PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drake Maye would be the IDEAL pick for the Patriots at #3

I did like cheesy also. Who do you think was the best fighter? Both Cashman and Hodge usually beat the crap out of anyone they fought
I loved Cheesy. Goalie with an attitude.
Most underrated fighter, because he did not do it often: Orr
You tested Orr once. You did not come back for seconds. No shirt grab. Fought with both hands

I think Pats are taking Maye at 3 if he is there.
If Daniel’s is there im not sure what the Pats will do.
If Maye is gone before #3 (hope that "Morale Victory" in Denver was worth it to those who were happy about it), then trade back with the Vikings for all you can get (even though next year's QB class is speculated to be underwhelming thus far). Jayden Daniels Is 2 inches taller than Lamar Jackson but weighs 5 pounds less (if you actually believe that he's 210 pounds to begin with) and he has no stronger of an arm than Mac Jones. He just had an extremely talented WR Corps and overall talented offense. Maye has all the tools you want in a modern QB and is young enough to sit for a year while he learns (and is properly coached-up) and the offensive talent is upgraded by the time his 2nd season rolls around. I know I'll get hate for this, oh well.

Several trade downs ... at least 3 IMO ... grab a 2025 1st round pick out of it.
I think we can easily trade down 3 times in the 1st round.
2 teams desperate for a high QB and WR pick ... 2 trades right there.

Veterans will be released in camps ... we can fill holes for a year with them.
and draft best players available. Over drafting is one reason for our demise
Over drafting is the demise of many sports teams leading to over paying for FA's.

I am skeptical of any QB being picked that early on... but have listened to Zolak talk quite a bit about him and he has pretty much convinced me he is the real deal.
I would prefer to stockpile picks and help replenish this Offense, but the Pats cannot pass up a QB who will be our future.

I loved Cheesy. Goalie with an attitude.
Most underrated fighter, because he did not do it often: Orr
You tested Orr once. You did not come back for seconds. No shirt grab. Fought with both hands

During the first half of his rookie season (the last one for the Original 6), Orr would get run-at by the other 5 teams at some point nearly every game…By season’s end however that wasn’t happening very much at all, because everyone had seen him up close & personal a few times by then and knew it wasn’t worth the hassle because he could dish it out as well as anyone else…

Sorry for the thread derailment again…

During the first half of his rookie season (the last one for the Original 6), Orr would get run-at by the other 5 teams at some point nearly every game…By season’s end however that wasn’t happening very much at all, because everyone had seen him up close & personal a few times by then and knew it wasn’t worth the hassle because he could dish it out as well as anyone else…

Sorry for the thread derailment again…
They also had Terry O to step in and take the penalty for anyone who tried.

I am skeptical of any QB being picked that early on... but have listened to Zolak talk quite a bit about him and he has pretty much convinced me he is the real deal.
I would prefer to stockpile picks and help replenish this Offense, but the Pats cannot pass up a QB who will be our future.
IMO, 4 of the 5 top QB's could be our QB of the future, with proper management and coaching, and the development of schemes and players that best support that QB. Yes, that might mean that the QB plays zero reps this season. I think that we have a set of coaches that can coach up Maye, Daniels, McCarthy or Penix while we have an improved record in 2024 for many reasons.

I EXPECT us to take our best shot with our 3rd pick and expect that QB to be our QB for the next 5 years. I hope the evaluations are right and that Daniels and Maye are much better than the rest, in which case we would pick whoever is there.

I would NOT be disappointed if we traded for 3 firsts and got a QB in the top 11. As folks have said, waiting until 11 may be risky. I could see us trading up from 11 to get McCarthy or Penix. Essentially. the chargers or the giants would get 11 and 23 from us instead of from MIN.

Jesus Merrill Hodge destroyed Maye.
“I studied him for two years. I watched every one of his games last year. His last game against [North Carolina State] was probably the most embarrassing display I’ve seen from a guy who is supposed to be an elite franchise quarterback. He’s erratic. He’s everywhere.”

1. I do not think he will be there. I suspect bears will take Maye and Commanders take Williams
2. Daniels is an intriguing prospect but do not think he is a good fit for Patriots as I doubt he will be a good cold weather and snow QB
3. I think Maye (like Josh Williams) will be more reliable in the snow and cold weather
4. I would even consider trading up to 2 or 1 to get Maye, even if it meant trading next years #1
5. I do not believe Baker Mayfield will leave Tampa Bay based on what he has said. That does not leave a whole lot in the free agent pool to go after if Pats decide they want o trade down and pick an OL
6. If they do trade down I would not want to go lower than 7 and would want them to take Alt or the Penn State guy
7. Picking a WR in the top 10 when you do not have a QB or an OL is unwise
8. I think Bears will surprise everyone and take Maye at 1
9. Go NINERS!!!!
I agree with much of this, but trading a #1 to move up a place or two would be foolish (Point 4), particularly for a team with as many gaps as this team has.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back