PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do we really have the 4th best roster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that Dawson is more likely to be on the 53 than Rowe; don't you? Our 3rd CB is a nickel back. I also believe that Dawson should be penciled in as our most likely nickel back, over Rowe (competing with J Jones who is injured).

I think it is premature to predict all that much regarding Rowe/Dawson as we haven't even had TC yet never mind an exhibition game...

Not a huge fan of Rowe, but know little about Dawson..

I think that Dawson is more likely to be on the 53 than Rowe; don't you? Our 3rd CB is a nickel back. I also believe that Dawson should be penciled in as our most likely nickel back, over Rowe (competing with J Jones who is injured).
Rowe has played well for us but just hasn’t been able to stay healthy. When he’s out there he’s done a good job. Of course many fans think of a corner allows a completed pass he sucks so it’s hard to get a consensus on corners. Had butler not been a SB hero he would have been enemy #1 on this board.

We could keep Jackson as a developmental player, as we have often done before. There is always room for 1-2 developmental players who would be expected to be inactive all year. Their positional notation doesn't matter much.

Never saw it with Rowe like so many others have.

If McCourty shows anything, that’s 3 locks (Gilmore, Dawson), with J.Jones being in darn good shape to take another spot as a 4th, and a guy like Jackson battling Rowe for the final spot.

I’m holding my breath for Captain Stone’s input. #donotresuscitate.
Sorry to disappoint you (and many others I'm sure), but I've now returned to the Sweetest Place on Earth from 1+ week in Orlando/Ocean City, alive & well.

As for the OP, a top-10 roster ranking for the Pats is reasonable; a top-4 ranking is generous.

Rowe has played well for us but just hasn’t been able to stay healthy. When he’s out there he’s done a good job. Of course many fans think of a corner allows a completed pass he sucks so it’s hard to get a consensus on corners. Had butler not been a SB hero he would have been enemy #1 on this board.

No. Butler had done all he could in the SB and Kearse's catch was a freak play. Rowe just misses a couple of tackles. We needed one or two third-down stops to win.

I think it is premature to predict all that much regarding Rowe/Dawson as we haven't even had TC yet never mind an exhibition game...

Not a huge fan of Rowe, but know little about Dawson..
It is too early to project, but Dawson’s 2nd round draft status pretty much makes him a lock.

I think right now we’re looking at:

Gilmore
Dawson

And 3/5 following, probably with only one of the rookies making it, if any:
Rowe/McCourty/Jones/Crossen/Jackson

Sorry to disappoint you (and many others I'm sure), but I've now returned to the Sweetest Place on Earth from 1+ week in Orlando/Ocean City, alive & well.
Random dumb ass question of the day, but do they still have the Troegs brewery up there? There used to be a beer that I liked that came out around Xmas time that they’d limit you to one case per car or something.

Rank them however they will. I’m excited about this roster. I love the new guys and am excited for some of the young guys who have another year of experience.

If we stay moderately healthy (the only thing that’s ever held us back) we have another great shot.

It is NOT too early to project a 2nd rounder as making the 53. Every one under Belichick has done so (as well as every 2nd and 3rd rounder).

It is too early to project, but Dawson’s 2nd round draft status pretty much makes him a lock.

It is NOT too early to project a 2nd rounder as making the 53. Every one under Belichick has done so (as well as every 2nd and 3rd rounder).
Sounds pretty much like what I’m saying, no?

As far as the projection comment, he was speaking in a general sense, or at least that’s what I took from it. From that standpoint, I would agree that it’s not only too early to get a good read on, but that the competition itself is wide open aside from two locks, one of which is Dawson.

More off season silliness to keep us occupied until training camp. The Eagles, Falcons and Saints are 1-3. The Vikings, Chargers, Steelers, Cowboys, Rams and Jags round out the top ten. I thought we'd be ranked much lower, given we supposedly only have 2 of the top 100 players in the NFL

4. New England Patriots

Biggest strength: It's Tom Brady. Do we need to say anything else? Brady led all QBs last season with a 95.5 grade -- his third straight season north of 93.0 -- and his 96.6 passer rating under pressure was higher than the passer rating that 22 quarterbacks earned from a clean pocket.

Biggest weakness: The linebacking corps -- specifically the middle, which is currently occupied by Elandon Roberts. Roberts ranked 69th among interior linebackers last season with a 41.6 grade, which was regression from the 61.1 he posted as a rookie in 2016. He ranked last in the position with just a 6.2 run-stop percentage while also surrendering a 144.3 passer rating in coverage.

By the numbers: Rob Gronkowski converted 84.7 percent of his targets (again, that's targets, not receptions) into either a first down or a touchdown in 2017. The league average among tight ends was just 54.1 percent, and the second-highest rate was O.J. Howard at 76.9 percent.
Grades:
Offense
QB Tom Brady 95.5
HB James White 73.2
TE Rob Gronkowski 93.3
TE Dwayne Allen 56.3
WR Julian Edelman N/A
WR Chris Hogan 50.9
WR Jordan Matthews 41.7
LT Isaiah Wynn N/A
LG Joe Thuney 79
C David Andrews 81.8
RG Shaq Mason 81.1
RT Marcus Cannon78.1
Defense
DE Trey Flowers 87.8
DT Malcom Brown 83.3
DT Danny Shelton 81.5
DE Adrian Clayborn 85.5
OLB Dont'a Hightower 45.9
ILB Elandon Roberts 41.6
OLB Kyle Van Noy 47.6
CB Jason McCourty 83.9
CB Stephon Gilmore 89.4
CB Duke Dawson N/A
FS Devin McCourty 82.6
SS Patrick Chung 79

Ranking NFL rosters from 1 to 32: Super Bowl champs on top

These lists are so silly.

The Chargers always have a "great roster" but can't even win their division

Well the obvious answer would be second best.

Serious question for those who have followed the Pats offseason like hawks.........

What have the Pats done to improve defensively besides Clayborn? Obviously that's a huge gain, but we've also lost a big piece in Malcolm Butler. So why should we expect the defense to be much better? Hightower's "return" should be a huge help but I fear we can't count on him being healthy.

Not trying to be a nay-sayer, in fact, I'm begging someone to give me confidence the confidence that the defense will be great and that the Super Bowl was an outlier (at the worst possible time).

Serious question for those who have followed the Pats offseason like hawks.........

What have the Pats done to improve defensively besides Clayborn? Obviously that's a huge gain, but we've also lost a big piece in Malcolm Butler. So why should we expect the defense to be much better? Hightower's "return" should be a huge help but I fear we can't count on him being healthy.

Not trying to be a nay-sayer, in fact, I'm begging someone to give me confidence the confidence that the defense will be great and that the Super Bowl was an outlier (at the worst possible time).
The biggest issue was the run defense, which cost us the SB (164 yards and 6.1 average) and came in 31st (4.7 YPC) during the season. The addition of Shelton and return of Valentine in the middle should help that tremendously.

Hightower
Shelton
Clayborne
Rivers
2 rookie LBs
Are additions to the front 6.
The only subtraction is branch.

I also expect a 2nd year jump for wise.

McCourty is here to replace butler.
Dawson and Cyrus Jones are additions to the sub package possibilities.

Ooh, I forgot about the addition of McCourty. I have no basis for this, but I have a feeling he'll be a guy that is better for the Pats more so than other teams. I think we'll get the best out of him by knowing the best way to use him. Again, no basis for this, but speculation. His brother is a smart guy who plays the system very well, let's hope his brother is the same.

Random dumb ass question of the day, but do they still have the Troegs brewery up there? There used to be a beer that I liked that came out around Xmas time that they’d limit you to one case per car or something.
Sorry for the late answer; we had another busy week here and on the road.

Yes, Troegs now has a brewery/restaurant/pub located a couple of blocks east of HersheyPark. They don't carry the Sunday Ticket unfortunately, otherwise I would probably watch the games there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back