PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Boo-Hoo Drew Crew

Drew could really throw the ball and immediately made the team better. He was also physically tough, but not a student of the game. He was one of the players who complained that Tuna was too mean. DB would would have had a much better career if Tuna did not move on when he did. Ultimately his career was negatively impacted by being enabled by Pete Carrol.
This is a good thought. I remember Carrol being interviewed and saying “Drew holds the ball too long sometimes but we don’t say anything cause he makes plays”, and i immediately thought Parcells would have watched him throw a touchdown and immediately have said “you got lucky, won’t happen like that again if you hold the ball that long”.

I'll never understand why some Patriots fans feel the need to talk Bledsoe down.
Because they are NOT happy unless they are tearing someone down. You see, when you are faultless in your own right, it is imperative that you tear down others. It's only natural, right? :rolleyes:

Drew was a very good QB for his time, did a lot of nice things, took us to the playoffs a bunch of times, took us to a Super Bowl, put up some big numbers, was fun to watch, and generally was a good dude. I also credit him for making me (and I'm sure many others) a Pats fan when they were very young in the early 90s. Love that guy. 2nd favorite player of all time behind TB12. There's really no reason to crap on him because he had a better career than the majority of NFL QBs throughout history.

Drew was a very good QB for his time, did a lot of nice things, took us to the playoffs a bunch of times, took us to a Super Bowl, put up some big numbers, was fun to watch, and generally was a good dude. I also credit him for making me (and I'm sure many others) a Pats fan when they were very young in the early 90s. Love that guy. 2nd favorite player of all time behind TB12. There's really no reason to crap on him because he had a better career than the majority of NFL QBs throughout history.
Drew came along with Tuna at the right time following the disastrous 1992 2 and 14 season. He along with Tuna gave the team some badly needed respectibility. Bledsoe's passes to Ben Coates etc., bring back great memories. OTOH, Drew could also throw WTF interceptions - so there's that too. LOL

Drew came along with Tuna at the right time following the disastrous 1992 2 and 14 season. He along with Tuna gave the team some badly needed respectibility. Bledsoe's passes to Ben Coates etc., bring back great memories. OTOH, Drew could also throw WTF interceptions - so there's that too. LOL
Absolutely. He wasn't the most efficient QB, he was more of a gunslinger type.

I remember the sign in the end zone every game that said Missin Sisson, one day I did an appraisal in the Foxboro area and the house I was appraising had a Missin Sisson banner on the wall, yep it was the same one that was present at all those games.

That was terrible. The Patriots made whoever that idiot was take it down.

Because they are NOT happy unless they are tearing someone down. You see, when you are faultless in your own right, it is imperative that you tear down others. It's only natural, right? :rolleyes:
In my case, personally, it has nothing to do with tearing anybody down at all. Drew is extremely well liked, and genuinely wanted and tried to win - and he won a lot of games. And, I repeat that he had nothing to do with being treated as a savoir and the 'Man Who Built Gillette Stadium' which of course is ridiculous.

It has to do with media driven false narratives which are in direct contradiction to the truth and which are used not only to draw false conclusions, but lead to tangible ill advised actions which result in disaster.

What makes BB the GOAT? He kept Brady in there. How many head coaches in that situation would have caved to conventional wisdom and MEDIA pressure. Most, if not all.

Drew is NOT EVEN CLOSE to the player that Plunkett, Grogan, Flutie, Adams, Francis et al. are.

Byron Dafoe is not the Second Best Goaltender In The History Of The Boston Bruins. Joe Thornton is not The Second Best Forward In The History Of The Boston Bruins. Marc Bulger is not the Second Best Quarterback In The History Of The Rams.

Drew is NOT EVEN CLOSE to the player that Plunkett, Grogan, Flutie, Adams, Francis et al. are.

Leaving out the non QBs and Plunkett (who's best years weren't even in New England), saying that Bledsoe is not close to Grogan or Flutie is completely ridiculous. And, of course claiming that those players are better is trying to tear down Bledsoe.

In my case, personally, it has nothing to do with tearing anybody down at all. Drew is extremely well liked, and genuinely wanted and tried to win - and he won a lot of games. And, I repeat that he had nothing to do with being treated as a savoir and the 'Man Who Built Gillette Stadium' which of course is ridiculous.

It has to do with media driven false narratives which are in direct contradiction to the truth and which are used not only to draw false conclusions, but lead to tangible ill advised actions which result in disaster.

What makes BB the GOAT? He kept Brady in there. How many head coaches in that situation would have caved to conventional wisdom and MEDIA pressure. Most, if not all.

Having binkies from yore and feeling nostalgic about them is perfectly fine, but I suspect your memory might be prejudiced by guys who wore red jerseys. Drew Bledsoe absolutely was a superior quarterback to Plunkett, Grogan and Flutie -- as Patriots.

Leaving out the non QBs and Plunkett (who's best years weren't even in New England), saying that Bledsoe is not close to Grogan or Flutie is completely ridiculous. And, of course claiming that those players are better is trying to tear down Bledsoe.
You are completely wrong.

Objectively, Grogan and Flutie ran much more, but the measure is making plays in pressure situations with the game on the line. Brady rarely runs, but when he does it usually is for an important gain. Most quarterbacks lack exceptional acumen - this makes the better ones exceptional. It's hard to play the position in the first place - doing it with all the physical and mental challenges and leading a team to victory is what separates the few. Individual overall statistics can be misleading, unless you think Derek Carr and Kerry Collins et al. are Hall of Famers.

This can be partially subjective; however the conclusions are based upon live visual observation, in the moment. Um, and the final score.

If you think your team has a better chance of success with Drew Bledsoe instead of Steve Grogan or Doug Flutie, good luck. I believe you'll need it. Tip: If you have to play Drew, have him hand it off to C-Mart 30 times. 25 minimum.

Last edited:
Having binkies from yore and feeling nostalgic about them is perfectly fine, but I suspect your memory might be prejudiced by guys who wore red jerseys. Drew Bledsoe absolutely was a superior quarterback to Plunkett, Grogan and Flutie -- as Patriots.
Plunkett: Pats QBRec: 23-38

Grogan: Pats QBRec: 75-60

Flutie: Pats QBRec: 8-5

So, if you put Drew Bledsoe in place of these guys with those teams...I'm sorry, LOL...

Plunkett: Pats QBRec: 23-38

Grogan: Pats QBRec: 75-60

Flutie: Pats QBRec: 8-5

So, if you put Drew Bledsoe in place of these guys with those teams...I'm sorry, LOL...
Plunkett's record as a Patriots starter is not something to use as an example of a good Patriots QB. And they instantly had more success from 76 onward once Plunkett was gone.

I'll never understand why some Patriots fans feel the need to talk Bledsoe down.

Drew Bledsoe had a strong arm but he was a statue back there. Couldn't move in the pocket, couldn't run. He did bring the Patriots back to respectability and a winning record.

TBH I also had Mac rated above Bledsoe (and Eason) based upon last year. Of course, Mac's now dropped below Hugh Millen.

Ray Perkins was an exceptionally qualified, including two four-year NFL head coaching stints, coach before becoming our OC with Bill & Drew in '93, as well as a sentimental guy having been our WR's coach from '74-'77 (ring stolen in '76).

But, giving the rookie Curtis Martin 11 carries in the Super Bowl is a concession only slightly less egregious than starting Tony Eason. It must be put on Parcells as well.

Meanwhile Mac Jones doesn't have the canon arm that Bledsoe did. And he doesn't have mobility either. So when things break down it just looks like he has no tools to win in this current situation.

It just strokes the ego of the guy who spent a first round pick on Mac, surrounded him by the worst offensive coaching possible this year - Matt Patricia and Joe Judge, on top of that add an OL with inconsistent pass protection, and it's no wonder why he's failing. :poop:

If you keep throwing Mac Jones out there and he looks as bad as he has this season, that ultimately doesn't give you a better chance to win.

Right now Zappe looks to be the smart play. He can throw on the run, he can make plays outside the pocket. All things that Mac can't do.

Plunkett's record as a Patriots starter is not something to use as an example of a good Patriots QB.
Of course it is! Mac just broke his rookie wins record last year. Jim had some good individuals to throw to, but the team overall was not good. He won most of those games on his own. Now, to be fair, Drew won a lot of those early games on his own, too. Got to give him credit for that.
And they instantly had more success from 76 onward once Plunkett was gone.
After an injury-plagued '75 season in which the kids including Grogan & Francis got crucial experience, the draft haul and team health put the Patriots in serious contention. The '77 draft then set them up to at least be competitive, even after Fairbanks & Gray were gone. The Plunkett trade was a heist, if you don't pay too much attention to his later success with the Raiders.

Meanwhile, Jim instantly got the 49ers off to another 6-1 start in '76, before he again got the crap kicked out of him. Four of their subsequent losses were close, including two in overtime.

Drew Bledsoe had a strong arm but he was a statue back there. Couldn't move in the pocket, couldn't run. He did bring the Patriots back to respectability and a winning record.

Meanwhile Mac Jones doesn't have the canon arm that Bledsoe did. And he doesn't have mobility either. So when things break down it just looks like he has no tools to win in this current situation.

It just strokes the ego of the guy who spent a first round pick on Mac, surrounded him by the worst offensive coaching possible this year - Matt Patricia and Joe Judge, on top of that add an OL with inconsistent pass protection, and it's no wonder why he's failing. :poop:

If you keep throwing Mac Jones out there and he looks as bad as he has this season, that ultimately doesn't give you a better chance to win.

Right now Zappe looks to be the smart play. He can throw on the run, he can make plays outside the pocket. All things that Mac can't do.
1668540813705.png

Drew was lightyears better than anything we have seen from Mac. Drew led this team to a Super Bowl and spent most of his career with very subpar surrounding casts. Bledsoe is the second best QB in this franchise's history.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back