PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do we draft a TE high...or go the FA/trade route

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imagine this speed and athleticism paired up with Gronks power.

• Agree
Reactions: ALP
I like Bennett but I don't want to pay another TE so much money. He's good but not really special and doesn't threaten defenses enough to warrant 7-8 million a year. The other problem is he's 30 years old and will want a 3+ year deal. Do we want that commitment?

I'd rather draft a TE in round 1 or 2 and develop them for less than 1 million a year for the next 4-5 years. Use the money we save to re-sign Alan Branch or Logan Ryan.

Bennett can play well into his 30's, he's not much of a speedster, he is going to get open with his big body and football IQ.

I think Bennett only leaves if a good team offers him money, I find it hard to believe he'll go back to play for a mediocre franchise.
At this point, it's all about the Benjamins. Wouldn't be shocked if he goes to a sucky team. He has his ring. San Francisco makes sense since he loves coding and creativity.

Yup, Njoku is very talented, very explosive. If we picked him at #32 I would not be upset. Also depends if we resign Bennett, though I think we have like a 5% chance of signing him, I think he's as good as gone.

Reported 6'7" and 277lbs. Adam Shaheen of Ashland.

May need some developmental time stepping up from Ashland to the NFL but he's a rare combination of size and athleticism. Also take a look at Michael Roberts of Toledo. 11 5/8 hands (over an inch bigger than Gronk's), weighs 264 and has reprtedly run a sub 7.00 3-cone.

If Bennett still refuses Bill's earlier offer of reportedly $7M/year, then thank him for his service and use that money elsewhere. But I also don't want to see #32 used on a TE either, unless by some miracle ALL of Sheard, Branch, Hightower & Ryan are re-signed.
Even if the above should happen, we still need a 3-tech DT, another DE, coverage LB, another CB, Power Back, and especially a Swing/Left Tackle.

I think the Pats take a fast LB or a CB in the first round. Then they can snag Evan Engram in the 2nd?

Not sure that's "usual", we've taken a lot of TE early. Graham, 1st round. Watson, 1st round. Gronk, 2nd round.

TE is clearly a position Bill will take early with no qualms. And although it's a difficult position, the early rounders have all been successful.

How do you know Graham, Gronk, and Watson weren't BPA at the time?

Gronk would've easily been BPA if it weren't for the back surgery;
the others weren't.

He looks great in the open field, which I think the Patriots seek in their TE's.

I wish I had a better sense for whether seeing this guy run through the open field and shed college level tacklers is translatable to the NFL, where defenders are faster, better in coverage and much more effective tacklers.

Reported 6'7" and 277lbs. Adam Shaheen of Ashland.

May need some developmental time stepping up from Ashland to the NFL but he's a rare combination of size and athleticism. Also take a look at Michael Roberts of Toledo. 11 5/8 hands (over an inch bigger than Gronk's), weighs 264 and has reprtedly run a sub 7.00 3-cone.

this is what I have been thinking......still have lengel, too......

He looks great in the open field, which I think the Patriots seek in their TE's.

I wish I had a better sense for whether seeing this guy run through the open field and shed college level tacklers is translatable to the NFL, where defenders are faster, better in coverage and much more effective tacklers.

I've said in the draft forum that I think there are only four or five prospects with higher upside than Njoku (Garrett, Lattimore, Hooker, Jamal Adams, Solomon Thomas). Njoku has the potential to be one of the top three TEs in the league, he's that explosive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3