PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you trust Butler to take on Antonio Brown? And if not, what adjustments do you make in coverage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrong. The Patriots clocked Malcolm Butler at 4.4. They made him run it several times to confirm. The 4.6 was from his pro day. It is not accurate. There can be a lot of reasons why a player runs below his normal time at a pro day; could be nerves, not warmed up properly, whatever. What matters is the Patriots clocked him at 4.4 repeatedly. Sorry I give that much more weight.

Bill Belichick Details Scouting Malcolm Butler To Duke’s Coach K

Belichick said. “When we scouted him at West Alabama the information on him wasn’t accurate and somehow or other his times and kind of athleticism got lost in the shuffle as sort of a slower corner that was just an OK athlete.

Butler’s reported 40-yard dash time was 4.62 seconds, though it was obvious from watching him this season that he’s much faster. The Patriots clocked Butler with a 4.4-second 40-yard dash when they privately ran him through the pre-draft drills, the cornerback’s agent told ESPN.com.

MBs 40 time reminds me a bit of Randy Moss' situation.

BB knew MB was faster than 4.6 and of course, it turned out he was.

Randy was supposed to have lost speed and on the decline in 2007. We all know the story. BB did his due diligence and worked Moss out- and his 40 time made him the fastest wr in the nfl- STILL. They quickly signed him to a cheap deal and kept him under wraps until the Jets game and BOOM!

Both situations once again show why the Patriots are seemingly always a step or two ahead of the rest of the NFL. Its not all BB, in both cases there were Pats scouts who strongly advised BB to give both players a look- but BB needs credit for that too- by having a culture of talented staff that he has empowered to give their opinions and whom he trusts.

9 times out of 10, Antonio Brown doesn't drop that ball

Butler has to have safety help on those kinda deep routes

Brown is fast, but he's not as fast as Will Fuller. Fuller was the fastest WR at the combine this past year and I watched every snap of his at Notre Dame. He's a guy who turns a half step of separation into two steps in just a few strides, excellent acceleration. Not that Brown doesn't have skills Fuller doesn't have to get open, but Butler likely would have covered that ground with the ball in the air against Brown with the same degree of separation. Doesn't mean I think they should have him one on one against Brown, just pointing out that Fuller is significantly faster than Brown.

Don't expect to see many blitzes in this game. Probably more zone than man to man just to eliminate big plays. I think Ben isn't sharp so he'll make the odd mistake. It would be funny if BB does a LeBeau and use some zone blitzes.

9 times out of 10, Antonio Brown doesn't drop that ball

Butler has to have safety help on those kinda deep routes

He's given up 133 and 106 to Brown the past two meetings, so this narrative of "Butler is shutting him down" is silly. This isn't a game where people can point to the fact that he almost had it, or that he was "right there" in coverage, like they did in the 2015 season opener. It's great to see contested catches, but Brown needs to be held in check. Butler isn't going to get a gold star for effort this time around.

I definitely agree with you about the safety help.

Brown also isn't fast enough for a quarterback to throw it up as deep as possible and let him run to it and create separation that way. That usually leads to underthrows on those routes, as quarterbacks try to hit a target rather than trusting that the receiver can "outrun" the throw. In fact, I'd be surprised if Brown even runs that route from that far inside the formation.

I think the game plan will be different this time. Brown is the only WR or TE they have that is a threat, unless you count Bell. I think they double Brown, Ryan and Safety help. Then put Butler on someone else. Of course, Butler will get his fair share of Brown but not exclusively. I think Butler can shutdown everyone else so it would be a waste to have him with safety help on Brown. The rest of the D will be containing Bell. Don't expect to see many blitzes in this game. Probably more zone than man to man just to eliminate big plays. I think Ben isn't sharp so he'll make the odd mistake. It would be funny if BB does a LeBeau and use some zone blitzes.
I remember a BB miked up show vs the steelers from a couple of yrs ago, imploring patricia "Can we blitz this guy?"

Brown is fast, but he's not as fast as Will Fuller. Fuller was the fastest WR at the combine this past year and I watched every snap of his at Notre Dame. He's a guy who turns a half step of separation into two steps in just a few strides, excellent acceleration. Not that Brown doesn't have skills Fuller doesn't have to get open, but Butler likely would have covered that ground with the ball in the air against Brown with the same degree of separation. Doesn't mean I think they should have him one on one against Brown, just pointing out that Fuller is significantly faster than Brown.
Its not probably just break away speed which matters but how to setup a play to get open and then start the after burners. Playing fast and a fast player are different.

Its not probably just break away speed which matters but how to setup a play to get open and then start the after burners. Playing fast and a fast player are different.

This is true, which I noted in my post, but if you watch the clip, it's a straight up fly route and there actually *is* safety's help, it's just late because Fuller is ridiculously fast. He eats up a decent cushion by Butler of about five to seven yards in like three strides and blows by both Butler and Harmon, who is so surprised by Fuller's speed that he doesn't even have a chance.

Fuller just ran as fast as he could off the line, destroyed the cushion they gave him and ran under a monster throw by Osweiler. It was a laser from the 50 yard line. Not surprising, as Osweiler has one of the strongest arms in football if you're not factoring in how long it takes him to release the ball.

A WR like Fuller is perfect for a QB like Osweiler, who has amazing arm strength but very little accuracy on the deep ball. The point is, Brown doesn't have the speed to run what was essentially a seam route in a bunch formation against a solid cushion with safety help overtop, outrun the defense flat out and run under a fifty yard frozen rope.

If the Steelers go deep with Brown, they run double moves near the sideline and give them a back shoulder option. In fact, they run back shoulder deep balls to Brown by design and rarely put him in a position where he has to just flat out beat the corner downfield with no double move or anything.

In other words, we likely aren't seeing that play design against that defensive look from the Steelers, at least not with Antonio Brown in Fuller's role.

Also, Fuller's hands aren't good, but there's a reason the throw clanged off his hands... He still should have had it, but it was coming in hot. Osweiler got a crow hop and launched that thing. I'm not surprised Fuller dropped it.

Last edited:
Don't really trust anyone to do it.
However if i could only pick one cb he'd be right up there with some really good
names.

Funny you should say that, because according to Next Gen stats, Antonio Brown leads the NFL in separation among wide receivers

Antonio Brown leads Top-10 No. 1 WRs in separation

1) Antonio Brown, Pittsburgh Steelers (2.92 separation at target)

Out wide separation: 2.9 (88 percent of plays)
Slot separation: 2.69 (21 percent of plays)
Air yards per target: 11.2

Arguably the NFL's best wide receiver, Antonio Brown just wrapped up his fourth-straight season with 100-plus catches and 1,200-plus receiving yards. He's scored 43 touchdowns over that span, as well. Thus, it is no surprise to see him atop this ranking of No. 1 receivers. The fact that the Brown leads a metric measuring separation is fitting, as it is emblematic of what makes the wide receiver so great.

Brown was a sixth-round pick from Central Michigan. He stood at just 5-foot-10, weighed 186 pounds and had nothing remarkable in his measured athletic profile that would have indicated a future NFL star. Yet, Brown snagged a spot early in the Steelers wide receiver rotation because he was a great route-runner, and rose up the ranks of the NFL's pantheon of elite wide receivers because he mastered the art of separation. Brown checks in here with 2.92 yards of separation on his targets this season. His score was a full 0.15 yards higher than the wideout ranked at No. 2. There is no wide receiver in the NFL better at getting open than Antonio Brown.

Watching some of the plays from the week 6 game , pats let brown have a clean release quite a lot worried about him running them by. I think steelers will run a lot of slants which they saw miami run effectively and have our weak coverage LB's exploited. That matchup scares the crap out of me.

Watching some of the plays from the week 6 game , pats let brown have a clean release quite a lot worried about him running them by. I think steelers will run a lot of slants which they saw miami run effectively and have our weak coverage LB's exploited. That matchup scares the crap out of me.

:oops:

1. That's a recipe to jump the route, especially in man coverage. 2. They can have quick slants all day until the field shortens.

I am thinking that they put Ryan on Brown with help over the top and leave Butler 1-on-1 with the number 2 receiver. That should allow the Patriots to bring Chung down into the box to help contain Bell.

That would be my thoughts, this year Chung has assumed this role often and well..

The "Pats Mensa Society" has had an extra day and a half to come up with a great defensive plan.. poor Mikey!!!

They will move the ball on us. A lot.
They key will be forcing field goals and keeping the huge chunk yards at a minimum. There is a ton of pressure on our defense. I hope a raucous home crowd will help.

Kevin Duffy of masslive.com breaks down how the Patriots are going to need to limit the big-play potential of Antonio Brown:

Just how good is the New England Patriots top-ranked defense? We'll find out Sunday

**Containing Antonio Brown

The strength of the Patriots' defense all year has been its ability to limit big plays. In two meetings since the 2015 opener, Brown has gains of 33, 37, and 51 yards. All of those were deep passes.

Brown has not turned any short passes into long gains, and the Pats must make sure this remains the case Sunday.

Against Miami in the Wild Card round, Brown took a screen pass 50 yards for a touchdown and a slant 62 yards for a touchdown. That's how you lose games.

If the Pats play sound defense and Ben Roethlisberger still hits Brown for long passes in tight coverage, then so be it. But the deep dropbacks and long throws are not high percentage plays, even for the Steelers. Those situations invite the pass rush. Roethlisberger can be prone to turnovers and poor decisions.

But if the Steelers can generate big plays with simple screen passes and slants, the Patriots will be in immense trouble.

The key for the secondary is to take good angles on Brown and gang tackle. Strength in numbers, as they say.

The Pats are not going to completely shut down the Steelers. This will be a bend-but-don't-break game. And this will be the Patriots' first true defensive challenge in months.

T

In other words, we likely aren't seeing that play design against that defensive look from the Steelers, at least not with Antonio Brown in Fuller's role.

Darrius Heyward-Bey is not as quite fast as Fuller but he still has the speed to run a good fly pattern. Whether he catches the ball or not is another story. If you see a similar play that's probably the WR who will run it.

Butler will shut down AB if she shadows him all game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes