PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Rumors

I'm not a big Bridgewater guy but now that we're into the "Replace Mallett with Brady's Eventual Successor" timeline, fallers like this could interest us at the end of the first round if we really like the right guy.

I really like Bridgewater so I'd be all over that if we were a couple more years down the line. However, if he falls to us in the second (remember Nassib and Barkley?), I'd love that pick.

I think the QBs are going to fall in the draft. Whilst the fall might not be quite as precipitous as last year, I think the quality at the top of the draft will mean teams like the Jags and Vikings will go for a position player and wait on a QB until the 2nd.

Edit: I also think Hageman goes top 20.

I think the QBs are going to fall in the draft. Whilst the fall might not be quite as precipitous as last year, I think the quality at the top of the draft will mean teams like the Jags and Vikings will go for a position player and wait on a QB until the 2nd.

Edit: I also think Hageman goes top 20.

If QBs begin to tumble, 29 might just be the sweet spot for teams picking early in the second to jump up and grab "value". I'd love to see it, as of now none of the players projected to be available at 29 have me tickled.

Blake Annen, a TE, ran a 4.42 ? Holy Schnikes, is this a April Fools joke ?

Yep! Unfortunately, the "gotcha" comes when you look at his game film.

Manziel visiting the Pats. :mad:

Manziel visiting the Pats. :mad:
I love Johnny. Seriously.

We won't be drafting him but the timeline on Brady's career means a rookie this year could be the long term replacement so we have to be ready in case a QB we like drops. The one that could this year is Bridgewater, not Johnny.

NOT saying we need to draft a QB. But we need to be ready and prepared in case an Aaron Rodgers scenario ever develops.

Draft gossip from Tony Pauline:

- Earlier this week I reported that insiders informed me the Minnesota Vikings hope to select one of the higher rated linebackers early in round one (Khalil Mack being their preference) then grab their quarterback in round two. Zach Mettenberger being their signal caller of choice. Since then more sources have confirmed my report, verifying the team is high on Mettenberger who they believe is a perfect fit for Norv Turner’s system. Depending on how he does at pro-day next week many question if Mettenberger will even be available to Minnesota in round two.

- Who could take Mettenberger before the Vikings are called on the clock in round two? The Cleveland Browns, that’s who. While many have the Browns taking a quarterback with the fourth pick of the draft, most believe they’ll nab a signal caller with either the 26th or 35th pick of the process. If they don’t go quarterback in round one where does Cleveland look? Most believe it will be offensive tackle. Several sources tell me the team is hot and cold on Mitchell Schwartz and will look for an upgrade. In fact I’m told the Browns made a play for Eugene Monroe when he was on the trading block. Many claim “you don’t draft a right tackle with a top ten pick” but looking at the versatility and interchangeability of the tackle prospects excepted to be available at fourth pick its understandable why any team would go that route.

- Back to Zach Mettenberger. I’m told its very unlikely he’ll do any of the shuttles, 3-cone, etc, next week at pro-day but will complete a full passing workout. In recent weeks Mettenberger has had no issues on sprint outs or roll outs in preparation for his workout.

- Word in scouting circles has Dakota Dozier of Furman building momentum for himself recently. Scouts point to way Dozier stepped up against better competition the past two seasons, specifically mentioning the game film against LSU and Clemson. I’m told Dozier has had private workouts with the Carolina Panthers and Jacksonville Jaguars.

- Thus far the reviews from private workouts have been positive for Logan Thomas. For example, last week when the Arizona Cardinals worked him out I’m told he was accurate on all his throws including dropping a few in the bucket deep downfield to end the workout. From a physical and character stand point Thomas continues to impress teams.

- The other prospect impressing scouts in these workouts is DJ Coles, who benefits from being the practice receiver for Logan Thomas. Coles is physically impressive and very much looks the part. He’s been looking sharp since pro-day. Injuries stunted Coles development but go back and watch his 2011 tape if you have the availability and you’ll see the makings of a legitimate NFL receiver.

- Scouts are still buzzing over the performance of Ben Gardner during Stanford’s pro-day. Teams believe Gardner could develop into a Jarret Johnson type of player, i.e. a college defensive end with decent size who’ll stand up over tackle in a 3-4 at the next level.

- I’m told Johnson’s present squad, the San Diego Chargers, worked out Akron offensive lineman Jarrod Pughsley today. Pughsley, who lined up primarily at tackle for the Zips, is a fairly athletic blocker who projects to guard at the next level.

?14 Draft: News/Notes/Visits & Workouts

A lot of noise of Tennessee taking Louis Nix in the first as they make the change to a 3-4, following the Bill Parcells dictim of the severely limited number of 330+ pound athletes available in the world.

A lot of noise of Tennessee taking Louis Nix in the first as they make the change to a 3-4, following the Bill Parcells dictim of the severely limited number of 330+ pound athletes available in the world.

I hope they do take him. In past years, I think Irish Chocolate would be seen as the successor to Wilfork around these parts. But the way the NFL has evolved, I don't think we want that type of player anymore. We need a more mobile DL who can play multiple techniques and has some pass rush ability/ability to collapse the pocket and/or bat down balls.

Perhaps Hageman or Tuitt fits what we need most in a DL at the moment and going forward.

If I were the Texans, I would trade #1 to the Falcons for #6, #37, and a 2015 first round pick, take Khali Mack at #6, make a selection with #33, and trade #37 to the Patriots for Mallett. This gives them one season with Mallett and if O’Brien believes he can be a franchise QB then it makes sense (if he does not then I would not expect it to happen). If Mallett fails, they have two first round picks in 2015 and could move up to draft one of the top QBs Mariota, or Winston, and let Mallett walk. Best case Mallett succeeds and they can use the extra first round pick next season to add to an already improving team, worst case they draft a franchise QB in 2015 and they lost the #37 pick that was not their original pick anyway.

I like your idea, I think it could be dangerous if you are the Texans though, because in the most recent mocks Mack could go as early as 2 to the Rams or 3 to the Jaguars. Seems like they are leaning toward taking Clowney now.

I could see Rams going with Mack at 2 and Donald at 13.. Imagine the front 7 for the NeXT 10 years or something :eek:

I could see Rams going with Mack at 2 and Donald at 13.. Imagine the front 7 for the NeXT 10 years or something :eek:

I could certainly see both but Donald to the Rams is one of my favourite picks right now.

The pick 13 is the joker really, and you can combo it as you want. But CB is almost as Deep as WR - So if they going with Mack, Donald and a CB ( SJB?).. Then they have the rest of the draft for a WR + OL... If thats the case, then i could see 9ers become 4th in NFC W o_O

The pick 13 is the joker really, and you can combo it as you want. But CB is almost as Deep as WR - So if they going with Mack, Donald and a CB ( SJB?).. Then they have the rest of the draft for a WR + OL... If thats the case, then i could see 9ers become 4th in NFC W o_O
There's been a lot of suggestion that they will go QB at some stage, probably from round 3 onwards.

Jason McIntyre ‏@jasonrmcintyre12 mins
More intriguing QB: Ryan Mallett of Pats or anyone in 2014 draft? Lots of NFL rumblings that Mallett gets dealt on draft weekend.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
Back