PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does Patterson Replace Amendola?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The numbers you're providing don't mean squat really. Let me know when Patterson and/or Dorsett make some big catches in big situations, just like Amendola did many times.
The numbers I provided mean his production.
We will see what happens.

No, since Patterson is an entirely different player than Amendola is. Edelman fills in for last year's Amendola role. We need to be looking it who can fill the Cooks role if we're looking to mirror last year's offense. In that case, we're looking at Phillip Dorsett to fill in for Cooks. Patterson is a different type of player than anyone we had last year - but that doesn't mean he'll be awesome.

Andy is not talking about replacing Dolas exact role on the field but his targets and yards (ie production). Nobody sane would talk about putting CP into the exact same plays and routes as Dola.

Dola was as clutch as they come when it mattered. That’s the hardest thing to replace. Patterson I feel could be more of a cooks replacement. Quiet excited to see him play a proper game with Brady. Think we could have all sort of looks with Patterson, Jules, gronk, White, Hogan, Sony, Rex... could be an interesting offensive this year

As of now not sold on Patterson, otoh was not sold on Amendola early on either.. stay tuned folks it is about to get interesting.

The NEP have always believed they could "coach up" any mediocre player and turn them into a very serviceable player. If he can do what he did in Minnesota in '16 (52 catches) will be fine with that, but there is no body of work to help assess how he did in the playoffs.

The numbers I provided mean his production.
We will see what happens.

Do you mean his production in terms of pure catches/yards? Or his catches/yards relative to the offense as a whole (i.e. 10-15% of the pass game)

Since the offense looks likely to take a step back, there will likely be fewer catches/yards this year so the #4 WR probably won't get Amendola type numbers - unless he gets a lot of work while Edelman is serving his PED suspension

Relative to the offense as a whole, Patterson will probably be a smaller piece of the overall numbers than Amendola was. I expect a heavier work load for Hogan, White and Gronk.

I think there's also a chance Patterson is cut before January. He's shown very little as a WR and the Pats might be able to get better receivers this weekend or during the season. Tough to keep him around purely for his kick returning

Like others have already stated. Patterson might replace Danny's production, but I very much doubt he will replace Danny's value in being at the right spot at the right time.

Do you mean his production in terms of pure catches/yards? Or his catches/yards relative to the offense as a whole (i.e. 10-15% of the pass game)

Since the offense looks likely to take a step back, there will likely be fewer catches/yards this year so the #4 WR probably won't get Amendola type numbers - unless he gets a lot of work while Edelman is serving his PED suspension

Relative to the offense as a whole, Patterson will probably be a smaller piece of the overall numbers than Amendola was. I expect a heavier work load for Hogan, White and Gronk.

I think there's also a chance Patterson is cut before January. He's shown very little as a WR and the Pats might be able to get better receivers this weekend or during the season. Tough to keep him around purely for his kick returning
You had to go and throw out my perfectly good "Agree" rating for this post by throwing in that last paragraph, didn't you?

I don't think Patterson is cut before January. I'm not sure they'll be able to find anyone better (internally or externally) as a #4 WR

Why would the offense take a step back?

Have you been paying attention? Patterson has been productive in the preseason games.

For people considering Patterson WR4, the question changes to does Dorsett replace the production?
Perhaps I should have said WR3. Still not sure which of the 2 will emerge as the 3, but I think it’s going to be Patterson

Not in the route tree but hopefully he can from a yardage and TD perspective. Patterson has always been a sloppy route runner (putting it kindly) so I don't see how he'll have Brady's trust on crossers, slants, posts, etc. But on the quick hitches and screens, he'll be effective. Get the ball in his hands and let him run in space with it. 'Dola had command of basically every route in the route tree in this offense. Patterson simply hasn't shown that he's a crisp enough route runner to have that kind of command and trust with Brady. I've said it before, but I believe that's the reason for the reports that Brady wasn't looking his way at all throughout portions of camp. Brady needs a certain level of trust in a receiver to be where he needs to be on routes going across the middle of the field (or else they'll turn into turnovers - See Chad Ochocinco against Buffalol in 2011) and if he can't trust you to be where you need to be, you're not getting the ball.

But yes, from a pure yardage and TD standpoint, Patterson has shown that he can do what Amendola has given us through the regular season (exception being last year). But he won't be running all of Amendola's routes.

In some ways, CP might be more impressive (perhaps a huge return or two, the big homerun trick play). What I very much doubt - and it has been brought up by several posters - is that CP can be as big as DA in the playoffs. That guy did so many things at crucial spots in the most important games, that he cemented his legacy around these parts forever.

All that said : CP has already shown enough to suggest he might exceed my expectations. He is the guy (originally) I thought might be cut. But the more WRs he outlasted, the more I figured BB thinks this guy is going to help the team win games.

The numbers you're providing don't mean squat really. Let me know when Patterson and/or Dorsett make some big catches in big situations, just like Amendola did many times.

It's called "Being Clutch"... We will see if Patterson is a clutch player......or gets the dropsies in those situations.....I like what he brings to the table overall....

Aside from his role in the offense, what's interesting to me is how little of him we've seen as a KR in the preseason so far. It makes me wonder if A) They kind of know what they have with him there, and so they want to see other guys and let him focus on learning the offense, and/or B) He's this year's KR version (bolded for emphasis so one confuses what I'm saying here) of Randy Moss, in that week 1 we spring him on the Texans with no prior tape to see how he's handled the new kick rules.

Because sideways passes work great on third and 8....

???

Sometimes they do, yes. Not every time, but what DOES work great every time?

Because sideways passes work great on third and 8....

Sooooooo.........there's yet to be a successful RB or WR screen on 3rd and long in NFL history? I could have sworn I had seen some.

It's called "Being Clutch"... We will see if Patterson is a clutch player......or gets the dropsies in those situations.....I like what he brings to the table overall....
DA was the target on almost every critical 3rd and 4th down pass in the playoffs the past few years. "Clutch" is really synonymous with "trust", meaning that Brady always knew what DA would do in a given situation. That level of syncing doesn't happen overnight so I don't see a comparison between these 2 guys. However I'm a lot higher on Patterson than when I first heard we acquired him.

It will be very interesting to see how things unfold the first 4 weeks.

I would suspect we will see some adjustments with respect to routes and schemes as I don't see CP or PD as having the same type of skills as Amendola or Edelman. As Chad O'Shea said in an interview yesterday, they really are designed to take advantage of players' skillsets.

I also think and this is probably even more important is will Brady have enough confidence in these 2 to target them consistently. The preseason would suggest yes but with limited game planning, it's tough to make any conclusions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3