PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you trust Butler to take on Antonio Brown? And if not, what adjustments do you make in coverage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The big advantage our secondary has is we bring the lumber. If Ben leaves some floaters off scrambles, his receivers are going to feel it. You know we are going to be smacking them at the line of scrimmage. Bell worries me more than Brown with his ability to break people down when he gets to the second level by run or pass. Brown we can scheme for to a certain extent. He is top 3 receiver in the league and he is going to get his, but he won't be the one keeping drives going. I think we will have a much easier time controlling his impact than Bell.

Curran: Patriots' affinity for tackling has taken them this far

Every team at every level values tackling. But the Patriots prioritize it even among players whose reputations are more tied to their ability to cover. Malcolm Butler’s a Pro Bowl-level player but he’s one of the most physical corners in the league. Logan Ryan’s strengths are ball skills and tackling. Devin McCourty is one of the best in the league because he understands angles, has exceptional range and hits. And Patrick Chung’s a linebacker in a safety’s body.

Last edited:
I trust MB on AB.

He will not shut him down completely.

I'm honestly terrified of the back shoulder throw to Brown. It's pretty much impossible to defend against and if it's not completed, there's usually enough contact to draw a flag because of how quickly Brown changes direction in his routes.

It also renders pressure less impactful, as it's a throw Roethlisberger can make from his back foot or pretty much any other contortion. Really, the Steelers' ability to play a backyard football style when Ben leaves the pocket is friggin' worrisome.

I always like Rich Hill's commentary. He really thinks giving Brown mutiple looks is thd way to go, and that at times, it may be necessary to have Butler on a island (!)

Can the Patriots stop Steelers RB Le’Veon Bell or WR Antonio Brown?

Brown has only been limited in three games this year: two against the Bengals, and one against the Dolphins and former Bengals defensive coach Vance Joseph. He racked up 119 yards from scrimmage against the Patriots back in week 7

The Bengals and Dolphins have had success slowing down Brown with a pretty simple strategy: they double cover him. No matter what the play is, they hit Brown at the line to disrupt his timing, and then they devote a second player to covering Brown in support of the cornerback.

The Patriots could do that with Butler and help by FS Devin McCourty or FS Duron Harmon, but it might be a better use of defensive resources to place Butler in single coverage of the #2 receiver for the Steelers, and allow CB Logan Ryan or CB Eric Rowe to jam Brown at the line of scrimmage. The Patriots know that it will be a team effort to slow Brown’s production.

Of course, the Patriots will have to make a tough decision to double Brown on every snap because Bell is arguably a bigger threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft