PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drake Maye would be the IDEAL pick for the Patriots at #3

One criticism I heard was that he isn't reading the field and throws to his first read. Can't tell if that is true from highlights. Looks like he moves, keeps eyes down field. And has a very fast release. All while under pressure.

Daniels stands in a clean pocket forever and then throws to a receiver.
And that's why if we Draft him it's imperative that we surround him with a very Good OL and not a sieve.

This is looking more and more possible by the day.

I looked at 6 most recent mock drafts on google ( cbs, si, mel kiper,nfl.com and a couple other randoms) and 5 of 6 had Daniels to commanders. Obviously not the whole telll but it could be entering toss up territory with maye and Daniels. Though i prefer maye
I think the reason why most prefer Maye all have to do with his prototypical size If Daniels was built like CJ. Stroud there would be no comparison.

Last edited:
I think the reason why most prefer Maye all have to do with his prototypical size If Daniels was built like CJ. Stroud there would be no comparisons.
I get a Steve Grogan vibe from Maye. Grogan also lacked touch on short passes.

I was always upset at Pats receivers for letting the ball pop up into the air for a pick, and then learned it was because Grogan was throwing it too hard.

Are we fine with Grogan 2.0?

I was always upset at Pats receivers for letting the ball pop up into the air for a pick, and then learned it was because Grogan was throwing it too hard.

You go way back Gr8est I became a fan during the Eason years but liked Grogan much better. :)

To me, this says that he makes his receivers do all the hard work and one has to wonder if the off-target throws led to receivers getting creamed far too often.
Personally, I don't like Williams either as I think he's going to bust just like Leinhart and Darnold.
Here is a Chart that @BaconGrundleCandy posted about the QBs. I look at this chart and I don't see ANY WAY that Drake Maye should be considered in the top 10, let alone, top 3.

To me, this says that he makes his receivers do all the hard work and one has to wonder if the off-target throws led to receivers getting creamed far too often.
Personally, I don't like Williams either as I think he's going to bust just like Leinhart and Darnold.

View attachment 56732
These charts can be fools gold sometimes. Maye had more attempts at almost every down and distance and his best wr was a day 3 pick in Dez Walker. North Carolina had a new offensive line coach in both 2022 and 2023 so I question the continuity and talent up front. Players got to make plays but 57 attempts at the 11-15 range is a high number to skew the results. I think if he was probably throwing to Nabers or Brian Thomas the completion percentage would be a tad higher? Franklin or Odunze? All guys that are elite at their position and create separation with ease. Or maybe had the most respected run game in the country like Michigan? Team around you definitely equates to college success. Look at Williams in 22 when he had Addison and looked otherworldly vs 23. USC had a lot of problems this year.

I’m sure you can find examples of QB’s like him that did more with less, but as a coach or gm I’m looking at what the team, staff and scouts have to do to give him the coaching, scheme and players to make him successful. From all accounts he’s an A+ person and teammate. Has an NFL arm and plus plus scrambling ability. I think they can work with that.

Edited for Daniels and Williams mix up.

Last edited:
North Carolina had a new offensive line coach in both 2022 and 2023 so I question the continuity and talent up front.
The QB at South Carolina had a mess of an OL. After Corky, we have to ensure a QB can get it done with a messy pocket. Very perceptive of you, PM.

Yeah that’s where I’m at right now and on board with taking a high stab at one of them, regardless of mixed feelings when looking too closely at them one by one.
Yup you're gambling that your staff, FO etc can offset their concerns or weaknesses

For Williams it's adjusting to an actual NFL scheme and speed. They ran a mickey mouse offense that was simple and predictable. Basically some version of a slant, wheel route with a go Then you have things like this. This is a good idea of what I mean. You'll never see something like in the NFL. These splits are insane. He's a very talented kid but there are a lot of adjustments that will need to be made you might not think of initially or watching his highlight reel. And hoping him and his family aren't "too much" once he's signed.
Screenshot_20240301_102809_X.jpg

you're betting on Penix's health, ability to get the ball out quicker and your staff/fo ability to keep him clean with top tier protection

Betting that JJ will be able to handle more volume while being as efficient. Betting that he'll improve on deep stuff and isn't shook by clever disguise in the 2nd/3rd level post-snap

Betting on Maye's accuracy, mechanics and pressure to sack #'s improve.

Betting on Daniels not being a one hit wonder in 4 previous years. 5th year prospect that only flashed before playing behind a top tier OL and throwing to two top 20 prospects and other talents.

Betting a lot on Nix if you draft him 1st RD.
Interesting trying to recall a past year entering the draft where the top 3 picks were more anticipated (likely?) to all be at QB. Who knows if that actually happens, but seems it’s more common to be debates between player A vs. player B at the top, and not a third QB so close on their heels. 1983 and 2004 are well heralded for what those QBs did after the fact, but neither had three guys in the top 10, let alone 1-2-3.
2012 immediately came to mind. I know Tannehill had a decent amount of hype behind him. I had a high 2nd on Cousins so was surprised he didn't receive more hype that year. One of the more valuable picks recently. Above average starter for a decade + is a score after the 2nd RD. But yea that one obviously didn't go 1 2 3 but close. RT went top 10.
Is this year just the perfect storm of need, premium of position, and maybe less blue chip talent elsewhere than usual? And of course, a group of guys at the position who aren’t reaches by most standards. Curious your take and always appreciate your draft insight :thumbsup:
Big-time perfect storm. Yea, NEP highlight that by being in the top 3 for the first time in decades. Big-time perfect storm. These guys aren't saviors, right. But they're very good prospects. As always it's a gamble, like I mentioned above.

Pats have 0 excuses this year though. None. Our biggest areas of need are QB, WR & OL. Which also happen to be the strongest groups coming out this year in terms of position groups. All 3 are top heavy and deep. Best of the draft.

Very good - CB

Above average - DL

Weak - RB, Saf, LB, TE

So yea it's not the most well-rounded draft but there's plenty of talent. Particularly at premium positions (qb, wr, ol, dl, cb)

I don't trust Daniels whatsoever with those skinny toothpick legs. He's gonna get demolished in the NFL. Williams is an insane man baby snowflake and also not very big. If Maye falls to us at 3, I would take him. It's a gamble in any event but I like big QBs. If he turned into the next Josh Allen I would be ecstatic. Gotta roll the dice on this kid.

I don't trust Daniels whatsoever with those skinny toothpick legs. He's gonna get demolished in the NFL. Williams is an insane man baby snowflake and also not very big. If Maye falls to us at 3, I would take him. It's a gamble in any event but I like big QBs. If he turned into the next Josh Allen I would be ecstatic. Gotta roll the dice on this kid.
The statistical analysis done have all concluded the same thing: that bigger QB's get hurt more than smaller QB's, that running QB's get hurt less than pocket passers.
So not sure what the big angst is with his build and the fact he runs?

He just finished 2 years in the toughest conference, spent over 50 games starting at high level college, 1 concussion and 1 ankle sprain in all that time.

I love Maye and would love for him to fall but Daniels build equals injury is just not backed up by anything.

The statistical analysis done have all concluded the same thing: that bigger QB's get hurt more than smaller QB's, that running QB's get hurt less than pocket passers.
You can provide links for proof when ready.

Yup you're gambling that your staff, FO etc can offset their concerns or weaknesses

For Williams it's adjusting to an actual NFL scheme and speed. They ran a mickey mouse offense that was simple and predictable. Basically some version of a slant, wheel route with a go Then you have things like this. This is a good idea of what I mean. You'll never see something like in the NFL. These splits are insane. He's a very talented kid but there are a lot of adjustments that will need to be made you might not think of initially or watching his highlight reel. And hoping him and his family aren't "too much" once he's signed.
View attachment 56780

2012 immediately came to mind. I know Tannehill had a decent amount of hype behind him. I had a high 2nd on Cousins so was surprised he didn't receive more hype that year. One of the more valuable picks recently. Above average starter for a decade + is a score after the 2nd RD.
Which QB's do you think would be average plus starters for a decade? That QB would be fine with me. We would need to build the Offense around his skill set, and continue to emphasize the Defense, Special Teams and the running game.

View attachment 56780

Pats have 0 excuses this year though. None. Our biggest areas of need are QB, WR & OL. Which also happen to be the strongest groups coming out this year in terms of position groups. All 3 are top heavy and deep. Best of the draft.

Very good - CB

Above average - DL

Weak - RB, Saf, LB, TE

So yea it's not the most well-rounded draft but there's plenty of talent. Particularly at premium positions (qb, wr, ol, dl, cb)
Yup, hopefully we get our QB and the rest of the picks is as good as last year.

There were up to 5 different links, below are 2. I was in the boat of running QB's get hurt and don't ever want one, even Josh Allen I said would get hurt, did not want Jackson, would get hurt etc. Smaller guys have a lot going for them to avoid injury so I always thought guys like Gronk, always hurt, Drew Brees, Doug Flutie type not really. However, we never had a chance to draft a running QB before so I thought, apparently unlike some people, you should do actual research and not just assume. I was Shocked that there is ZERO evidence someone like Daniels would be more prone to be hurt. Even more shocking is he's actually less likely to get hurt based on statistical analysis. Even if you don't by the quality of the stats and the method, you still can't find anything to say smaller or running QB's get hurt more.
Football Outsiders moved since the post below, I'm sure you'll not Google it to find the article but the result is true. I found multiple links talking about that exact thing.

Small followup to my earlier post. Current concensus of expert mock drafters (based off their mock draft history) has us getting maye. 57% have commanders taking daniels and 42% have them taking maye.

The solution is simple, get receivers that can catch the damn ball.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back