PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drake Maye would be the IDEAL pick for the Patriots at #3

The more I watch of Maye, the more I don't want him. Holds the ball too long, has a tendency to underthrow his receivers, and his athleticism is overrated to the extent that I don't think it translates into the NFL.

Last edited:
The more I watch of Maye, the more I don't want him. Holds the ball too long, has a tendency to underthrow his receivers, and his athleticism is overrated to the extend that I don't think it translates into the NFL.
JJ McCarthy the accuracy can be taught.
Winning program, strong arm, winner, cares about winning great team mate.
I know he came from a run heavy offense, I think that’s what we are trying to implement so I think him or Daniel’s would be the best pick to implement that.
If you’re not trading for Fields.
Bo Nix is a guy I really like but the age puts him below McCarthy for me.
Pennix is interesting, strong arm but misses a lot of short throws and is a statue.

A lot of QB’s look great in College and on film but bust in the Pro’s because their talent does not translate to the Pro’s.
Yep. It’s a whole different ballgame. Just listen to the podcast with Brian Hoyer and Tom Curren.

Most important qualities are leadership and the ability to do progression reads in the face of a dicey pocket.

That’s why a gamble on Penix is enticing. He has both.

We trade back a few spots. Get the elite LT. And then can be in the running for Penix with a slight tradeup.

Absolutely at this moment in time he does lack touch, but layering passes can be taught. I feel like if he sits for a year or most of the 1st year and learns and practices well with the staff that he can reach a higher ceiling than JD. I feel the same about Maye, that he needs to sit and learn for awhile.

How did that work out for SF & Trey Lance

There are plenty of athletic first QB’s who never develop touch or other intangibles needed to be successful

Let's face it...unless any of us has watched ALL of his tape and all of his games, none of us knows what his potential is and we do not know how coachable he is or how motivated he is or smart he is.
The Patriots will have access to all of that data that none of us on this board have,
So we make snap judgments based on some 2 or 3 minute you Tube highlight video.

This kid has been on teh radar axs a top 2 pick for the past year and a half by numerous professional scouts and talent evaluators.
ALL OF A SUDDEN, media spins it that he sucks and he should be # 4 or 5 QB???
Do not trust anything you hear going up to the draft. False stories are being planted everywhere to affect the order of selection.

I like the kids size, his attitude and he does have a strong arm.
If Pats pick either him or Daniels or McCarthy..I will be OK with that and intend to give them at least 2-3 years to make the progression to starting QB.

If they do not pick a QB at 3...I think it's a huge mistake. This is their shot...shoot the shot

Yep. It’s a whole different ballgame. Just listen to the podcast with Brian Hoyer and Tom Curren.

Most important qualities are leadership and the ability to do progression reads in the face of a dicey pocket.

That’s why a gamble on Penix is enticing. He has both.

We trade back a few spots. Get the elite LT. And then can be in the running for Penix with a slight tradeup.
You know. I have not looked into Penix yet. I was turned off by injury history. Will give him a peek
I am in favor of LT over WR if no QB passes the sniff test

How did that work out for SF & Trey Lance

There are plenty of athletic first QB’s who never develop touch or other intangibles needed to be successful
I mean Lance started one year, he opted out of 2020 so didn't play football and was drafted in 2021. I feel like that was an apples-oranges kind of thing. You're right that there are many athletic guys that don't develop touch and JJ might not, but your comparison was trash. Do better.

I mean Lance started one year, he opted out of 2020 so didn't play football and was drafted in 2021. I feel like that was an apples-oranges kind of thing. You're right that there are many athletic guys that don't develop touch and JJ might not, but your comparison was trash. Do better.

Actually it was a good comparison of a guy who wasn’t projected to go into the first round & then his athletics shot him up the
Board before the draft

Your defense of McCarthy was lame, & did nothing to change my view

Only time will tell …..

Actually it was a good comparison of a guy who wasn’t projected to go into the first round & then his athletics shot him up the
Board before the draft

Your defense of McCarthy was lame, & did nothing to change my view

Only time will tell …..
I wasn't trying to change your mind because no one gives a **** about our opinions.

Bedard is comparing maye to bortles and saying he might need to sit for year or 2 .

Yikes!!
If there are real issues with the top QB candidates, I would hope our QB whisperers see this, and more.

If there are real issues with the top QB candidates, I would hope our QB whisperers see this, and more.
Bedard is not a qb whisperer and does not know his ass from his elbow. I trust Tim Hasselbacks opinion.
So what if he has to sit for a year or two
Worked well for Love

I have a feeling that Minnesota is going to throw a haul at someone to move up to get a QB. They have put alot into their Defense so far kinda like they plan on drating alot of offense. So I am curious if anyone would down to 11 and what it would take?

I would be hesitant to move out of FOMO on a QB.

I have a feeling that Minnesota is going to throw a haul at someone to move up to get a QB. They have put alot into their Defense so far kinda like they plan on drating alot of offense. So I am curious if anyone would down to 11 and what it would take?

I would be hesitant to move out of FOMO on a QB.
FOMO?

My grandaughter was looking over my shoulder and I was like look at me knowing the lingo.

She was not impressed as I am positive noone else is.

Sorry' it is Fear Of Missing Out

He can not afford to pass over a potential franchise QB. Its time to roll the dice a little.
We rolled the dice on a "franchise" QB at 15.
Not arguing, but scared we blow it on the most difficult position to evaluate...again.

It's cherry picking, but I found an article that said the bust rate for QBs picked with the first 3 picks was 70%.
You don't have to look hard to find QBs that didn't pan out with the #1 overall.

We rolled the dice on a "franchise" QB at 15.
Not arguing, but scared we blow it on the most difficult position to evaluate...again.

It's cherry picking, but I found an article that said the bust rate for QBs picked with the first 3 picks was 70%.
You don't have to look hard to find QBs that didn't pan out with the #1 overall.
We didn't roll the dice when we picked the only QB left at 15,

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back