PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Duke Dawson

State

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Should we bring back cornerback Duke Dawson, the 56th player taken in 2018 draft who never played a down for us and, currently, is a free agent? I believe he started a few games for Denver before being injured and ultimately released.

I obviously think bringing him in for a looksee makes a lot of sense.

There’s a news article out there that he was “ruined” by the harsh Patriot coaching style or something. I didn’t read it, which strikes me as clickbait. An unnamed source. Whatever.

Well, he is probably eye of the tiger hungry now. He needs a team—assuming he’s healthy enough—and we have a dire need for outside corners.

Maybe Chris Simms wasn’t wrong in his enthusiasm when we drafted him a couple of years ago.

I’m glad it’s not April 1, because some of you would think this is an April Fool’s joke. You think it’s worth kicking the tires on this player?

Should we bring back cornerback Duke Dawson, the 56th player taken in 2018 draft who never played a down for us and, currently, is a free agent? I believe he started a few games for Denver before being injured and ultimately released.

There’s a news article out there that he was “ruined” by the harsh Patriot coaching style or something. I didn’t read it, which strikes me as clickbait. An unnamed source. Whatever.

Well, he is probably eye of the tiger hungry now. He needs a team—assuming he’s healthy enough—and we have a dire need for outside corners.

Maybe Chris Simms wasn’t wrong in his enthusiasm when we drafted him a couple of years ago.

I’m glad it’s not April 1, because some of you would think this is an April Fool’s joke. You think it’s worth kicking the tires on this player?
Unless the results left the staff asking "WTF were we thinking?" then yes, they should have a look at him. Something peaked their desire to add him to the team.

At the time (when he was with the Pats) I didn’t think he was a bad player and felt part of the reason he was let go was because of too many DB’s ahead of him. A tryout can’t hurt.

How could you forget Gary Guyton?

He had the best seat in the house.. watching the game right from the field.
You sick ****:eek:

I'd literally turn into Michael when he didn't realize Toby was back lol

At least GG produced at an NFL level.

Can't say that about DD.

Also, Gary Guyton was an UDFA, compared to Dawson going in the 2nd round. Everything Guyton gave us was a bonus since he cost nothing but a roster spot.

Yes and also bring back I Ras Dowling and Shawn Crable
We all joke but I seriously wonder if these busts could come back healthy and actually produce sometimes. Crable's legs have to be bigger than tooth picks by now lol.

I remember Guyton doing his best Tony Eason as a linebacker impression and hitting the ground to avoid contact.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2

Im Not No Way GIF

Nope...

Last edited:
We don't do too well with Florida players as far as I can remember.

Was Guyton that bad? I remember getting non-stop pick-sixes with him on Madden back in the day

Was Guyton that bad? I remember getting non-stop pick-sixes with him on Madden back in the day
Guyton was fast and athletic but weak, good in coverage but a liability against the run.

UDFA Jon Jones turned into one of the better slot CB’s in the league, Duke wasn’t good enough… the decision to move on was an easy one. At least they got a little draft capital back in return for him.

Still better than Vernon Gholston.

do we need him if we can get jordan richards?
I'm genuinely incredulous the dude has lasted this long in the league. As a total fringe player, yes, but hey, he's beating out people for roster spots. I find it mind blowing honestly.

Guyton was fast and athletic but weak, good in coverage but a liability against the run.

UDFA Jon Jones turned into one of the better slot CB’s in the league, Duke wasn’t good enough… the decision to move on was an easy one. At least they got a little draft capital back in return for him.
Yeah that's kinda my fuzzy memory of him.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back