PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DT depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

ropese

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what the Pats are thinking here....veteran DT depth wise. I know they had interest in Bryant before he signed with the Browns. Contract was probably more than what the Pats were willing to pay, fine.

CJ Mosley was released by the Jags. He was perhaps their best defender last year...probably not saying much but. He also played for the Jets and Browns. Looks like he is about to sign with the Lions but would have been a solid signing as a backup to or starter next to Wilfork. I'm not sold on Love or Pryor. Deaderick was used at DT because of Love's struggles, I believe.

Thoughts??

You're throwing a fit over CJ Mosley?

The thing to consider is the youth of the DT depth on the roster:

Pryor 27
Love 26
Deaderick 26
Armstead 23
Forston 23

Pryor, Love and Deaderick are just hitting their prime. Armstead and Forston have impressive skills but situations within and outside their control have conspired against them.

It is all a matter of staying healthy and realizing their potential. If 0 or 1 do well enough to claim a roster spot, there is urgency. If 2 of them develop, there is a moderate need for depth. If 3 step up, the depth chart is fine beyond injury replacements. Any more and now you are starting to battle for roster spots.

I don't know who (if anyone) will show up. I'm thinking 3 or 4 of those guys are going to prove they are capable of taking significant snaps.

I'm trying to figure out what the Pats are thinking here....veteran DT depth wise. I know they had interest in Bryant before he signed with the Browns. Contract was probably more than what the Pats were willing to pay, fine.

CJ Mosley was released by the Jags. He was perhaps their best defender last year...probably not saying much but. He also played for the Jets and Browns. Looks like he is about to sign with the Lions but would have been a solid signing as a backup to or starter next to Wilfork. I'm not sold on Love or Pryor. Deaderick was used at DT because of Love's struggles, I believe.

Thoughts??
We signed Armstead at DT.

At NT the Pats have:
Vince Wilfork
Brandon Deaderick
Marcus Forston
Tracy Robertson

At DT the Pats have:
Kyle Love
Armond Armstead
Myron Pryor

Depending on who is available I would not be surprised if the Pats use a draft pick somewhere in the first three rounds on the interior DL.

Some of the unsigned veteran free agents available:
Richard Seymour (Raiders) - not happening
Shaun Cody (Texans)
Sedrick Ellis (Saints)
Casey Hampton (Steelers)
Tommy Kelly (Raiders)
Sione Pouha (Jets)
Justin Bannan (Broncos)
Corey Williams (Lions)
Amobi Okoye (Bears)
Rocky Bernard (Giants)
Antonio Johnson (Colts)
Leger Douzable (Titans)
Ty Warren (Broncos)

Last edited:
I might note that most of these players do not have contracts beyond this year.

The thing to consider is the youth of the DT depth on the roster:

Pryor 27
Love 26
Deaderick 26
Armstead 23
Forston 23

Pryor, Love and Deaderick are just hitting their prime. Armstead and Forston have impressive skills but situations within and outside their control have conspired against them.

It is all a matter of staying healthy and realizing their potential. If 0 or 1 do well enough to claim a roster spot, there is urgency. If 2 of them develop, there is a moderate need for depth. If 3 step up, the depth chart is fine beyond injury replacements. Any more and now you are starting to battle for roster spots.

I don't know who (if anyone) will show up. I'm thinking 3 or 4 of those guys are going to prove they are capable of taking significant snaps.

Depending on who is available I would not be surprised if the Pats use a draft pick somewhere in the first three rounds on the interior DL.

Some of the unsigned veteran free agents available:
Richard Seymour (Raiders) - not happening
Shaun Cody (Texans)
Sedrick Ellis (Saints)
Casey Hampton (Steelers)
Tommy Kelly (Raiders)
Sione Pouha (Jets)
Justin Bannan (Broncos)
Corey Williams (Lions)
Amobi Okoye (Bears)
Rocky Bernard (Giants)
Antonio Johnson (Colts)
Leger Douzable (Titans)
Ty Warren (Broncos)

I certainly agree that the DL is one of the team's biggest uncertainties and that I would expect a higher round draft pick in the first few rounds.

The fact that they haven't even added any real vets as they almost always do may even point to this more.

That isn't even bringing into account the talent level that is also obviously lacking, or that could at least definitely be improved upon.

I might note that most of these players do not have contracts beyond this year.

Love, Ninkovich, Cunningham, Pryor, Deaderick are all in their final yrs, with Wilfork having one more after that--so the DL is obviously in a state of uncertainty and need.

I'd be downright shocked if it was not addressed in the draft, and also expected a handful of solid/low-to-mid level vet signings, none of which have occurred as of yet.

I certainly agree with your analysis.

DL, WR and CB are likely to be drafted in the first 3 rounds.

I certainly agree that the DL is one of the team's biggest uncertainties and that I would expect a higher round draft pick in the first few rounds.

The fact that they haven't even added any real vets as they almost always do may even point to this more.

That isn't even bringing into account the talent level that is also obviously lacking, or that could at least definitely be improved upon.

Love, Ninkovich, Cunningham, Pryor, Deaderick are all in their final yrs, with Wilfork having one more after that--so the DL is obviously in a state of uncertainty and need.

I'd be downright shocked if it was not addressed in the draft, and also expected a handful of solid/low-to-mid level vet signings, none of which have occurred as of yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe