PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drop Kick: Fantasy, Brilliance, Something Else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T-ShirtDynasty said:
f) Fun. It is a game after all. :D

Agree..."a)", the beer bet, did try to catch the "fun" part...

PatsFanSince74 said:
Agree..."a)", the beer bet, did try to catch the "fun" part...
I think the fun was meant for the troops to keep them loose as they start into the playoffs, but interesting thinking, what if this is the first shot in the BB/Saban rivalry? Stay tuned.....

Box_O_Rocks said:
I think the fun was meant for the troops to keep them loose as they start into the playoffs, but interesting thinking, what if this is the first shot in the BB/Saban rivalry? Stay tuned.....

Yeah, I think it could be an awesome rivalry if Saban delivers at the same level as he did in the NCAA...remember, they used to hang out together in the offseason, breaking down film...

The drop kick was bush league. BB's way of saying thanks to the Mighty Midget, Flutie. Yah.....go ahead and let the BC yahoos declare it one of the greatest moment in NE sports history.....and way to extend Flutie Flake's "lagacy." The whole thing makes me gag. Do you serioulsy think that if BB wanted to win the game, he would have called that? No. I suspect that "Automatic Adam" would be a better bet.....yeesh. You just have to know that BB gave Saban a heads up on that call. It was contrived, pathetic and bogus.

Last edited:
Garbanza said:
You just have to know that BB gave Saban a heads up on that call. It was contrived, pathetic and bogus.
Then why did Saban say that the formation confused him to the point of having to call a time out just to figure out what the hell was going on?

"It sort of screwed me up,'' said Dolphins coach Nick Saban, who needed a timeout to get things straight. "I couldn't figure out what was going on. They had a quarterback in, four tight ends and a receiver and there was no kicker.'' http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/wires/01/01/2020.ap.fbn.patriots.flutie.drop.kick.1st.ld.writethru.0667/index.html

Garbanza said:
The drop kick was bush league. BB's way of saying thanks to the Mighty Midget, Flutie. Yah.....go ahead and let the BC yahoos declare it one of the greatest moment in NE sports history.....and way to extend Flutie Flake's "lagacy." The whole thing makes me gag. Do you serioulsy think that if BB wanted to win the game, he would have called that? No. I suspect that "Automatic Adam" would be a better bet.....yeesh. You just have to know that BB gave Saban a heads up on that call. It was contrived, pathetic and bogus.

I'm not a big Flutie fan. But, what the hell is all the noise about?

1. It added some fun to the No Fun League. What's wrong with that?

2. It brought back a lost art from the past for people who had never heard of it. What's wrong with that?

When, BB pulled his starters, it became a meaningless game. Perfect time to do something like that. Just think of all the noise today if he would have missed it.

JoeSixPat said:
BB sending a pre-playoff message to other teams that they can NEVER know what to expect from the Patriots

That is a good point.

I think it was a way of honoring his father. The last time this was done was 1941, which was also his dad's only year in the NFL. I don't think that is a coincidence.

bush or silly?

Garbanza said:
contrived? by that do you mean made up as an activity that had nothing to do with the game? sure.
pathetic? it was kind of sad to see flutie out there for that play. maybe troy brown? hochstein? seymour?
bogus? as in fake, not respectful of the game, a play with no significance but certain to make the papers? sure. everybody gotta do something stupid every once in a while, just to satisfy the laws of probability.
contrived, pathetic, and bogus? ok. but funny as hell it is instantly an addition to patriots lore.
thank god for antidepressants.
by the way, who's the patriots backup placekicker? miller? or FLUTIE?

PATSNUTme said:
I'm not a big Flutie fan. But, what the hell is all the noise about?

1. It added some fun to the No Fun League. What's wrong with that?

2. It brought back a lost art from the past for people who had never heard of it. What's wrong with that?

When, BB pulled his starters, it became a meaningless game. Perfect time to do something like that. Just think of all the noise today if he would have missed it.
Not to mention that it seemed to me like everyone on the TEAM got a lift out of it! Flutie even said that he got the biggest charge out of the reaction from his TE's! More team building, heading into the biggest grind of the season!

Good God, people will complain about EVERYTHING. Who the heck cares about this drop kick anymore? It was not bush league, it wasn't disrespectful, it was just something. It was another play in a game that featured 100+ plays. Life must be pretty boring if you are complaining about this.

BradyisGod said:
Good God, people will complain about EVERYTHING. Who the heck cares about this drop kick anymore? It was not bush league, it wasn't disrespectful, it was just something. It was another play in a game that featured 100+ plays. Life must be pretty boring if you are complaining about this.
I totally agree with you. People just need something to talk about as we wait for Saturday, but to get so impassioned about it is just asinine.

Perhaps these fans need another hobby.....

Flutie's drop-kick was one thing, and one thing only: silly.

Tunescribe said:
Flutie's drop-kick was one thing, and one thing only: silly.

I'll bet you hate puppies too!

Bill's Girl said:

Puppies are contrived.

Bella*chick said:
Perhaps these fans need another hobby.....
I enjoy small pet taxidermy... y'know, Hampsters, Ferrets, Kittens and small Dogs. I'm not sure what is more fun... getting the kill or applying the secret hidden Flying Elivis to the carcass before delivery to the client (I find hiding it under the tongue is too easy, I tend to go for inconspicuous, but external areas of the carcass).

T-ShirtDynasty said:
I enjoy small pet taxidermy... y'know, Hampsters, Ferrets, Kittens and small Dogs. I'm not sure what is more fun... getting the kill or applying the secret hidden Flying Elivis to the carcass before delivery to the client (I find hiding it under the tongue is too easy, I tend to go for inconspicuous, but external areas of the carcass).

LOL, OT but you just reminded me of the one of the comedy bits of my favorite comedian, Eddie Izzard, about overachievers in strange fields, like taxidermy. "I wanna get the whole of the Gobi Desert into a rat!" :D

Last edited:
Belichick does things like that to have a little fun. Getting Nick Saban to burn a TO out of confusion probably added to the fun for Belichick. I still remember Madden proclaiming on MNF how the Pat's had no linemen on Defense against a team whose offense tried to pass almost every down. Belichick loves stuff like that.

A memorial to his father and all that is almost certainly reading way to much into it.

Bill's Girl said:

What does Flutie's drop-kick being silly have to do with hating anything, especially puppies? For the record I love puppies. And kittens, too. But that drop-kick was still silly.

disrespectful?

Tunescribe said:
What does Flutie's drop-kick being silly have to do with hating anything, especially puppies? For the record I love puppies. And kittens, too. But that drop-kick was still silly.
the game is supposed to be taken seriously. now that's a contradiction in terms.
i'm sure somewhere, a bettor had a razor at this throat. the gamblers take this stuff seriously. but the nfl ignores that, right.
disrespectful? too strong. maybe capricious.
but a lotta fun. i thoroughly enjoyed. i have it protected on TiVo. maybe someday i'll figure out how to offload it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back