PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Donovan McPuke to get his jersey retired

Froob

Independent Investigator & pliable af
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Eagles just announced they will retire Donovan McNabb's #5 this season during a halftime presentation when they host Andy Reid and the Kansas City Chiefs. Mcnabb was a good qb and actually did fairly well in the playoffs(only a single one & done) 9-9 record but jersey retired? Uh...:eek:

When you're a franchise that has experienced almost as much futility as the Jets, it makes sense to retire the jersey of one of your more productive quarterbacks in your miserable history.

In a sport like football, which has the biggest roster size, AND restrictions on what numbers can be applied to what positions, teams should be MORE stingy about retiring numbers. McNabb, while a nice NFL player, doesn't deserve this IMO.

59% Comp pct.
234 TDs
117 INTs
37,726 yards
223.2 yards per game
2.2INT % (3rd best to Brady and Rodgers)
85.6 qbr

Mcnabb's their best QB in franchise history and a pretty damn good one. He's not HOF material, but a pretty underrated QB that took a team to a lot of NFCCGs and a superbowl.

For comparison, what about a guy who's in everyone's top 10 QB list and most people's top 5.

John Elway

56.9 comp pct
300 TDs
226 INTs
51,475 yards
220 yards per game
3.1INT %
79.9 qbr

Mcnabb doesn't get his due, he was shadowed by Brady and Manning his whole career.

How does McNabb get his number retired and Randall Cunningham doesn't?

Retiring numbers is stupid anyway.

I'm an SU grad, so naturally I'm a McNabb fan. He deserved better treatment than he typically received, so I'm glad for him to receive this honor. Superb QB. Not a HOFer by any stretch, but really good. Most teams would have loved to have had him under center. Fortunately, the Pats are one of those that wouldn't. :)

Borderline HOFer yet he doesn't deserve to get his number retired? Not every franchise gets a Tom Brady patsfans.com

In a sport like football, which has the biggest roster size, AND restrictions on what numbers can be applied to what positions, teams should be MORE stingy about retiring numbers. McNabb, while a nice NFL player, doesn't deserve this IMO.

Yup. And I'd best at least half of Philly fans would like to bury his jersey somewhere, too.

I'm actually a bit surprised how many numbers the Pats have retired.

New England Patriots - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm thinking Brady's 12 is a lock to join the list. Beyond that, from this current era, off the top of my head, Bruschi, T Brown and Vince W seem the most likely candidates.

Also, as an aside: Grogan's number isn't retired, but has there been a #14 since? (Edit: yeah, um, sorry about that Zoltan. Brain freeze.)

Yup. And I'd best at least half of Philly fans would like to bury his jersey somewhere, too.

I'm thinking Brady's 12 is a lock to join the list. Beyond that, from this current era, off the top of my head, Bruschi, T Brown and Vince W seem the most likely candidates.

Also, as an aside: Grogan's number isn't retired, but has there been a #14 since?

ugh, Zoltan Mesko wears 14 now...

ugh, Zoltan Mesko wears 14 now...

Hah! Ugh is right. 15 yards for laziness on my part, and a one day suspension for stupidity (suspended due to extenuating circumstances, ie I'm on vacation and it's, you know, after 12 ...)

Edit: If I edit my post, will you delete yours? Kidding ... ;)

59% Comp pct.
234 TDs
117 INTs
37,726 yards
223.2 yards per game
85.6 qbr

Mcnabb's their best QB in franchise history and a pretty damn good one. He's not HOF material, but a pretty underrated QB that took a team to a lot of NFCCGs and a superbowl.

For comparison, what about a guy who's in everyone's top 10 QB list and most people's top 5.

John Elway

56.9 comp pct
300 TDs
226 INTs
51,475 yards
220 yards per game
3.1INT %
79.9 qbr

Mcnabb doesn't get his due, he was shadowed by Brady and Manning his whole career.

Elway won two rings. It's not the end all be all (see Marino), but it makes a huge difference in the NFL.

Borderline HOFer yet he doesn't deserve to get his number retired? Not every franchise gets a Tom Brady patsfans.com

If every "Borderline" HOFer got their number retired, teams would run out of numbers. I also disagree that McNabb is a borderline HOFer. I think he was an above average NFL QB. The standard HAS to be higher than that.

He has as many playoff wins as Peyton Manning in less games. Though I think that says more about Peyton than it does about McNabb.

59% Comp pct.
234 TDs
117 INTs
37,726 yards
223.2 yards per game
85.6 qbr

Best all-time in Philadelphia? Norm Van Brocklin, Sonny Jurgenson, Ron Jaworksi and Randall Cunningham have a claim to a top five spot for sure. There's there's always Roman Gabriel, the human cigar store Indian, and the unforgettable Norm Snead, the definition of the word "journeyman."

I'd rank them 1) Van Brocklin, 2) Jaworski, 3) McNabb, 4) Cunningham, and 5) Jurgenson. Different eras makes these comparisons hard.

He's got a shot at the NFL HOF. #17 all-time in yards passing and ahead of HOFers Sonny Jurgensen (a former Eagle), Steve Young, Troy Aikman, Terry Bradshaw, Jim Kelly and Bob Griese. Not bad. McNabb threw to lesser receiving corps than a lot of those guys. He's also #7 all-time in rushing by QBs.

Neither Cunningham nor Jaworski are in the HOF. That's a bit of a surprise.

He has as many playoff wins as Peyton Manning in less games. Though I think that says more about Peyton than it does about McNabb.

what he said right here ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Peyton Manning might be the most over rated athlete in professional sports history.

Yes Peyton has been a very good QB but based on the amount of times he has gone one and done with elite teams, no way he is even top 10 all time much less "the best ever" like some say.

I think McNabb deserves it. He was quite impressive in the first half of the 2000s but was in Brady and Manning's shadows during a period of AFC dominance. He appeared in 4 NFC Championship Games and went 1-3 in those losing once to the eventual SB champions Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and the other two to Panthers and Cardinals teams playing out of their minds. McNabb then lost a nail biter versus us in the Super Bowl. Doesn't Phil Sims have a similar record in NFC CGs?

It's a tough league to win it all in and McNabb's Eagles had the most sustained success any NFC East team has had since the 90s Cowboys. And don't even get me started on all the crap Philly fans gave him... Philly fans are just a bunch of punks.

I'm shocked that Bruce's jersey is retired but Andre's #56 isn't. I'm not denigrating Bruce Armstrong, but if you told me to pick one of those players to put on an all-time team I would pick Tippett every time.

Don't the fans hate him? That should be an interesting ceremony to watch

Also, as an aside: Grogan's number isn't retired, but has there been a #14 since?

Brady should be the only jersey retired of the Belichick era, IMO.

Brady should be the only jersey retired of the Belichick era, IMO.

I know he predates Belichick, but if Vinatieri had stayed with the team I'd say retire #4 as well. But that's it.

I love Vince, I love Tedy, I love Troy. But I also loved Fryar and Coates and Vincent Brown and Ty Law.

You just can't retire all the numbers you'd like to retire.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back