PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dugger 4 yr extension $58 mil

Definitely curious to see the details. What matters is the guarantees. His cap number in 2024 probably went down, so they in all likelihood gained cap space this year (not that they necessarily needed it). He’s an exceptional player when he has a real free safety backing him up. Hopefully they are able to acquire such a player in the next couple months. The core of this defense will be in pretty good shape overall long term once they extend Barmore.

I did not see the post but I do have a subscription, he has a 79.3 grade for the year which would be higher if not for the poor grade in 1 Q in Dallas. He has the highest of any Patriot, he would be 27th out of 141 in the NFL for the year if he maintained that play.

In addition he only played in 3 games and 1 quarter, and the poster here mentions "in his 5 games played"?

He was NOT the worst rated CB in PFF, not sure if there is some subset of the main metric but I see nothing indicating anything close to that?
I said it was 5. Apologies. Here’s the other thing though. That grade was based off of combinations of Tyreek Hill or Waddle, , AJ Brown or D Smith, Garret Wilson and C D Lamb. He never got a chance to blanket those numbers with lesser talented wrs’s on the schedule due to injury. I’m pretty sure everyone was ecstatic with him up until that point.

Sometimes I think Patsfans is just good for comedic relief rather than plain old football discussion. :rofl:

The schizophrenic, “chicken little” mentality of some posters here is hilarious…

“OMG we didn’t sign Calvin Ridley for a 4/100M contract…WE’RE DOOMED!” :eek:

“OMG we resigned Duggar (one of the few playmakers we have on this team) for what might be considered a slight overpay (still have to see the money breakdown)…WE’RE DOOMED!” :eek:

Never change Patsfans…never change :excited:

Last edited:
Sometimes I think Patsfans is just good for comedic relief rather than plain old football discussion. :rofl:

The schizophrenic, “chicken little” mentality of some posters here is hilarious…

“OMG we didn’t sign Calvin Ridley for a 4/100M contract…WE’RE DOOMED!” :eek:

“OMG we resigned Duggar (one of the few playmakers we have on this team) for what might be considered a slight overpay (still have to see the money breakdown)…WE’RE DOOMED!” :eek:

Never change Patsfans…never change :excited:
BB would get ripped for a signing like this and not out there wheeling and dealing with all that cap money to burn.

The narrative now is to keep the defense intact that was built by a guy who didn't even have a MySpace account and got his texting all fouled up messaging the wrong people.

Barmore is 4 years younger, plays a premium position, is great versus the run and the pass, and was probably our best defender last year...is that the kind of ******** common sense that is absent from your daily life?!

What's 'common sense' (an oxymoron nowadays) is posting what you meant to convey instead of the BS you did.
You have yourself a real nice day chief

I did not see the post but I do have a subscription, he has a 79.3 grade for the year which would be higher if not for the poor grade in 1 Q in Dallas. He has the highest of any Patriot, he would be 27th out of 141 in the NFL for the year if he maintained that play.

In addition he only played in 3 games and 1 quarter, and the poster here mentions "in his 5 games played"?

He was NOT the worst rated CB in PFF, not sure if there is some subset of the main metric but I see nothing indicating anything close to that?
Someone posted here on expected results, how much he was targeted, how much space he was giving up, etc.

Maybe slightly overpaying will entice others to come here. Just need to fix the lack of talent here.

So basically we just resigned a bunch of players from 4-13 team, including Dugger who was a massive liability in coverage last year, this makes zero sense to me...

We have basically managed to blow the cap just to retain players who couldn't get us 5 wins...really hate this move!

Barmore would have made a ton more sense.

Dugger was NOT a "massive liability in coverage" last year.

Feel free to leave and go root for the Jets.

Dugger is good, and hopefully can become great (especially with that price tag)

Let's remember, BB picked him where everyone bashed it. But he's now being paid as one of the top Safeties in the league. So, lets give BB his due - he did know how to find & develop defensive players.

Yes, a great message indeed. "4 wins and everyone gets new deals!"

They didn't re-sign everyone. 6 Players have signed with other teams. They Cut 4 and chose not to re-sign 6 others who are still free agents.

They signed 9 new players.

Maybe Cut the BS with your ridiculous hyperbole.

Not really, I am basing his dismal pass coverage on the whole year: see attachment for his PFF pass coverage grade.
PFFs "Grades" continue to be garbage and make no sense. A basic review of them would tell you this.

Dugger allowed 45/63 for 446 and 2 TDs according to PFF. Add to this 5 PDs, 2 ints, a FF, and an Opponent Passer rating of 88.5

Dugger allowed 44/64 for 478 and 1 TD according to Pro-Football Reference. Add to this 7 PDs, 2 ints, a FF and an Opponent Passer rating of 82.7

I think it's an overpay for Dugger but I also like that we are signing our young good players.

How is it an overpay for Dugger when it's 2.5M/yr below what the Top Safeties in the league are getting? It puts Dugger as the 6th highest AAV at 14.5. IF he hits his bonuses then that's a good thing for him.

Barmore is 4 years younger, plays a premium position, is great versus the run and the pass, and was probably our best defender last year...is that the kind of ******** common sense that is absent from your daily life?!

Maybe if you stopped blasting others and took a look at the "grades" you are defending, You'd realize just how absurd you're being.

The first one are Barmore's "GRADES" and the Second are Dugger's. You'll notice that Barmore had 3 grades of 40 on Defense, yet scored an 83 overall. While Dugger had 3 scores of 40 in Coverage and scored only a 50?

1712532270840.png1712532367719.png

I don't have w PFF subscription, so I can't fact check this, but it seems a bit off to me consider he was defensive rookie of the month in Sept.

1712532556559.png

Myles Bryant,
1712532618336.png

Jack Jones:
1712532682556.png

Jon Jones:
1712532727338.png

PFF's "grading" is borderline whimsical.

What a ****ing ridiculous ****ing waste of precious ****ing salary-cap space.

Uncle Dugg is so ****ing overrated here it’s not even ****ing funny.

That ****ing pick should’ve been Trevon Diggs.

Ahh yes.. Captain being Captain. Thinking that he's oh so intelligent with his 20/20 hindsight.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back