PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Boo-Hoo Drew Crew

You are completely wrong.

Objectively, Grogan and Flutie ran much more, but the measure is making plays in pressure situations with the game on the line. Brady rarely runs, but when he does it usually is for an important gain. Most quarterbacks lack exceptional acumen - this makes the better ones exceptional. It's hard to play the position in the first place - doing it with all the physical and mental challenges and leading a team to victory is what separates the few. Individual overall statistics can be misleading, unless you think Derek Carr and Kerry Collins et al. are Hall of Famers.

This can be partially subjective; however the conclusions are based upon live visual observation, in the moment. Um, and the final score.

If you think your team has a better chance of success with Drew Bledsoe instead of Steve Grogan or Doug Flutie, good luck. I believe you'll need it. Tip: If you have to play Drew, have him hand it off to C-Mart 30 times. 25 minimum.

Are you trying to demonstrate that you have absolutely no understanding of the QB position, or something? Because this is how you would go about doing that.

Fans that cheer the Mo Lewis hit make me question a lot about them. Hey, it brought the team lots of good, but Bledsoe almost died on the field from that hit. Even if I wasn't biased.

Watching some of those Raymond Clayborn kick returns in the late 70s was awesome... The way they used to be able to create a massive wall of blockers made for some exciting football...
Yep. And I thought Clayborn might have been a better corner than Haynes...

Drew Bledsoe had a strong arm but he was a statue back there. Couldn't move in the pocket, couldn't run. He did bring the Patriots back to respectability and a winning record.

Meanwhile Mac Jones doesn't have the canon arm that Bledsoe did. And he doesn't have mobility either. So when things break down it just looks like he has no tools to win in this current situation.

It just strokes the ego of the guy who spent a first round pick on Mac, surrounded him by the worst offensive coaching possible this year - Matt Patricia and Joe Judge, on top of that add an OL with inconsistent pass protection, and it's no wonder why he's failing. :poop:

If you keep throwing Mac Jones out there and he looks as bad as he has this season, that ultimately doesn't give you a better chance to win.

Right now Zappe looks to be the smart play. He can throw on the run, he can make plays outside the pocket. All things that Mac can't do.

So Bledsoe is better than Mac? But Zappe is better than both? Or Bledsoe is better than Zappe who is better than Mac?

Why are you talking about Mac and Zappe in the Bledsoe thread?

I'll never understand why some Patriots fans feel the need to talk Bledsoe down.
If Pats fans can crap on Brady (and they are) then Bledsoe is also fair game. Just don't criticize you-know-who.

My only complaint about Drew is the same I have for many of the top QBs with stronger arms. They take chances that they shouldn't and that leads to picks.

On the flip side, because of the classy way Drew handled his demotion he averted a split of the locker room. Not many top QBs would be willing to do that in his situation.

I have said this many times that Drew Bledsoe's problem wasn't talent. It was that his talents were perfect for a 90s QB and not a 21st century QB. Bledsoe was a 5-7 step drop QB who would allow the play to develop and use his arm strength to thread needles down the field. The problem is defenses got to fast for that style of QB and QB need to get the ball out in closer to 2 seconds than over 3 seconds.

Give Bledsoe Belichick and the 2003 or 2004 defense (assuming Belichick would run an offense that utilized Bledsoe's skills) in 1997 or 1998 and the Pats have a good shot at winning the conference and even the Super Bowl. And even then the defense were starting to get quicker and quicker. They just wasn't as quick as they got by the early 2000s.

And as for Bledsoe under Belichick, Belichick just wanted to use a system that was not conducive with Bledsoe's strengths and actually played to a lot of his weakness (short drops and fast reads).

Last edited:
If Pats fans can crap on Brady (and they are) then Bledsoe is also fair game. Just don't criticize you-know-who.

My only complaint about Drew is the same I have for many of the top QBs with stronger arms. They take chances that they shouldn't and that leads to picks.

On the flip side, because of the classy way Drew handled his demotion he averted a split of the locker room. Not many top QBs would be willing to do that in his situation.
Drew definitely got himself in trouble because of his arm. When you have a rocket launcher on your shoulder you think you can lodge the ball into any window and obviously that isn't always the case. I also keep seeing "well he wasn't mobile". Yeah and who in that era was? Randall Cunningham and Steve Young?

Drew definitely got himself in trouble because of his arm. When you have a rocket launcher on your shoulder you think you can lodge the ball into any window and obviously that isn't always the case. I also keep seeing "well he wasn't mobile". Yeah and who in that era was? Randall Cunningham and Steve Young?
Very true, there were far less mobile QBs back then. Kordell Stewart and Steve McNair also come to mind. But usually the really mobile QBs weren't very good passers (Stewart for example). Most QBs were pocket passers, some had better pocket presence than others. When Michael Vick came into the league, people were blown away because he was a running QB like no one had ever seen, but he'd be seen as nothing out of the ordinary in today's league with the likes of Jackson, Murray, Fields, Allen, etc running all over the field. I think people forget that it wasn't always like this.

Belichick and Bledsoe never would have won a Super Bowl together. Not one. Bledsoe also put the nail in Pete Carroll's coffin... throwing 17 INTs in the 2-6 finish to the 1999 season. Carroll had the Patriots defense playing pretty well in the second half of 1999... allowing only 16 points per game... problem was the offense could only muster 13 points per game with Bledsoe making a mess of himself.

Bledsoe had his moments but he was entirely immobile in the pocket and he never excelled despite some decent supporting casts. He was a terrible postseason quarterback too which really eliminates giving him a plus grade for his career.

Very true, there were far less mobile QBs back then. Kordell Stewart and Steve McNair also come to mind. But usually the really mobile QBs weren't very good passers (Stewart for example). Most QBs were pocket passers, some had better pocket presence than others. When Michael Vick came into the league, people were blown away because he was a running QB like no one had ever seen, but he'd be seen as nothing out of the ordinary in today's league with the likes of Jackson, Murray, Fields, Allen, etc running all over the field. I think people forget that it wasn't always like this.
Balance between run & pass can be optimal, and/or the most dangerous. Elway and Young scrambled and ran effectively.

But Montana and Brady (and Flutie) are better. Because they have the better grasp of the field and the details. Which also allowed them to play well even when they were older.

Fans that cheer the Mo Lewis hit make me question a lot about them. Hey, it brought the team lots of good, but Bledsoe almost died on the field from that hit. Even if I wasn't biased.
Drew almost dying has nothing to do with it.

Anything to get him out of there would suffice.

Drew was lightyears better than anything we have seen from Mac. Drew led this team to a Super Bowl and spent most of his career with very subpar surrounding casts. Bledsoe is the second best QB in this franchise's history.
Drew had excellent surroundings casts including Bruce Armstrong, good receivers and good defenses.

I guess Neil Lomax is the second best QB in Cardinals history, and Ron Jaworski is the second best QB in Eagles history, and...

21 years later....cool. Also Flutie.
Ahh, the good old days of the Drew Crew vs Flutie's Floozies vs Brady's Ladies vs Damien's Dames

Drew could really throw the ball and immediately made the team better. He was also physically tough, but not a student of the game. He was one of the players who complained that Tuna was too mean. DB would would have had a much better career if Tuna did not move on when he did. Ultimately his career was negatively impacted by being enabled by Pete Carrol.
Interesting how Drew's career ended up in Dallas, trying to make a comeback with BP as coach. The 2nd time around didn't go very well.

Drew almost dying has nothing to do with it.

Anything to get him out of there would suffice.
"Anything" including the death of a player who led the turnaround of your team and provided a trip to the Super Bowl?

Nah, not into that concept.

Drew had excellent surroundings casts including Bruce Armstrong, good receivers and good defenses.

I guess Neil Lomax is the second best QB in Cardinals history, and Ron Jaworski is the second best QB in Eagles history, and...

You really need to stop, because you're embarrassing yourself. Bledsoe was drafted in 1993 because the Patriots were a 2 win team that had the #1 overall pick and huge team-wide talent problems. His WRs in his rookie season were Brisby, Timpson, and McMurtry, so he became all about focusing on his TEs out of necessity, essentially using Coates as his WR1. He didn't get an upgraded WR goup until 1996. And, once Bledsoe finally got his WRs in 1996, Coates flattened off and started his decline.

You really need to stop, because you're embarrassing yourself.
Bledsoe was drafted in 1993 because the Patriots were a 2 win team that had the #1 overall pick and huge team-wide talent problems.
Correct. Thank goodness Parcells did not choose Mirer.
His WRs in his rookie season were Brisby, Timpson, and McMurtry, so he became all about focusing on his TEs out of necessity, essentially using Coates as his WR1.
So Drew threw the ball, a lot, and found guys. Great.
He didn't get an upgraded WR goup until 1996. And, once Bledsoe finally got his WRs in 1996, Coates flattened off and started his decline.
And Drew made three more Pro Bowls. Like a dozen other QB's who are not considered exceptional.

He did NOT 'spend most of his career with very subpar surrounding casts'.

You're embarrassing yourself. Either Drew didn't sign an autograph for you one day or this is a poor troll job.

Correct. Thank goodness Parcells did not choose Mirer.

So Drew threw the ball, a lot, and found guys. Great.

And Drew made three more Pro Bowls. Like a dozen other QB's who are not considered exceptional.

He did NOT 'spend most of his career with very subpar surrounding casts'.

You proved my point with this post. Thanks for doing it so obviously.

Ahh, the good old days of the Drew Crew vs Flutie's Floozies vs Brady's Ladies vs Damien's Dames

Interesting how Drew's career ended up in Dallas, trying to make a comeback with BP as coach. The 2nd time around didn't go very well.

"Anything" including the death of a player who led the turnaround of your team and provided a trip to the Super Bowl?

Nah, not into that concept.
He was pretty cooked by that time and was beaten out by a rising Tony Romo. After reading your post I had to look up the old Drew Bledsoe's Blogspot spoof hate for Romo. Romo's nickname is not very PC, but the content is still funny none the less.

You proved my point with this post. Thanks for doing it so obviously.
Patriots' League Ranking In Points Allowed

Year________Rank_________Points

1993_______11th__________286
1994_______12th__________312
1995_______25th__________377
1996_______14th__________313
1997_______8th___________289
1998_______14th__________329
1999_______7th___________284
2000_______17th__________338

So, Drew had decent (and some very good) defenses in six of his eight years. Again, not 'very subpar'.

Patriots' League Ranking In Points Allowed

Year________Rank_________Points

1993_______11th__________286
1994_______12th__________312
1995_______25th__________377
1996_______14th__________313
1997_______8th___________289
1998_______14th__________329
1999_______7th___________284
2000_______17th__________338

So, Drew had decent (and some very good) defenses in six of his eight years. Again, not 'very subpar'.
This is good ?

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back