PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DraftTek - Analysis of past drafts

You have to realize the blind defenders here will actually argue the Patriots have been good at drafting wide receiver. Talk about bizarro world.

The Patriots have sucked at drafting from 2013-now ever since McDaniels came back. The Patriots were awesome at drafting from 2009-2012 when McDaniels was gone, go back and look. Our WR and CB drafting system is broken because we idiotically focus on a player's height (WTF), thanks to Caserio and McDaniels changing the system in 2004.

You have to realize the blind defenders here will actually argue the Patriots have been good at drafting wide receiver. Talk about bizarro world.

The Patriots have sucked at drafting from 2013-now ever since McDaniels came back. The Patriots were awesome at drafting from 2009-2012 when McDaniels was gone, go back and look. Our WR and CB drafting system is broken because we idiotically focus on a player's height (WTF), thanks to Caserio and McDaniels changing the system in 2004.

Do you see us drafting any wide receivers in this upcoming draft?

As always, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Footballoutsiders did an analysis that compared the ratios of approximate value to draft pick value for each team. The results reinforce both the notion that Belichick sucks at drafting, and that he is a model for value shrewdness.

First, the bad. The Patriots 2017 score is the worst among all teams from 2011 - 2019. No surprise here. Additionally, 2018 is poor, and 2019 is looking really bad.

Now the good, the Patriots had top 3 scores in 2015 and 2016, and were above average in 2013 and 2014.

Back to the truth, Belichick has undeniably botched the first round of the draft. It could be argued that his best usage of first round picks from 2013 on has been to trade them. On the flip side, the amount of talent found from rounds 3 - 6 has been impressive (Harmon, Ryan, White, Flowers, Mason, Thuney, Mitchell pre-injury, Winovich, Harris).

The real failure appears to be the 2017 - 2019 drafts. That is why the roster is in the position it is in now. This appears to mirror 2006 - 2008, which the team similarly botched. It only takes a couple of good drafts to make you forget about the bad ones.

As always, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Footballoutsiders did an analysis that compared the ratios of approximate value to draft pick value for each team. The results reinforce both the notion that Belichick sucks at drafting, and that he is a model for value shrewdness.

First, the bad. The Patriots 2017 score is the worst among all teams from 2011 - 2019. No surprise here. Additionally, 2018 is poor, and 2019 is looking really bad.

Now the good, the Patriots had top 3 scores in 2015 and 2016, and were above average in 2013 and 2014.

Back to the truth, Belichick has undeniably botched the first round of the draft. It could be argued that his best usage of first round picks from 2013 on has been to trade them. On the flip side, the amount of talent found from rounds 3 - 6 has been impressive (Harmon, Ryan, White, Flowers, Mason, Thuney, Mitchell pre-injury, Winovich, Harris).

The real failure appears to be the 2017 - 2019 drafts. That is why the roster is in the position it is in now. This appears to mirror 2006 - 2008, which the team similarly botched. It only takes a couple of good drafts to make you forget about the bad ones.

someone posted earlier that the guys we are signing now free agency are filling holes from the bungled drafts of 2017-19.

Do you see us drafting any wide receivers in this upcoming draft?

Given our recent signings I do not. The only 2 I would think about it , would be if Chase or Devonta Smith fell. In my mind we have restocked the cupboard at TE and WR. I think we still need a classic starting 3-4 NT (Godchaux isn't exactly this imo) and our overall front7 defense I'm still not convinced we are elite at stopping the run. So Parsons, Paye, Zaven Collins. The only offensive players I'd take at 15 would be Chase, Devonta, or Fields if available.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back