PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

22 Years Ago Today: Mo Lewis

Interesting to hear the commentary that Bledsoe was fine and not being replaced for health reasons. In my memory that hit had left Bledsoe seriously injured.

Bledsoe played the next series after the hit. Drew was one tough son of a *****.

The hit that launched a dynasty.

Thank you, Mo.

Boy, Brady really drove the ball downfield.

I personally think Drew would have been an easy Hall of Famer if he had been Class of 83 instead of 93. Being able to keep that roster together around him, ESPECIALLY Curtis, would have been huge.

Interesting to hear the commentary that Bledsoe was fine and not being replaced for health reasons. In my memory that hit had left Bledsoe seriously injured.

He was dying and would’ve died had he gone home. The team Doctors didn’t allow it and made Drew to go to the hospital.

It’s very bizarre that some fans celebrate this potentially deadly hit and think it was the only way the Tom Brady era would’ve started. Drew was struggling badly, so Tom would’ve seen the field at some point during the season.

He was dying and would’ve died had he gone home. The team Doctors didn’t allow it and made Drew to go to the hospital.

It’s very bizarre that some fans celebrate this potentially deadly hit and think it was the only way the Tom Brady era would’ve started. Drew was struggling badly, so Tom would’ve seen the field at some point during the season.

I think by that point, Bledsoe had started to check out a bit. He had gone through multiple head coaches, offensive coordinators, and had a new head coach who clearly did not like the way he played. Belichick cleared out a ton of Bledsoe's friends and favorite targets.

I’ve heard Drew say he wishes his career hadn’t been reduced to a footnote in Tom Brady history, and I totally get that. When he retired he took this hit he was probably a top 20 QB all time. I think he was like tenth in total yards. Now 17th last I checked.

I think by that point, Bledsoe had started to check out a bit. He had gone through multiple head coaches, offensive coordinators, and had a new head coach who clearly did not like the way he played. Belichick cleared out a ton of Bledsoe's friends and favorite targets.
? He just signed the biggest contract in NFL history and you think he then checked out a few months later? Sad if true.

I was younger...

It’s very bizarre that some fans celebrate this potentially deadly hit
We're obviously not celebrating the seriousness of it, but that it happened.

The 1985 Patriots are sub-.500 if Eason doesn't get knocked out against the Bills.

The 1986 Patriots likewise do not make the playoffs if Eason doesn't get knocked out in the Orange Bowl the last week.

Raiders fans would likely have zero legitimate Super Bowls to celebrate had Pastorini not gotten knocked out in 1980.

Plunkett was considered one of the most beat-up, washed-up quarterbacks on any roster.
It’s very bizarre that some fans...think it was the only way the Tom Brady era would’ve started. Drew was struggling badly, so Tom would’ve seen the field at some point during the season.
It's very arguable that it happened just in time to save the season. The Tuck Rule played a role in us losing the game, but it took some absolutely clutch play way beyond his years from Brady, similarly to what Grogan displayed in 1976, for them to make the postseason.

I agree with Drew when he says today that he likely would have returned as the starter in 2002 had Coleman not correctly applied the Tuck Rule.

That said, I believe Belichick does not get the credit he deserves for:

-Drafting Brady
-Keeping him even with four quarterbacks on the roster
-Promoting him to second string after the preseason
-Keeping Brady in as the starter, even amidst the ridiculous, absurd, deafening (and completely wrong) media and fans blathering that "the starter does not lose his job to injury" (So Majkowski should have been put back in over Favre and Green should have been put back in over Warner? etc.) because they loooooooooooooooooooove Drew just like Kraft does making him the highest paid player in the history of the NFL and comparing Drew to all the Boston GOATS which Brady in fact earned the right to be mentioned in the same sentence with.

Not that Berry ever would listen or change his mind that Tony Eason is Unitas/Montana/Brady combined, but where was the clamor to start Grogan for SBXX? It was our only chance. Period. Like the 'small faction' of Patriots fans who protested destroying our identity in 1993, the idea was drowned out by that humiliating video made with players and media, and Berry's game plan to abandon the run(what got us there) before the opening kickoff.

? He just signed the biggest contract in NFL history and you think he then checked out a few months later? Sad if true.

This much is true, but that was before that year's training camp and preseason, when Belichick got rid of even more players... maybe it became ever clearer that preseason that Belichick didn't want him. Maybe Bledsoe had hoped the new contract would make him feel more secure. I don't know. I just think it was clear Belichick had no interest in running a Bledsoe-type gameplan.

This much is true, but that was before that year's training camp and preseason, when Belichick got rid of even more players... maybe it became ever clearer that preseason that Belichick didn't want him. Maybe Bledsoe had hoped the new contract would make him feel more secure. I don't know. I just think it was clear Belichick had no interest in running a Bledsoe-type gameplan.
It was entirely Kraft who took the initiative, including flying [elvis] Drew here for the press conference.

Robert wanted to make news and put the Patriots in the spotlight, as 5-11 didn't garner much beyond dismal prospects for the team.

And...Robert loves Drew.

Belichick went along because obviously he's not going to protest against his boss (as he apparently was expected to twenty years later when an actual franchise savior needed to be wrapped up to stay here and make him [Tom] a career Patriot), and it actually saved money for us against the cap.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back