better coach, Peyton would have been a better QB/won more games?

This is good - Brady always finds a way to covert someone's disrespect into a new Super Bowl ring

Well said. I'm sure his inbox is blown up right now. It's a good thing because this whole offseason has been a demonstration in Brady worship from virtually everyone on the planet. He absolutely needs to feel slighted and undervalued.

I just do not get why people rank Rodgers so high? One of the most overrated players in the league

How does a career 4:1 TD/Int ratio and a career 104.1 rating make for overrated?

Brady is at 3:1 / 97.2 (95 more games). Am I saying Rogers > Brady? Of course not. Beyond the stats are TB's ability to truly elevate those around him - overall he is the better QB. However, Rogers is no slouch and is far from overrated.

I just do not get why people are afraid to admit Rogers is one hell of a QB, and would be loved if he wore a Pats uniform.

How does a career 4:1 TD/Int ratio and a career 104.1 rating make for overrated?

Brady is at 3:1 / 97.2 (95 more games). Am I saying Rogers > Brady? Of course not. Beyond the stats are TB's ability to truly elevate those around him - overall he is the better QB. However, Rogers is no slouch and is far from overrated.

I just do not get why people are afraid to admit Rogers is one hell of a QB, and would be loved if he wore a Pats uniform.

Of course he's "one hell of a QB", nobody's going to argue with that.
But he's not yet in the GOAT discussion- and may never be.
There's only 2 QBs in that discussion- TB12 and Joe Cool. Period.For most non-Pats fans, Brady passed Montana after 2014. The few holdouts left went all in on TB after 2016. The vast majority of current and former players,coaches,execs plus knowledgeable fans and media all have TB #1, Montana #2.

Rodgers will have to maintain his level of play for a bunch more years AND win at least one more SB to be even considered with the top 2.
I'd put him right now in the top 10,ahead of manning,behind elway and young. Close to Marino. He's still got a ways to go.

"But he's not yet in the GOAT discussion- and may never be.
There's only 2 QBs in that discussion- TB12 and Joe Cool."

Never said he was - it was the "Overrated" comments that got me.

"The vast majority of current and former players,coaches,execs plus knowledgeable fans and media all have TB #1, Montana #2."

And? Who was disputing that?

"Rodgers will have to maintain his level of play for a bunch more years AND win at least one more SB to be even considered with the top 2.
I'd put him right now in the top 10,ahead of manning,behind elway and young. Close to Marino. He's still got a ways to go."

Opinion - it's ok, we all have them. Again, not questioning anything but the common reaction by Pats fans when the name Aaron Rogers comes up - like they are whistling past the graveyard.

Of course he's "one hell of a QB", nobody's going to argue with that.
But he's not yet in the GOAT discussion- and may never be.
There's only 2 QBs in that discussion- TB12 and Joe Cool. Period.For most non-Pats fans, Brady passed Montana after 2014. The few holdouts left went all in on TB after 2016. The vast majority of current and former players,coaches,execs plus knowledgeable fans and media all have TB #1, Montana #2.

Rodgers will have to maintain his level of play for a bunch more years AND win at least one more SB to be even considered with the top 2.
I'd put him right now in the top 10,ahead of manning,behind elway and young. Close to Marino. He's still got a ways to go.

Statistical domination gets overshadowed when the next generation surpasses it (since the elite QBs continue to get more passer friendly rules and learn from precious masters.). Steve Young retired with by far the highest QB rating in NFL history, and he was a better rusher than Rodgers as well. That hasn't done all that much to put him in the discussion of the GOAT. It did for a year or two, but no one remembers a lot outside of Super Bowls. The Super Bowl is the greatest sporting in the US. It's almost a national holiday.

I love how the only "argument" they have remaining hinges on baseless hypotheticals.
And that's what I'm talking about right there. People continue to try to find ways to discredit what Brady has done. It's always - he had a better D or he had a better OLine or it's the system or any other thing that Brady has continued to prove is not true. He had no receivers in 2006 and was one Reche Caldwell drop away from being in the SB. The D in 2011 was statistically the worse D to play in the league, but the Pats were one Wes Welker drop and one improbable catch away from being champs. The OLine in 2015 was abysmal and he came within two points of carrying that team to the SB. He's playing with a different OC every few years because he keeps being a big reason why they look good enough to get hired elsewhere. C'mon.

Aaron Rodgers has one more 4th quarter comeback in his career than Matt Cassell. Derek Carr already has 2 more. Matthew Stafford had 2 fewer than Rodgers' career total In 2016 Alone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick