PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does New England want to trade up to ten?

Status
Not open for further replies.

furley

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I could believe it if it were for Jones, not for Kerrigan. I mean which team would select Kerrigan at ten?

One team that is said to be eyeing the 10th spot is the New England Patriots, who have two first-round picks and two second-round picks. The Patriots might have their eye on an edge rusher -- like Ryan Kerrigan of Purdue -- or a receiver like Julio Jones of Alabama.

Redskins eyeing a move back - CBSSports.com

I could believe it if it were for Jones, not for Kerrigan. I mean which team would select Kerrigan at ten?

Redskins eyeing a move back - CBSSports.com

That's the critical question. Along with, "Which team would select Kerrigan at #11?" HOU? With two potentially solid 34 DEs and Barwin/Cushing at OLB? Especially when their biggest defensive needs might be DB or NT?

So, which team would select Kerrigan at #12? #13? How far do we really need to jump up to get ahead of some team who's likely to take him?

Also, what prospects would the Skins (or the Texans, or whoever) be likely to miss out on by trading down?

I could see the Pats trade up to 10 for Watt, Jordan or Quinn.

I have the Pats trading up to 10 for Watt in my mock. Makes too much sense with every team from 11-16 considering him.

I don't see this ever happening. Once again, it is the lying season. The trade to #10 would cost us #60, plus one of our 4th rounders. It is more likely that we would trade up a spot, or two, for a Belichek target. More likely, we would trade down a couple of spots. Look at the history of picks here guys....

Now that it's been reported in the media during the silly season of rumor and speculation, I'm calling my bookie to bet the bank roll.

I don't know why, but for some reason I see as trading up to Dallas' #9....

We gave them Dez Bryant last year..... Jerry owes Robert a favor. There has to be a player HAS to have at #9. Question is: who? Quinn? Watt? Prince?

And what do we have to give up to get there? 33? seems steep to me....

It's just a feeling though. Fully expecting the inevitable move back from BB!

Don't tease me, this is what I've wanted for Juuuuuuuuulio for a long time. Unless they think the DE/OLB would be a stud I wouldn't go in that direction as there's depth there. I shudder to think of the size of our offense if we had Julio, Gronk and Crumpler out there together. And the first two are athletic also, them plus Welker and Branch would be awesome for 2011. For 2012, Jones, Price, Gronk, Hernandez and Tate would be young and talented.

Quinn makes sense... However, there isn't a team selecting before ten that would select either Watt or Jordan, nor at picks eleven through fifteen. Unless you're convinced that Houston would select Watt. But, what if they select Amukamara instead? Or, what if Tennessee passes on Fairley? I can see Houston taking him [Fairley] at eleven.

I could see it for Prince or Julio bc the drop off is pretty sharp at WR and CB and it would move them ahead of the Texans (Prince) or Rams (Julio). Not so sharp a drop at DE. But I dont think anyone thinks our biggest need is at CB or WR, which is why I dont see it happening.

#11 Texans - Need a CB, NT, S and OLB and only have 3 premium picks to get them. If Amukamara is gone, they should be moving down.

#12 Vikings - QB is obvious but A.Smith would make sense as well. They are missing a 3rd and if they aren't planning on re-signing their own, that could hurt. Possible trading partner but won't be desperate.

#13 Lions - CB is a top need so they would be looking at J.Smith and B.Harris. Both reaches at this point. OT is possible but they could be had a little later as well. Unless Amukamara or T.Smith slip, they could be looking to go back slightly.

#14 Rams - Weapons for Bradford. Green and Jones almost certainly gone. They could stick and go for DT but they don't look to be keen on staying at #14.

#15 Fins - RB makes sense but you can get them anytime. Lots of needs and no 2nd round pick. This is the landing spot for teams (Chargers?) looking to get a DE ahead of Jax and NE.

#16 Jags - DE is their only need that makes sense here. Unlikely they are moving anywhere.

I don't see the Pats moving to #10 but I can see #11 (for #17/#60) or #13 (for #17/#74) being targets. The Bolts and Pats are likely looking at the same players and I am 100% certain SD will have an agreement in place to move up to #15 for #18/#89.

If the #60 is the cost and the player they really want is there then I certainly hope they do it. Sacrificing the #60 for a prospect they really think can contribute is nothing given they have the #74 and can trade down with either the #28 or #33, which pretty much everyone agrees is going to be dealt. Guessing who they would move up for is almost impossible in this draft as the standouts are really lacking in that kind of attention. Bowers, Quinn, Green, Jones, and Amukamara would make the most sense to me, and i think they would wait on Watt, Kerrigan, Castonza and the rest. I don't know about others but I have almost no sense at all of how this first round is going to fall and there could well be the player they wanted most in the top ten sitting there when the redskins are looking to deal, if so I'd bet on Belichik making the deal and making up the extra second with the #27 or #33. The ultimate purpose of stocking picks is flexibility and they have all they need to move wherever they want for the players they want.

In accordance to the NFL Draft Pick Value Chart, If New England desired to trade up for the tenth pick, trading the seventeenth and twenty-eighth picks or the seventeenth and thirty-third picks are too much. And trading the twenty-eighth, thirty-third and sixtieth picks are too much as well.

Hmmm... And the twenty-eighth and thirty-third picks are slightly less than equal value.

Nonetheless, in my mind I don't want the tenth pick. Because I doubt Watt is on New England's board due to him having Tom Condon as his agent, and Jordan could be available at seventeen depending on what Jacksonville does.

NFL Draft Pick Value Calculator

I doubt Amukamara would be in our sights. Are we replacing Meriweather with him? There isn't enough value in this draft to make a move for a guy who can't cover effectively....

I'd say a move up to ten would be to entertain drafting guys like Watt, Kerrigan, Quinn, or Smith.

Kerrigan doesn't get a lot of respect on these message boards, but NFL coaches will look at his production, his work ethic, and his attitude and say that's a safe pick. He's not the kind of guy you'd expect to disappoint.

We are all just speculating here. We will have to just take comfort in what little we DO know.

If BB has his eye on someone he really wants and he falls into a reasonable range, the Pats have the ammo to go up an get him. (I'd say 9-16) If the player they want is gone, then in all likelihood they will begin the frustrating process of trading back until they get comfortable with the value of the "next" tier of players.

Now I'm hoping that BB has identified that player and will move to get him. I hope he won't settle for a large number of "solid pro prospects", and will go get the guy HE thinks is the "impact" player in our range.

The problem is.....who is BB's binky? One can only guess. The last time I got it right in the first round when the Pats went to the podium, was Vince Wilfork, so that makes me 1-10 in the BB era.

Now for the ultimate question- WHO is THAT guy. I know who I'd like, but thank god, I'm not making the decision. I just know the guy I was hoping for last year, walks in his sleep (and not very well I might add) and didn't play a down.

I guess in some perverse way we are supposed to take comfort with the notion that regardless of who we THINK it is, or even who we HOPE it is....it probably won't be. Ah me.

In accordance to the NFL Draft Pick Value Chart, If New England desired to trade up for the tenth pick, trading the seventeenth and twenty-eighth picks or the seventeenth and thirty-third picks are too much. And trading the twenty-eighth, thirty-third and sixtieth picks are too much as well.

Hmmm... And the twenty-eighth and thirty-third picks are slightly less than equal value.

Nonetheless, in my mind I don't want the tenth pick. Because I doubt Watt is on New England's board due to him having Tom Condon as his agent, and Jordan could be available at seventeen depending on what Jacksonville does.

Moving up for #10 means using the #17 plus, and using the #60 with the #17 leaves only 50 points between the two and that is an easy difference to make up. Move to #10 for the player they really want and then they can drop back with either #28 or #33 to get back the 2nd they gave up to move up.

The easy out would have just been to say trade 17 and 60 and you get 10.

We are all just speculating here. We will have to just take comfort in what little we DO know.

If BB has his eye on someone he really wants and he falls into a reasonable range, the Pats have the ammo to go up an get him. (I'd say 9-16) If the player they want is gone, then in all likelihood they will begin the frustrating process of trading back until they get comfortable with the value of the "next" tier of players.

Now I'm hoping that BB has identified that player and will move to get him. I hope he won't settle for a large number of "solid pro prospects", and will go get the guy HE thinks is the "impact" player in our range.

The problem is.....who is BB's binky? One can only guess. The last time I got it right in the first round when the Pats went to the podium, was Vince Wilfork, so that makes me 1-10 in the BB era.

Now for the ultimate question- WHO is THAT guy. I know who I'd like, but thank god, I'm not making the decision. I just know the guy I was hoping for last year, walks in his sleep (and not very well I might add) and didn't play a down.

I guess in some perverse way we are supposed to take comfort with the notion that regardless of who we THINK it is, or even who we HOPE it is....it probably won't be. Ah me.

Well, he likes team captains, overachievers, and guys who can produce. I'd say Watt and Kerrigan are very high on his list.

I doubt Amukamara would be in our sights. Are we replacing Meriweather with him? There isn't enough value in this draft to make a move for a guy who can't cover effectively....

I'd say a move up to ten would be to entertain drafting guys like Watt, Kerrigan, Quinn, or Smith.

Kerrigan doesn't get a lot of respect on these message boards, but NFL coaches will look at his production, his work ethic, and his attitude and say that's a safe pick. He's not the kind of guy you'd expect to disappoint.

That's what makes me more and more on the Kerrigan Bandwagon. Its not enough to make judgments on what the players are right now. The personnel department has to make judgments on where they will be in year 3,4 and beyond.

I'd be very comfortable, from what I understand about Kerrigan, that HE will be the kind of guy who will do the work to become better. If in his rookie year he doesn't set the edge well, I'm pretty sure that by the time he's done with the Pats it will be something he does well.

That's why some of these guys start out as UDFAs and eventually make it. Its because they work hard and take the coaching they get to heart. They simply are a lot better than when they came into the league.

Tom Brady might have had a lot of confidence in himself when he got here, but he CERTAINLY was ready to get on the field his first year. If he had it would have been a disaster. He physically wasn't ready.

That's why I'd spend BOTH the 28 and 60 and whatever we'd have to throw in to get that done to get both Watt/Jordan and Kerrigan I think we can get to 10 and 15 to get that done.

Last edited:
That's what makes me more and more on the Kerrigan Bandwagon. Its not enough to make judgments on what the players are right now. The personnel department has to make judgments on where they will be in year 3,4 and beyond.

I'd be very comfortable, from what I understand about Kerrigan, that HE will be the kind of guy who will do the work to become better. If in his rookie year he doesn't set the edge well, I'm pretty sure that by the time he's done with the Pats it will be something he does well.

That's why some of these guys start out as UDFAs and eventually make it. Its because they work hard and take the coaching they get to heart. They simply are a lot better than when they came into the league.

Tom Brady might have had a lot of confidence in himself when he got here, but he CERTAINLY was ready to get on the field his first year. If he had it would have been a disaster. He physically wasn't ready.

That's why I'd spend BOTH the 28 and 60 and whatever we'd have to throw in to get that done to get both Watt/Jordan and Kerrigan I think we can get to 10 and 15 to get that done.

Watt and Kerrigan are my two favorites. They are both the entire package. They have the athleticism/explosiveness, the production, the work ethic, and the attitude to be very successful players in the NFL. I'd say these two are as sure of a thing as you could hope for in the draft.

I'm still leery of both being available to us. Teams are going to look at all they bring to the table, and fight us for them. If we could convince a team like Washington to take a package of 28, it would probably include 60 and both our 3rds to get it done. That might get us to ten, but then we'd probably still have to maneuver to get 17 a couple spots ahead. Our 4th round pick might do that.

That would mean we'd have to trade away 4 picks to move into position to get two guys. It would be worth it though. With the team being fairly well rounded right now, we could afford to maximize our picks. We need a pass rush, and Watt and Kerrigan added to our defense now could be dynamite.

Add Watkins at 33 and we're looking good;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore