PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drew Bledsoe Wine Signing

Boones Farm is where it's at folks
Back in the 70's, I remember all the winos in the South End drank " shake em up". As in " C'mon man,gimme a dollar fo' some shake em up". I lived there for a while and would like a nickel for every time some bum asked me that. I have no f'n idea what " shake em up" is.
But all Boston area teenagers knew about Boones Farm. Man, I hated that shiit.

My wife's family has been in the wine business for three generations, so I've had the opportunity to sample all sorts of wines. The difference between a $10 and a $20 red is pronounced. Between a $20 and a $50 less so, and above that you're wasting your money unless you have a very discerning palate.
Have you ever tried Masciarelli wine? If yes, is it any good?

What do you recommend with a twist off cap?
Nowadays, there are some very good wines that come with twist-off caps, though I don't expect Chateau Lafite to go that route too soon. Try Angeline pinot noir, a nice wine with a twist-off cap and positive reviews that can be had for about $13.

I was all on board when Costco started selling wines.
I didn't find anything I liked and thought it was all overpriced.

My wife's family has been in the wine business for three generations, so I've had the opportunity to sample all sorts of wines. The difference between a $10 and a $20 red is pronounced. Between a $20 and a $50 less so, and above that you're wasting your money unless you have a very discerning palate.

I don't know how long ago that was, but your numbers have shifted up considerably in just the last few years. While the low end you quote still exists, the higher end has shifted up significantly. At the store I normally shop, the $20-50 price range is less populated than it was about 3 years ago. Even crazier is that quite a few wines that used to be ~$50 are now selling for over $100 (price a Cade Cabernet Sauvignon these days?). Wine prices, particularly Californian wines, have risen dramatically and it started before COVID.

Bledsoe's Doubleback wines are very good and I like to have a couple in the cellar - I think I still have a few 2015s in mine - but at that price point (~$120) he's competing in a very crowded field. There are a lot of great wines in that price range. His Chadonnay is competing in an even more crowded field. Selling a Chardonnay for $40 is a very tough market, particularly when it doesn't say "Napa" on the label.

Last edited:
Nowadays, there are some very good wines that come with twist-off caps, though I don't expect Chateau Lafite to go that route too soon. Try Angeline pinot noir, a nice wine with a twist-off cap and positive reviews that can be had for about $13.

I have some Cade Reserve with a screwcap. Plumpjack sells their $250 Cabernet Sauvignon with a screwcap. Many high-end Australian wines have a screw cap. I love screw caps. I hate corks. I've had too many nice bottles ruined by a crappy cork.

You're right. A lot of good wines have twist caps today. Pinot Noir is one of my favorites. so thanks for the referral. Gamay Beaujolais is another good one.

If the Pats will go to another Super Bowl it will be a Sassicaia bottle to celebrate

I have some Cade Reserve with a screwcap. Plumpjack sells their $250 Cabernet Sauvignon with a screwcap. Many high-end Australian wines have a screw cap. I love screw caps. I hate corks. I've had too many nice bottles ruined by a crappy cork.
True. Expensive wines, like classified growth Bordeaux, usually require substantial periods in the cellar, but the longer you delay opening, the more likely the cork will disintegrate when you attempt to remove it. As with you, it has happened to me many times. However, a bottle of Doubleback that my brother gave me as a present many years ago, had a cork that stayed intact.

True. Expensive wines, like classified growth Bordeaux, usually require substantial periods in the cellar, but the longer you delay opening, the more likely the cork will disintegrate when you attempt to remove it. As with you, it has happened to me many times. However, a bottle of Doubleback that my brother gave me as a present many years ago, had a cork that stayed intact.
The 1993 Zinfandel from Ridge's Geyserville vintage was incredible. I bought a bunch of it. When the vintage flipped, I bought a case and stashed them in my cellar. Slowly over the next 15 years, I drank a bottle or two until I had one left and they were all just as good if not better than when I bought them. I saved that last bottle for a special occasion & wouldn't you know it, it was corked. I was so bummed.

There have been studies that show as many as 10% of all corked wines have some cork taint. Sometimes, it just makes the wine taste "off", others are obvious. I worked a tasting bar at a wine store for almost 4 years and I got to the point were I could tell a wine was off even though it was slight. Because I was working the tasting bar, I had to open another bottle. I was right far more often than I was wrong. The worst cork taint is the ones that give the wine that moldy, wet basement flavor. Yuck.

I remember reading many years ago about screw caps taking over. I think it's a good idea but it hasn't quite caught on yet as far as I can tell.

I remember reading many years ago about screw caps taking over. I think it's a good idea but it hasn't quite caught on yet as far as I can tell.

Wine drinkers often get labeled "snobs" because of the terminology they sometimes use to describe their wines. Want some pencil shavings with that Cabernet?

There are quite a few wine drinkers that refuse to drink wines with a screwcap. That puts them over the top for snobbery. :)

I was all on board when Costco started selling wines.
I didn't find anything I liked and thought it was all overpriced.
Bought a bottle of Chateau St Michelle Riesling to go with my favorite pasta dish at the local Italian restaurant recently; cost $28
Found it at Costco for $7.99.................................enjoyed it much more at that price

Saw the same bottle at Target for $11.99 the next day.
(I guess Target products cost more now since they had to add bathrooms for the 3rd gender)

Note: Not a wine recommendation, my taste buds are whacked

Wine drinkers often get labeled "snobs" because of the terminology they sometimes use to describe their wines. Want some pencil shavings with that Cabernet?

There are quite a few wine drinkers that refuse to drink wines with a screwcap. That puts them over the top for snobbery. :)
More for me then. :)

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back